XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Broken air cleaner box - suspect mechanic did it

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 07:24 PM
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Broken air cleaner box - suspect mechanic did it

I had a indy mechanic install new engines mounts (I purchased) back at the end of September. I'm generally suspicious of indys as they don't follow the Jaguar procedures all the time. I inspected the induction pipe before giving them my XJR and all was good. They did the engine mounts, I inspected the induction pipe when I got it home, the induction pipe didn't seem like it had been disconnected during the job.
Fast forward to last weekend and when I was checking the oil dipstick and I noticed the air cleaner box was loose, the two plastic clips that hold the top part of the box have been sheared off from the base, and some of the plastic around the base of the clips are gone too. So, the air box doesn't close and there is two large holes where the clips use to be. The holes would be allowing unfiltered air into the engine.

I contacted the mechanic shop that did the engine mounts and they advised they didn't remove the induction pipe when they performed the job, they advised they never do when doing engine mounts. They denied all responsibility and claimed they couldn't have broken the clips off of the top lid. They were the only mechanic that performed work on the car during the period it could have broke.

I did notice before the mounts were changed, that the air cleaner box was extremely tight to remove and I was unable to remove it to check the air filter, the clips would un-clip and I could only lift the lid of the box about an inch.

Anyways, I just checked the Jaguar workshop manuals and step number 1 in the engine mount replacement procedure is to remove the induction pipe from the engine.

So does anybody have any experience doing engine mounts? Would lifting the engine without disconnecting the induction pipe cause damage to the induction like what I'm experiencing??

Old 12-12-2016, 07:55 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

The reason why the cover was fitted so tight that you couldn't remove it to check the filter is because the air box is supposed to be disconnected from the tube and the mounting bolt removed completely remove the box from the car to open the lid. I had to replace the box on my car because someone tried to force the lid off without removing the tube or pulling the box. One of the tabs snapped leaving a large hole in the side of the lid. Sounds like they did the exact same.

The following users liked this post:
JagsteRJX (12-12-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 12:15 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Torrid
The reason why the cover was fitted so tight that you couldn't remove it to check the filter is because the air box is supposed to be disconnected from the tube and the mounting bolt removed completely remove the box from the car to open the lid. I had to replace the box on my car because someone tried to force the lid off without removing the tube or pulling the box. One of the tabs snapped leaving a large hole in the side of the lid. Sounds like they did the exact same.
My 06 SV8 came with both of the air box top tabs broken off and the box top loose. That was 600 miles from home but with the help of a Jag-Lovers member who had checked the car for me, we drilled holes in the bottom piece tabs and wire tied the top down for the trip home. Been that way since and I just renew the wire ties when I need to remove the air box. Not elegant but it works.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Look down to post number 4 for the fix (video)

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...charged-98339/

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (12-16-2016)