XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Arnott Air Suspension Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have not noticed a difference in the ride since converting to springs (Arnott). I know this, I'll not have to worry about the other three failing (rear passenger failed), or the compressor failing, or the lines failing, or the computer failing..etc. $1200+ change and $350 labor for peace of mind. Changed out those sorry lug nuts while I was at it.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by magnum8398
Have not noticed a difference in the ride since converting to springs (Arnott). I know this, I'll not have to worry about the other three failing (rear passenger failed), or the compressor failing, or the lines failing, or the computer failing..etc. $1200+ change and $350 labor for peace of mind.

OK the thread is about the Arnott air suspension replacement shocks, not the Arnott coil overs but...

Haven't noticed a difference? Really? Too funny.

You can argue about performance, cost-benefit, personal preference, OEM quality all day long but to say "no difference"? You bum must be numb

And while the coils and shocks are cheaper, they too wear out and they aren't free.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Wagstaff
OK the thread is about the Arnott air suspension replacement shocks, not the Arnott coil overs but...

Haven't noticed a difference? Really? Too funny.

You can argue about performance, cost-benefit, personal preference, OEM quality all day long but to say "no difference"? You bum must be numb

And while the coils and shocks are cheaper, they too wear out and they aren't free.
Oops, sorry. Saw Arnott and just jumped in...however, as far as the ride goes...my XJ VP had well over 200K miles by the time I bought it and did the replacement....maybe that accounts for the equitable performance.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

I don't think most will see a difference or might see an improvement
The reason I say this is most have comfort suspension
The Arnott shock is valved somewhere between comfort and sport, so mist will find the Arnott a tad firmer than stock
For those like me that have sport suspension is a loss and would be felt.
I could not live with the loss of the cats especially in the track

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers
34by151

Old 02-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any latest developments from Arnott regarding the air suspension being manufactured now in 2017 and 2018?

CATS/ no CATS/COMFORT etc.

Anything from Arnottdoug?

Old 02-22-2018, 06:00 AM
NDW
Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Arnott air struts

Originally Posted by lotharkumar
Any latest developments from Arnott regarding the air suspension being manufactured now in 2017 and 2018?

CATS/ no CATS/COMFORT etc.

Anything from Arnottdoug?
Read this thread, Doug has a comment towards the bottom of the first page. I installed the AS-2888's and have been pleased. My comments after installation are on page 2.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...beware-195091/

Old 02-22-2018, 10:16 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I ordered the AS-2888 a few days ago. Hopefully it will match the driving characteristics of the one already installed, the AS-2710.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 AM
NDW
Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BlacXJRcat
I ordered the AS-2888 a few days ago. Hopefully it will match the driving characteristics of the one already installed, the AS-2710.
I and my wife both noticed that the car drove more "solid" and "tight", we like the way it feels now. And an added bonus is no more clunking noise at low speeds.

The following 2 users liked this post by NDW:
arnottdoug (02-22-2018), BlacXJRcat (02-22-2018)
Old 01-23-2020, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by JayJay
I just had them put on yesterday and for whatever reason my ride doesn't feel as smooth as the old air suspensions. I can feel the bumps a lot more with these ones. I'm hoping because they're brand new its gonna ride smoother once they break in. I also need a new pair of tires, so that may also be another reason I'm not getting a smooth ride.
Arnott coil-over shocks were installed on my 2005 XJ-8 and the ride was soo 'bumpy' that I had them replaced with Arnott air shocks. While the coil-overs did provide slightly better handling, I am not looking to run road races or go around corners at 90 MPH...I am looking for a comfortable luxury ride! The Arnott air shocks have indeed smoothed out the ride.
My Jag now 'steps over' railroad tracks much better; unfortunately, there is now a high frequency low intensity vibration that wasn't there when the original OEM shocks were in place.
This vibration is not tire balance nor is it alignment and it is very noticeable at a stop light...when the vibration stops!!! Any thoughts, anyone?

Old 01-23-2020, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

R M T rebuilds stock Jaguar shocks, which allows you to keep the cats feature.
Which is less money than new Arnotts air shocks, which are on one of the Jaguars, & work well.

Last edited by Wingrider; 01-23-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:39 AM
Question Arnott Air Shocks vs. Coil-over Shocks

I had Arnott coil-over shocks installed on my 2005 XJ-8 but the ride was soo 'bumpy' that I had them replaced with Arnott air shocks. While the coil-overs did provide slightly better handling, I am not looking to run road races or go around corners at 90 MPH...I am looking for a comfortable luxury ride! The Arnott air shocks have indeed smoothed out the ride.
My Jag now 'steps over' road irregularities as well railroad tracks much better; unfortunately, there is now a high frequency low intensity vibration that wasn't there when the original OEM shocks were in place. This vibration is not tire balance nor is it alignment and it is very noticeable at a stop light...when the vibration stops!!! Front lower arm control bushings replaced, rear control arm bushings replaced and lower front ball joints in knuckle replaced. Any thoughts regarding vibration?

Old 02-07-2020, 01:53 PM
Default I have had mixed results with Arnott, but they have stood behind products

All four corners have the Arnott Air Struts on my XJR. The newer Arnotts appear much more heavily constructed, and appear as the Bilsteins now. Arnott uses Continental rubber, so that should hold up well. A year ago I had a rear go out that my local jag shop had replaced the previous year. Arnott replaced it, and I paid for labor. Since then, I have replaced the other corners with the newer design. After the first replacement, I became much faster at swapping out the struts. Yesterday, I did a rear in an hour and would have been faster but had to remove the emergency brake to have room to free the shock. Arnott has a lifetime guarantee, but it is a pain to be without the car while waiting on a unit to be sent. Of the ones I installed I have had no failures.
I would caution that when working on front strut replacement, be careful with the the ride height sensor, I broke one on my first attempt changing out drivers side front. On the rear, go ahead and remove the emergency brake to have more room to work, it only takes a few minutes and greatly eases removal and replacement.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:02 PM
Default Jaguar xj xk350 Arnott suspensıon

We changed 3 out of 4 old Bilstein suspensions with new Arnott suspensions because one of the 4 new Arnott suspensions ıs not working, 2 on the rear and 1 on the front: We are waiting for replacement of the 4th non-working part. However, after changes, the front suspension drops 2 cm and the rear suspension drops 5 cm 1 hour after turning off the engine. When restarting the engine. suspension resumes to normal after 30 sec. We hope after replacing the 4th old Bilstein suspension with a new Arnott suspension on the front to complete the replacement of all 4 suspensions that the issue will be resolved. Does anyone have any experience with this type of issue?Thanks.

Old 09-18-2023, 01:07 PM
Thumbs down Arnott Air Suspension

To anyone getting the Arnott Air Suspension or some other type of replacement!!!
The Drive Is Not The Same!!!
You'll be able to feel every bump & the turn definitely is not the same.

Model: Jaguar
Year: 2006
Make: XJ 8 L

I understand it's more money & at the time I wish I would've heeded the replies other's made on this form.

Old 09-25-2023, 09:48 AM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Arnotts

[QUOTE=Fraser Mitchell;464084]Those more knowledgeable please correct me if I'm wrong, but the Arnott units as originally produced and sold are a rebuild of the Jaguar originals, and retain the original shock; only the air spring diaphragm (rubber) is replaced. If so, the it is difficult to see how there might be a variation.

However, there are now the new Arnott steel spring units, and also the new Arnott air spring originals with inevitably different dampers now on sale, so there will be a variation. The key difference is the CATS-type Jaguar variable dampers are not provided so you would lose this if you used the new Arnott originals, (air or steel).[/QUOTE

I've also read that Arnott only replaces the air bag and uses the original shock which is why I've never considered using them. New air bag and worn out shock don't seem worth much. I'd be happy to change my mind if someone knows for a fact that Arnott uses all new components.
I just read the "beware" link from above and visited Arnott's website. So, I would have to consider using them now that they manufacture new units. Can't know how they would ride or last, but that's the same with any new suspension component, air or coilover. Since using any aftermarket suspension defeats CATS, I guess it comes down to cost. I've already put the 04 XJR on coilovers from Motorcars LTD and they are fine. I'll have to make this decision for the 09 in the future I imagine. It already has the Jag front suspension clunk at 53000 miles, but I'm not doing anything with it for now. Occasional interstate cruiser and the knock isn't an issue there.

Last edited by luv2fly; 09-25-2023 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Updated information