XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Arnott Air Suspension Review

Old 01-31-2012, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arnott Air Suspension Review

Hey all, of course I got the dreaded "Air Suspension Fault" and "Vehicle to Low" lights. So I took it in to Jaguar and they found that my right air suspension air bag is leaking.

I didn't want to pay over 2k for them to install a pair of remanufactured air suspensions, so I decided to do a little research on my own and found a brand new pair of Arnott's is only about $900

So my question is, for those of you who went from the factory air suspensions to the Arnott's air suspension, have you noticed any of difference as far as ride quality? Thanks for the help

Old 01-31-2012, 03:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i just ordered the 2 front ones so i guess i will let you know soon ...

Old 01-31-2012, 05:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jsedita74
i just ordered the 2 front ones so i guess i will let you know soon ...
Hey sir... who does your work in NY. How much would replacing those 2 arnotts run - If you're not doing it yourself.

Edit: I see you may be going to a dealer... Ray Catena? Manhattan? There are options if you know your stuff..
I also see you need some rear bushings... I suggest you get them from a low mileage (20-35,000) car and get em indie installed. I have a guy who did mine and it runs like butter now

Last edited by rudelover2; 01-31-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

I replaced my OEMs with Arnotts about 2 weeks ago and have not noticed any difference in ride. They were in fact, easy to replace if you follow both Jag and Arnott's instructions. I have not recieved any suspension error codes as yet.

Try this: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...lacement-3912/

Last edited by reyesl; 01-31-2012 at 08:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
charliepace (01-31-2016)
Old 02-01-2012, 10:32 PM

Thanks for the replies all....I decided to go ahead and give the two Arnott Air Shocks a try. So when I have them installed this weekend I'll give everyone my review on how they drive.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

Those more knowledgeable please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Arnott units as originally produced and sold are a rebuild of the Jaguar originals, and retain the original shock; only the air spring diaphragm (rubber) is replaced. If so, the it is difficult to see how there might be a variation.

However, there are now the new Arnott steel spring units, and also the new Arnott air spring originals with inevitably different dampers now on sale, so there will be a variation. The key difference is the CATS-type Jaguar variable dampers are not provided so you would lose this if you used the new Arnott originals, (air or steel).

Old 02-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

about two weeks ago, I installed arnott's coil over conversion on my 04 XJ8. It was a great buy if you want to rid the car of air suspension issues once and for all. The only change I feel in the Jag now since it has coil over shock instead of the air struts is that is seems to have a bit more body role. The ride is just a bit softer.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Arnott makes new, rebuilt and coil spring conversion replacement air suspension systems for Jags. They all come with a limited lifetime warranty and you can returm anything within 30 days if not satisfied. Here is a link to Arnott's Air Suspension for the 2004-2010 Jauar XJ Series.

JAGUAR Air Suspension Parts - XJ Series 2004-2010 XJ Series

The following 3 users liked this post by arnottdoug:
Drifter8282 (02-05-2024), electraglide1600 (01-18-2014), jahummer (02-04-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 09:48 AM

I just had them put on yesterday and for whatever reason my ride doesn't feel as smooth as the old air suspensions. I can feel the bumps a lot more with these ones. I'm hoping because they're brand new its gonna ride smoother once they break in. I also need a new pair of tires, so that may also be another reason I'm not getting a smooth ride.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I have a failing air compressor and a possible faulty spring unit but the difference in ride quality and body roll would be my biggest concern with the non-OEM solutions.

The new Arnott coil over shocks and newer air/mono-tube units are described as "Valved to Ride like the OEM Air Suspension" but the X350 CATS system has two settings so are they valved for the soft setting or somewhere in the middle? The CATS system used to default to the hard setting occasionally on my X308 and it was like driving a car with no suspension as you could feel every imperfection in the road so the hard setting it pretty hard.

The variable shocks of the CATS system has the advantage of giving a soft ride but will stiffen up on cornering to stop body roll, anti-dive and anti-squat for accelerating and braking. They also get switched to hard mode if the car detects undulations in the road causing the body to start undulating vertically and various switching strategies between back and front, left and right sets to aid cornering.

CATS is being improved on with each new model as the later cars now have variable settings rather than just hard or soft so Jaguar seem to think it is worth having but in the real world how much difference does this actually make?

Old 02-05-2012, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

but in the real world how much difference does this actually make?
I suspect not very much unless the car is in an extreme situation where the driver is close to losing the car, or has lost it. We all seemed to manage perfectly well without it a few years ago, so you could say it is not necessary. To me it is something else to go wrong that I do not really need or want, but I'm stuck with it as it was a standard fitment, not an option.

Only problem we would have in the UK is fitting the Arnott units takes out the CATS system, and is therefore a modification, and has to be declared to the insurer of the car. They might refuse to cover the car, or ask for more money. Also our MOT (roadwothiness test), is shortly to become even more detailed, and not having CATS when it was an original fitment may cause a car to be refused a certificate. Only if it was an option can it be removed and still get an MOT certificate.

Things seem much more relaxed in the US.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
I suspect not very much unless the car is in an extreme situation where the driver is close to losing the car, or has lost it.
It sounds like you are talking more about DSC. Isn't CATS mainly to allow the car to have a softer ride but to still be able to control wallowing and body roll?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM

hello reyesl
thx for your notes on the other post. i am about to buy the arnotts.. I have a CATS suspension. and the arnott part number is AS-2395/6 can you tell me which you bought and why??
Silverbullet

Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a question.

Just how 'adaptive' is the adaptive suspension? I read stories here about how it stiffens the suspension when cornering, etc. I have to ask: how much can it possibly 'adapt' under quickly changing conditions? Is it really able to go from 'soft, smooth ride mode' to 'stiff, rigid cornering mode' in the split second it would require when a corner is suddenly encountered? Because the systems works by pumping air in and out of chambers, I find it hard to believe that it could adapt so quickly. Or is that what the 'sport' button does?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I just replaced my fronts with Arnott rebuilt units. I wanted to retain the original system with the sport suspension. I was told by their tech that the coil-overs would somewhat softer ride. I believe the rebuilt struts use Goodyear air bladders and carry a lifetime warranty. I like them.

As others have said the installation is pretty straight forward except... don't be like me (and apparently many others) and fail to remove the replacement nuts from the top studs. And, bear in mind that after you remove the ride height sensor as JTIS says to do you will need to get the ride height re-calibrated. I have seen instructions somewhere on the web that tell you how to do the install without having to re-calibrate. Dealer cost to recal ~$120.

Good luck

Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM

I am about to do the same (xj8 125,000mi) can you please tell me the part number you bought from arnott AS 2395 OR 96?
Silverbullet101

Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

You did much better on wear than I. I just bought the car in Oct. with 62k and they leaked on the first cold day we had.

I ordered the 2396 because I have an XJR and wanted the firmer suspension. I imagine the 8's use the comfort setting and, hence, use a 2395. To be sure I suggest giving Arnott support a call. They were very helpful.

Simple job, I can send you the workshop manual section if you need it.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

There are a couple detailed threads with photos, I replaced mine using them in conjunction with the maint manual. Did not require recalibration.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:28 PM
psg
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Has anyone tried the new Arnott made air struts (its seems without the cats 2 stage valving)? They still have the electrical connection on top of the strut so I wonder what this works. On the OE struts I presume it is the 2 stage CATS valving (however you 'valve' air to stiffen it up). I get an occasional air suspension fault warning so i'm probably due soon for struts or a compressor soon. Do the fronts go before the rears or is it random? Thx

Stu

Old 01-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Unlike the OEM equipment which will need a signal to dampen from firmto soft. The Arnott Front Air Shocks part AS-2519 have internal dampening and will come with a bypasssensor built in to the top to bypass the message on the dash. Call Arnott at 800-251-8993 or email marvin@arnottinc.com for more information. Visit our site for information including a manual you can download and short installation video. https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...36_gid699.html

The following users liked this post:
psg (01-28-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Arnott Air Suspension Review