XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Battery for 2006 x350

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

My last car (Lincoln LS) had the original battery from 1999 to 2016. Even worked after parking overnight at -30F in the last winter I used it.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 269 Likes on 201 Posts

You guys in North America are really lucky. I last noticed that an OEM car battery fitted to an Honda Acura TSX 2.0 carries a 5-year guarantee sticker. All car batteries sold in Hong Kong would rarely last more than three years. I had one on my Volvo 240, which suddenly died without any forewarning after two years; same with my Mercedes W124. It could be the product lines sold in Hong Kong (no one knows or cares what "CCA" is) make very good business (many back street battery-and-tire stores will go out of business if the batteries have an average life of 5 years), or maybe too many short trips and city stop-and-go traffic quickly kill the batteries.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW 8-10 years. Not down here. Never seen more than 3 years.

Texas and Georgia seem to have the longest battery life probably due to the handgun open carry laws.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battery Choice and THANKS to all

Sorry for the delay in responding .. but, better late than never, I guess.

First, let me thank everyone for their kind and generous replies to my original inquiry concerning a battery for my new 2006 X350. (She's red and the original owner named her "Scarlett.")

After reading all the posts, I decided to go with the Exide Global Extreme L5/49x series battery as suggested by BoOX in his post. Well .. I thought I was going to get that one.

I checked the Home Depot website which said that two locations in my area (Los Angeles) had the battery in stock, but had "limited supply." I decided to be sure and call first. That touched off a two day saga.

I won't bore you with the details, but after being on hold and transferred from one department to another for more than three hours, I was told (at one location) they had three of the batteries, but they were all "bad" or "marked as not working." I gave up on the other location after waiting for more than four hours on the phone.

Fortunately, VEFFREMOV noted that Pep Boys had a sale on Bosch batteries. They had an online sale for one with 480 CCA for $116 and one with 900 CCA for only $134 (the one I bought). I called my mechanic (who has worked exclusively on Jags for more than 30 years) who said that Bosch is the brand he recommends and that the price was lower than he can buy it.

Battery fit perfectly. But, I did have one problem. An error code of P505B appeared after I drove it less than a mile. That meant, yet another call to my mechanic who told me that it is a nothing code and probably was the result of the battery change. He said it should go away after a while.

I searched this forum and found that there is a fix for this error code. I won't put it here since it involves several steps like a hard battery reset and turning the A/C off and on. (If you need this and can't find it here in the Forums, let me know and I will re-post.)

Bottom line is that all is now working perfectly. I know I could have just said "thanks" and that I got a Bosch. But, I wanted to add a bit of detail to illustrate just how helpful this Forum is and how much I appreciate everyone who took the time to respond.

Now, I have a lot of other questions about my new girl Scarlett. I will probably post a few photos and info along with the "new owner questions" that I have.

Thanks to all!!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (07-17-2017)
Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 AM

Glad you got the battery issue worked out.
As far as the new girl. Probably better not to ask questions that we don't want the answer.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen this old gal did some research and once again it seems the testosterone is clouding common sense.
I was getting B1676 Battery voltage out of range.
I took to place I bought battery not 1 yr prior and they say it is good. I write the mechanic who said everything emanates from bad battery.
Yet when I tell him the battery shop says everything is good the best he could come up with is quote "Curious. Only time will tell"
When I pointed out the lack of a scientific response he simply ignores me.
So I check with a dealer and the battery I have is correct for my 2004 XJ8 VDP. And there is no difference between models as some have suggested in other posts.
For reference it is an H8 with 825 CCA.
Now the next question must be.
Is there any reason not to believe Jag dealership?
Are they aware you guys talk about Calcium vs Magnesium and every other vitamin.
You are all too funny.
I hope I am allowed to copy and paste this answer to another segment where guys are arguing about size.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:30 PM
Received 12,740 Likes on 6,381 Posts

Hi annaim,

The charging system in the X350 was designed for the original Varta silver calcium batteries, which were able to tolerate and benefit from higher charging voltages than standard lead acid batteries, but are, unfortunately, no longer available. If your 1-year-old battery is intolerant of the higher charging voltages in your X350, it may be aging prematurely. Have your mechanic measure the battery with a high quality conductance tester (Midtronics is probably the best-known brand), and have him check your starting and charging systems while he's at it.

825 CCA is on the low side for an X350. The Bosch and Exide Global Extreme H8 batteries are capable of 900 CCA and 1080 CA, with capacities of 107 Amp Hours (Jaguar's original specification is 90 Ah). Our member Box has confirmed with the manufacturers that these batteries can handle an X350's charging voltages.

One possible cause of B1676 is that the charging system voltage is too high or low, but bear in mind that your battery's performance depends on the condition of all the power and ground connections throughout the vehicle, and high resistance due to corrosion or looseness at any of these connections can also trigger B1676.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 11-08-2017 at 07:17 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (10-21-2017), annaim (12-04-2017), Box (10-18-2017), EssOess (10-21-2017), paydase (10-20-2017), philwarner (10-24-2017), wwr (04-05-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-07-2017, 08:53 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

"Calcium batteries can take elevated charging voltages. Go to Home Depot and find an Exide Global Extreme L5/49x series. It's a calcium plate technology specifically suited for your XJ8. It's also only $119. 4 year free replacement and free jump, 9 year prorated. Interstate (owned by Johnson Controls) no longer has a calcium plates."
For a battery with the price like this, I don't see any reason not to buy it. Thank Box!

annaim (12-04-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Box
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by annaim
Gentlemen this old gal did some research and once again it seems the testosterone is clouding common sense.
I was getting B1676 Battery voltage out of range.
I took to place I bought battery not 1 yr prior and they say it is good. I write the mechanic who said everything emanates from bad battery.
Yet when I tell him the battery shop says everything is good the best he could come up with is quote "Curious. Only time will tell"
When I pointed out the lack of a scientific response he simply ignores me.
So I check with a dealer and the battery I have is correct for my 2004 XJ8 VDP. And there is no difference between models as some have suggested in other posts.
For reference it is an H8 with 825 CCA.
Now the next question must be.
Is there any reason not to believe Jag dealership?
Are they aware you guys talk about Calcium vs Magnesium and every other vitamin.
You are all too funny.
I hope I am allowed to copy and paste this answer to another segment where guys are arguing about size.
Just so there is no confusion concerning what Jaguar actually specified for the X350~X358 series, here is the XJ specifications. Please take note under the "Electrical Systems" specifications for "Battery" for type and minimum sizing.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2004xjspecs.pdf (100.8 KB, 204 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Box:
annaim (11-13-2017), Don B (11-08-2017)
Old 11-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Newsguy
Amazing price. I see they also have an AGM battery at a cost of $245. Is it worth the extra money? I assume the AGM will last longer, but I can get two of the others for the same price. Any thoughts??

i put an optima agm battery in my truck. It was the first and last. I was not impressed with agm tech. Nothing but a pita

Old 11-08-2017, 04:11 PM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slownlo
i put an optima agm battery in my truck. It was the first and last. I was not impressed with agm tech. Nothing but a pita
The problem with using an AGM technology battery with the elevated charging voltages, it will overheat the cells, and AGM has sealed cells. Those sealed cells capture the water inside during the charging process. Any voltages that persist over about 14.2 will cause overheating, cell damage and failure.

The following 2 users liked this post by Box:
Don B (11-08-2017), paydase (11-15-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:45 AM

What I love about Jaguar is the ridiculous specifications that have for everything. Degree of boot opening angle! Door opening angle! Best one is permitted roof load......OK great now I can tell my wife, she, her purse and the shih tzu may find themselves riding with that cool breeze in their hair.

ANYHOW>
Deka makes Silver Calcium, but I've never had one of those last more than 2 years on my dual battery f250 diesel. Prorated replacement is horrible.

Again, Bosch L5 AGM has been working great for almost 2 years in Super V8. It has a vent tube allowing some escape of vapor. Never had a code, never has an issue with these batteries on multiple cars.
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) @ 0F 850
Cranking Amps @ 32F 1020
Reserve Capacity 160

4 year free replacement is unheard of in my area. Sale price at Pep Boys is as low as $150. Just replace the 2 in my v10 Touareg.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:25 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been having good luck with Walmart batteries

My Walmart 04xj8 battery is 1000cca and has proper vent tube

It really is just down to what the user finds works best for them. . From what's available locally , price and reliability

I would imagine much of batteries could be opinion as they all basically work out of the box.lifespan could be sitiuational. I try to save masonry where sensibly possible and spend it on other parts

Last edited by slownlo; 11-09-2017 at 09:28 AM.
annaim (12-04-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Asked the battery supply place i've debt with for years, about the A G M's, and lithium ion's as well, for auto's. We sell both, for your motorcycle's A G M's are the best, for your automobile's the regular flooded type, with the highest C C A's, is your best buy.

Old 11-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Any recommendations on solar battery tenders?

Old 12-04-2017, 06:24 AM
Old 12-04-2017, 06:31 AM
Default Thanks Findre.

Originally Posted by findre
What I love about Jaguar is the ridiculous specifications that have for everything. Degree of boot opening angle! Door opening angle! Best one is permitted roof load......OK great now I can tell my wife, she, her purse and the shih tzu may find themselves riding with that cool breeze in their hair.

ANYHOW>
Deka makes Silver Calcium, but I've never had one of those last more than 2 years on my dual battery f250 diesel. Prorated replacement is horrible.

Again, Bosch L5 AGM has been working great for almost 2 years in Super V8. It has a vent tube allowing some escape of vapor. Never had a code, never has an issue with these batteries on multiple cars.
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) @ 0F 850
Cranking Amps @ 32F 1020
Reserve Capacity 160

4 year free replacement is unheard of in my area. Sale price at Pep Boys is as low as $150. Just replace the 2 in my v10 Touareg.

Where did you buy Deka. I have written them to see if their product is silver calcium. I sure hope so.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:39 AM

Deka are made and distributed in Fort Lauderdale. BUT, as I said they are junk batteries with bad warranty. I went through 4 batteries, 2 at the time on my F250.....cost me a fortune $400 first time and another $250 with their prorated nonsense. Warranty was useless..AND those were silver calcium batteries.....their best of the best.

Buy a Bosch and donate the difference to charity if you really want to spend the money.

Last edited by findre; 12-05-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 AM
Box
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by annaim
Where did you buy Deka. I have written them to see if their product is silver calcium. I sure hope so.
Visit your local Home Depot and get Exide's Global Extreme L5/49X for a little over $100. 4 year free replacement and jump, 9 year pro-rated.

Don B (12-05-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Box
Visit your local Home Depot and get Exide's Global Extreme L5/49X for a little over $100. 4 year free replacement and jump, 9 year pro-rated.
But if Exide is no longer a silver calcium then I am no better off than with the normal battery I currently have. At least that is what all the experts here on forums say.

Quick Reply: Battery for 2006 x350