XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Bushing Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bushing Replacement?

I have a low mileage 2006 VP. At a recent service appointment The mechanic showed me the condition of the bushings. Most are dried and cracked and he suggested I replace the related parts. As you all know control arms..etc. are very expensive. I asked if bushings only could be replaced? He thought that Jag would only sell the entire part and not the bushing. This call has always been in a no snow climate, so no rust or salt.

Suggested part service for my suspension they noted is:
(center link?) Front bushing torn on both sides
Front Control arm bushings need replacing both sides
Rear left and right link pin bushings all cracked

My question to the group, are bushings (only) available? It would seem this would save me $2500-3000. Assuming the metal arms...etc. are in good condition, are there drawbacks to replacing the bushings?

Thank you

Old 10-26-2015, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Sorry, but it's not immediately clear what you have problems with.

Taking the front suspension, this consists of upper and lower wishbones, which are called control arms in the US, I believe. The trunnion bushes on the lower wishbone are available separately to the arms and cost about £30 here in the UK. The lower wishbone is made up of two separate aluminium forgings with the trunnions at one end. One of these is a "hydra-bush" to give better refinement, I'm not sure which arm it's on. Replacement involves dismantling the lower wish bone arms then swapping out the bushes using a press and suitable mandrels.

The front upper wishbones are a single piece aluminium forging with a ball joint at the apex, and two trunnion bushes at the other ends. AFAIK, none of these are available separately. These arms last a long time, but are expensive when you need one.

Then there is the front air spring which has a lower mounting bush pressed into the straight arm of the lower wishbone. These are cheap to buy but labour-intensive to replace if the securing bolt has seized up.

For the front "sway bar" or as we call it in the UK , the "anti-roll bar", you have two connecting links to connect the bar to the lower wishbone. There are no separate parts for these. There are also two bushes for the bar itself.
The rear suspension is also a double-wishbone arrangement. The lower trunnion bushes are available separately, but not from Jaguar. Again, the whole arm has to come off so the bushes can be swapped out. The rear upper wishbone is the same build as the front, with no separate bushes available.

There are also two tracking rods with an outer ball joint and these have no separate parts available, but are not expensive to buy.

Rear sway bar basically the same layout as the front, with link rods and sway bar bushes. The link rods have no maintainable parts available separately.