XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Anyone plagued by cracks spreading on your windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Anyone plagued by cracks spreading on your windshield?

I know a cracked windshield is a problem but I'm wondering if the aluminum chassis flexes more and adds to windshield cracks spreading. I have a crack from a rock that started two weeks ago at 6", I have watched it grow to about 18-20" now. I sometimes hear it crack when I hit a dip in the road or a speed bump. Something that flexes the chassis. I don't drive the car hard, this is during just normal driving. I know these are supposed to be stiffer chassis' than steel but I wonder...

I'm not thrilled with the $750 bill for a new windshield either.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I had a crack on a Rovr 75 I once had. It started out from one of the front windshield pillars. So it was not caused by a rock.

Windshields on modern cars provide part of the body rigidity, so are stressed by the normal movement of the car on the road. Here in the UK your crack would be an "MOT failure", our roadworthiness test, and force replacement or the car cannot be legally driven on the road. Yes, windshields are expensive, but again, here in the UK are normally part of one's insurance if stone damage occurs. My car is covered this way.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In Virginia, where I live, the location of the crack or flaw determines whether it passes it's annual inspection. Fortunately mine is on the far right (passenger) side so it at the moment doesn't interfere with vision. My auto insurance covers it but I have a $400 deductible. I'm not sure if I want to make a claim and pay $400 or pay the $750 and not use the insurance. (I have a shrinking deductible, the longer I go without a claim the lower my deductible goes)