XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

cat bypass / decat

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:33 AM
Aix
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Apart from torque and power considerations, personally I wouldn't remove my catalyst for a completely different reason, which is emissions (and that's what they are originally there for).
Without trying to look like a nerdy environmentalist, which I'm not, I do like the fact that it's possible to operate our cars without emitting more hydrocarbons, nitrogen oxides and carbon monoxide than necessary.
And I personally wouldn't change that for a few non-utilized kW or Nm more, which I don't use in my daily driving anyway.

Just my few cents, not all that can be done has to be done by all means.

The following users liked this post:
Eric-in-Texas (08-24-2021)
Old 07-13-2018, 05:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

By the same token I don't take 'Partick' (that's him, above left, he's a Tdvi) into my local city (Bristol) unless there are very good reasons. Twenty years ago I gave up a job in London (which I very much enjoyed, the job and the place, but believe me you could cut the traffic fumes 'with a knife' in London) because I started suffering from asthma (previous jobs had all been in rural areas). The X358 Tdvi is Euro 4 and whilst that's very good for not emitting particulates it's still not very good on NOx emissions. The 358 Tdvi doesn't have exhaust gas treatment ('AdBlue') which is what gets the NOx figures down on Euro 6.

I use my old manual g/box petrol Hyundai Getz for city driving... which I would change for a hybrid IF Hyundai they made one the same body size as a Getz and with a sunroof (ya' listening Hyundai ?)

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 07-13-2018 at 09:28 AM.
jazzyjags (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 10:53 AM
Received 239 Likes on 148 Posts

I haven't had cats in a while now. I had the Hi-flow cats for a bit then had those removed. Both made a difference in power. Before I had my car tuned, I made 352/338 rwhp/tq on the dyno (with the other popular bolt ons and the cat deletes). They sell j-spacers, cat daddy's, etc to keep your CEL from coming on. My car is terrible on emissions and on gas mileage, and I love it. Wouldn't trade it.

So I guess it depends on your personal preference like many other things with our cars.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cats difference

Hi Jazzyjags,

One of my next mods was going to be an upgrade from the standard cats to 200 cell cats as I don't fancy the hassle of having to swap out straight pipes come every mot,
But how much of a difference did you notice between the standard cats, sports cats and straight pipes?
Which step was the biggest difference?

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-28-2018, 05:22 AM
Received 239 Likes on 148 Posts

I think the hi flow cats would be your best bet. I felt a nice difference in response and acceleration when I went from standard to the high flows. Those had the mesh in them, but you could see right through to the other side, so great for maintaining proper emission while allowing much more flow.

Basically the flow through those was great; but you have to have your car running in optimal condition. No vac leaks, misfires etc. If you don't, you will destroy the cats. That's the reason I went to straight pipes. I had a misfire that ended up clogging the cats and with the flow of the exhaust, ended up pushing the mesh out of the cat and into the pipe behind it. Heavily compressing the mesh from its original high flow size into a solid ball/plug of metal which completely restricted my exhaust.

So if you want more flow, the 200s are great. Just make sure everything is tip top on your combustion side.

Straights are very loud. I like it and deal with it, but that step is when my car went from being a powerful luxury limousine to being a muscle car. I know the older/future me would want to shoot me for it. But for now, it suits me.

Tesla (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 06:16 AM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

I got 200 cell cats fitted nearly 2 years ago, I noticed a power increase. It picked up nearly 2mph on the 1/4 mile. MPG is possibly improved also, I can get 35+ UK MPG on the motorway.
I don't use spacers for the sensors, as I have heard they mess up the fuelling and worsen MPG.

Tesla (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Wooford XJR
I have an 05 XJR, My first exhaust mod was to remove the center resonators and replace them with an X-pipe. This improved the exhaust a note some and I don't recall much of a performance gain. My next step was to replace the converters with strait pipes that I made myself with O2 simulators. The car was way too loud. I installed a magaflow X muffler in place of the X-pipe and the exhaust note was more tolerable. The car is louder than most of Jaguar purist would like, but It sounds good to me. I do get the occasional check engine light, but I can reset it. I may try to add some spark plus anti foulers like Brutal to the simulators to see if the keeps the check engine light from coming on as often.

The car runs strong, but I don't have access to a chassis dyno near me to check the HP. The car also has a 3 LB Pulley, Caldoofy intake, Mina Gallery cone air filter and upgraded inter-cooler pump.
I get a 20 MPG on the interstate. Could be a little better if I kept my foot out of it. we don't have MOT or emissions testing in Kentucky.

Woofard XJR
I did something similar to you Woofard.

Replaced the front resonator with an x-pipe but also have 200 cel cats.

I like the additional "noise" which is not noticeable at highway cruising speeds 70-85 mph. I get about 23-24 average mpg on a 450 mile trip.

However under hard acceleration my SC whine overpowers all other sound.

The only time I had any code was when I originally installed the mini cats that came with the replacement 200 cel cats. I also had clouds of smoke under hard acceleration.
Once I removed those everything was fine and never a code since then.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys for that good advice, I did wonder about any requirements for jiggery poker of the downstream O2 sensors, I'm planning to replace all 4 for new standard sensors when I change out the cats as part of my preventative maintenance.
So far the combustion side of things seems very good, very clean.
HC=0
CO=0
O2=0%
CO2=15%
Which is all bang on, but will still be replacing sensors as part of maintenance.

I didn't realise the hi flow cats were so easily damaged so that's a very interesting bit of information, certainly means a keener eye needs to be kept for any hiccups with the engine.

All in all though some good confirmation as to the benefits of less restrictive catalysts.
I'll post once I've done the modifications, my biggest problem is access to a lift for enough time to get the exhaust off, cut, measure, swear, cut again and weld it all back up.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tesla
Thanks guys for that good advice, I did wonder about any requirements for jiggery poker of the downstream O2 sensors, I'm planning to replace all 4 for new standard sensors when I change out the cats as part of my preventative maintenance.
So far the combustion side of things seems very good, very clean.
HC=0
CO=0
O2=0%
CO2=15%
Which is all bang on, but will still be replacing sensors as part of maintenance.

I didn't realise the hi flow cats were so easily damaged so that's a very interesting bit of information, certainly means a keener eye needs to be kept for any hiccups with the engine.

All in all though some good confirmation as to the benefits of less restrictive catalysts.
I'll post once I've done the modifications, my biggest problem is access to a lift for enough time to get the exhaust off, cut, measure, swear, cut again and weld it all back up.
I did all my exhaust mods with drive up ramps with no real problem. I used an hydraulic exhaust expander for joins and clamps instead of welding with the intention of getting it welded later.

It took me several iterations of geometry to get it right.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

I uploaded a Youtube video of a run I made a while ago where I forgot to switch off DSC. If wheels slip with DSC on with the LSD fitted it sometimes
seems to "bounce".
In this run I accelerated with pedal about 3/4 down. If the people walking were not there I would have started earlier.
In all the years I have driven this route this is the first time I have seen people walking!

Old 08-24-2021, 05:08 AM
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I know this is an old thread but I can't believe there are so many misinformed people here.
First off, backpressure is NOT a desireable trait in an exhaust system EVER! PERIOD! It does Nothing for torque. Geezus!
It's often a necessary evil when tuning the length of a system using baffles. The timing of the sound waves is everything. Once they hit the end of the pipe, they do a 180. If these reach an open intake valve, the result is reversion. Reversion is bad and will result in a cloud of fuel coming out of a carb or throttle body at certain rpms and a nasty dip in torque will present itself. Ideally they're diffused well and carried out with the next outbound wave and never make it back to the engine.
You can have all the torque in the world with the right length of wide open drag pipes!!!
Cats are bad! They're restrictive as hell and also cause heat issues. It's no wonder y'all have had issues with brittle plastic parts!!! Cats are not your engine's friend. They are only there because of stupid government meddling. Same with routing your engine's breathing back into your intakes. Nothing good comes from that. Only bad.

Old 08-26-2021, 02:43 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree, what about just disemboweling the cats and simply welding them back up?