XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

a couple simple questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts
Default a couple simple questions

Sorry if these have been answered before, I didn't find anything in searching.

1. Wiper park: I moved the stalk up to intermittent to wipe away dew this morning, put back to "off" and the wipers just stopped in the middle of the windshield. I actually had to manually time it so I could get them to stop at the bottom. That's not normal, is it?

2. Temperature gauge: was 32F degrees this morning, let the car warm for a minute or two, drove 4 miles at 55-60 mph, had plenty of heat, but the temp gauge was only at the 1st major tick mark (halfway between cold and middle). On the return trip it got up to almost full temp, but never to full.

Yesterday in driving the car it did get up to normal temp pretty quickly (middle tick mark) and stayed there with no problems. Is this normal? Or might I have a stuck thermostat? I don't think so, since I had heat very quickly. Bad gauge sensor? I don't know if this car uses a separate ECT sensor for the PCM and gauge.

Thanks,
-Michael

Old 01-27-2013, 02:00 PM
JRP
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Your wiper issue does not seem normal.

I would be willing to bet you need to replace your thermostat. When I first got my car and temps were in the 50's in Seattle WA area my vehicle would reach normal operating temp, but seemed slow in warming up.

With a recent cold snap, engine would not warm up according to gauge beyond the 1/4 mark. After a few different drive cycles a check engine light appeared.
Sure enough the thermostat was bad, when old was removed (I have a two piece thermostat on 06 XJR) the seal that prevented fluid from getting around the tstat was deteriorated and causing fluid to cycle through regardless of temp. Replaced the tstat and no problems since.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you!

*sigh* The t-stat I'm not too worried about, I'll get a new one and change the coolant (probably never serviced since new). Is there a decent brand I can get online, or should I just get from the dealer? Should I worry about the t-stat housing at the same time?

Hope the wipers are covered under the Jaguar Select warranty, since I'll bet they will have to replace the motor. Tomorrow I'll try wiping by just pulling the stalk and see if they return to park.

Is there an OE brand for air and cabin filters? Mann?

Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mhamilton
Thank you!

*sigh* The t-stat I'm not too worried about, I'll get a new one and change the coolant (probably never serviced since new). Is there a decent brand I can get online, or should I just get from the dealer? Should I worry about the t-stat housing at the same time?

Hope the wipers are covered under the Jaguar Select warranty, since I'll bet they will have to replace the motor. Tomorrow I'll try wiping by just pulling the stalk and see if they return to park.

Is there an OE brand for air and cabin filters? Mann?
Regarding thermostat replacement, some recent discussion here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=657485#post657485

I am not sure which cars have one piece vs two piece thermos, but replacement is straightforward.

Thanks
-mag

Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you for that link! Pictures are always great. Sounds like it's the same symptoms... definitely not getting up to temp this morning. I'll get one on order along with some of the other maintenance items. I have an '06, the online parts catalog shows a one piece? But then looking at online parts places it may be the 2 piece. Didn't want to have to buy a tstat from the dealer

So I just need a tstat and the oring seal for the cover? Should be simple enough.

And was reading in the manual today and searching online, this car takes orange DexCool or G05? I think what's in the car is more pink than orange, would that be the G05?

Thanks again,
-Michael

Last edited by mhamilton; 01-28-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

My '06 does have the 2-piece t-stat. Ordered it and the seal from the dealer, $83 for the pair. After searching around online found that the best price I could get for the t-stat was $50, so for an extra $10 I can just pick it up locally and be assured of the right part.

The coolant in my reservoir is pink, is that OE type? Or the Zerex G05? I'm going to drain and refill either way. Definitly not "orange" as the label states.

Also found that my wiper motor is still covered under warranty, so I'll get the car to the dealer to have that taken care of next week. Wipers don't seem to work at all in intermittent--if I put it to the 1st position, they go up but never come back down. I have to hold the stalk forward until the wipers are on the downward stroke if I want them to park. I may check the connection to the motor, but not expecting to find anything. Does anyone have a schematic for the wiper?