XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Car doesn't start :( plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Car doesn't start :( plz help!

I recently bought a Jaguar at an online auction. It was sold as a run and drive vehicle. When i picked up the 08' XJ8 (with rear damage) is acutally did not start... contrary to what it said on the site.

The engine cranks.. the battery is now full. It wants to start (turns over) but doesn't.
I figured it was low on gas (judging by gage) so I put a heck load of gas to it. The gage didn't budge still shows as negative gas.

Since I bought the car damaged at the back I figured it might be the inertia switch, I check it and tried to reset it. But it still doesnt show that there is gas.

My judgement tells me there is something with the fuel system... everything else works (except ebrake ununtil I found out the issue). I checked all the fuses multiple times none of them seemed broken.

The ebrake was locked as well (didnt hear module work). So I check the fuse box again (damage at back of car is exactly where the fuse box is) Then I noticed at the back of Fbox that two plugs where disconnected! (seemingly from the impact). I plugged them in and the ebrake module started working.

Could it be that the fuel system fuse system is busted? Theoritically if all the other fuses give me a reading and the fuse responsible for the fuel system isn't giving me a reading then maybe that particular plug (one of the two that came out) is responsible for the fuel system not working?

Please help this is driving me crazy!! I'm an idiot student that makes irrational desicions I spent all my money on this stupid car and can't afford to take it to jaguar for diagnostics.

What else can I check?
I'll post a pic of the connected that looks busted at the back.

Val

Old 02-15-2013, 02:33 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In the right rear of the car is the Rear Electronic Module and that powers fuel pump. Need to remove all trunk trim and check all connectors at REM.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Here is what I discovered at the back of the fuse box. Both the dark grey plugs in the pictures were unplugged. I connected them both back in and the ebrake module started working.
If you notice one of the plugs is ripped at the fusebox. Could this be the issue? How can I check if that is the issue?

Attached Thumbnails Car doesn't start :( plz help!-1.jpg   Car doesn't start :( plz help!-2.jpg   Car doesn't start :( plz help!-3.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by JagMaSteR0917
In the right rear of the car is the Rear Electronic Module and that powers fuel pump. Need to remove all trunk trim and check all connectors at REM.
Mr.Jagmaster what do you mean by REM? EDIT- Acronym for the prior.

Also, is it supose to be near the fuse box somewhere?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Default Found the REM!!!

Noticed those 4 plugs. are suppose to be plugged in? I thought I would ask first. Just in case...

Attached Thumbnails Car doesn't start :( plz help!-rem.jpg  

Last edited by VanJaggerstien; 02-15-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM

The fuse box looks broken. May need to be replaced. Yes those 4 connectors do need to be plugged in to the bottom of the REM.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 PM

I plugged those things in and it works. Thanks very much Jagmaster. I can finally take it to the body shop...

Old 02-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,937 Posts

One has to ask why these plugs were disconnected or damaged in the first place. Something arising from the accident ?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
One has to ask why these plugs were disconnected or damaged in the first place. Something arising from the accident ?
Thats a good question... My first impression was that they came out when the vehicle was rear ended. However, judging by the damage (which is fairly mild; will post pics and make repair thread) it wouldve never have popper out.

So that leave one other option. Someone must have pulled them out. Possibly someone at the auction that wanted to drive the price of the car down for his/her benefit.

I was bidding online and there was only one other person at the auction bidding in person for this vehicle. I was suprised there was only one other person as judging by the pics (and now that I own it) it looked and is pretty mint; but the slight damage at rear and front headlight.

I think other people thought wow, this car doesnt start, im not gonna bid it'll cost a heck load to repair.

That's the only logical conclusion. Unless those plugs are knows to pop out on their own accord I can't think of any other reason.

If I am correct then that person was super sneaky... But alas I won the vehicle. Pretty epic and im really happy now that shes fully operational.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:18 AM

You are welcome. Have a good day and God bless.