XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Busy repair weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 04:24 PM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Busy repair weekend

Now that the garage floor has been dug out and replaced with a fresh 4 inches of concrete I got to work on some Jag projects. I have owned the car since November but haven't really been able to dig into it until now. I feel like I'm performing automotive forensics to figure who did what to this car over it's 15 year life. Some of it seems fine and some things have been done rather carelessly.

1. Opened the back of the headlight that got filled with water during a recent torrential rain storm. I placed a heating pad over the front of the lens and left it all day. Water gone. Noticed a couple of things: The seal on the back cover is old and pinched in places so this explains the leak. ANY IDEAS ON REFURB? I also noticed that the HID unit was not clipped in place so it was pulled out of position slightly. This could explain why the headlights have been cross-eyed! But why would it be loose?

2. Realized that some evil person replaced some of Radiator Splash Shield fasteners with nuts and bolts that have to be accessed from the back to remove it. Except you CAN'T access it from the back... Grumble. Finally borrowed the skinny kid next door and he reached around the fender liner like it was nothing; Does anyone know what fasteners are supposed to be used here including the blind threaded clips and WHERE TO GET THEM?

3. I started trying to figure out what is wrong with the headlight washers. With the bumper off I used a pressurized garden sprayer hooked up to the feeder hose (kind of proud of this one) and blew a bunch of brown gunk out of the nozzles. I don't think they were clogged enough to not work so I believe the pump is also a problem. If I have to replace the headlight pump should I do the wiper pump at the same time? Should I just replace the entire tank? (the one on my 95 BMW used to crack every two years!) Does anyone know a good SOURCE FOR THESE PARTS?

4. Plan to do all the grounds while everything is open. If I'm seeing this right there are 2 on the passenger side and 1 on the drivers. Is that it?

5. There's a bunch of loose wires and connectors under the passenger headlight that are hanging down onto the Radiator Splash Shield that look like they must have been dressed better originally. Does anyone know what these are and possibly have a picture of how it all should look?

Overall I like what I see about the design and quality of this car and I'm really enjoying working on it. She is sometimes subtle but not malicious. Of course this forum saves many hours of head scratching so thanks to all for that!

Jeff

Old 04-14-2019, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 622 Posts

No need to replace any wiper part .

Access the tank from the front wheel well and pull out the little motor

you will lose all the content of the tank. Wash out the tank since you can

get crud built up on the bottom which can block the pump.

Test before replacing wheel well cover.

Have fun!