XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Crackling from speakers

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,258 Likes on 1,417 Posts
Default Crackling from speakers

From time to time, even if there is no audio source playing, there is a crackling noise coming from the speakers that gradually increases in frequency & volume until I turn it off and restart the car. Sounds like digital signal noise on a poorly decoded signal.

Ideas?

The following users liked this post:
912guy (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

try rebooting the media module....have you ever done that?At times the fiber optics can have apoor connection,and it you reboot the system from the main that will work as a system check or flash...let me know if you need help...also let me know what year and what is included in your entertainment system cdc,tv,etc?

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (12-08-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the media module?

The car has NAV, CDC, ACM, DVD, rear entertainment, in-dash CD, AM/FM, PSE, bluetooth.

This is another one of those annoying gremlins, I think the problem has been present for several years, it just seems to be worse lately. Perhaps it is just a coincidence. Turning the car of and on or unplugging the appropriate fuse does the trick too but that can be annoying.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 912guy
try rebooting the media module....have you ever done that?At times the fiber optics can have apoor connection,and it you reboot the system from the main that will work as a system check or flash...let me know if you need help...also let me know what year and what is included in your entertainment system cdc,tv,etc?
I am also curious about this media module reboot. I have recently had a problem with the speakers not working. It often happens when the Rear entertainment centre isn't recognized by the menu on the Nav screen. I have a 2005 XJ8-L with AM/FM/CD/CDC/Nav/and rear entertainment centre. Do you think the reboot will help, or at least identify the problem? I would like to know how to perform the reboot.

Thanks

Old 12-09-2011, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Fairlane500
I am also curious about this media module reboot. I have recently had a problem with the speakers not working. It often happens when the Rear entertainment centre isn't recognized by the menu on the Nav screen. I have a 2005 XJ8-L with AM/FM/CD/CDC/Nav/and rear entertainment centre. Do you think the reboot will help, or at least identify the problem? I would like to know how to perform the reboot.

Thanks
ok the modules are just the idividual units....ex.cd changer being a module itself,nav unit a module itself,and the dvd player is a module also...these make up whats called a media stack in the rear that will be mounted vertical on the left side of the trunk.The main is the center front console control head, or unit.This is where you control the stack...I would 1st unplug the neg battery terminal and let her sit for 30 mins.Then reconnect and then see if that works, but to reboot the system here is the procedure as follows:

hold the AM/FM and EJECT at the same time then EJECT and MIX this will command the main to recycle and reboot the fiber optic line..you will see some numbers appear on the screen may say something like dts 9920 or main 9900 etc..thats fine that means its trying to reestablish connection.It takes only a few seconds....it should reconnect and if this works this would mean the fiber optic signal was weak..if this doesnt work, you may have a frayed speaker wire which would have to be fixed...let me know good luck

Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

ok the modules are just the idividual units....ex.cd changer being a module itself,nav unit a module itself,and the dvd player is a module also...these make up whats called a media stack in the rear that will be mounted vertical on the left side of the trunk.The main is the center front console control head, or unit.This is where you control the stack...I would 1st unplug the neg battery terminal and let her sit for 30 mins.Then reconnect and then see if that works, but to reboot the system here is the procedure as follows:

hold the AM/FM and EJECT at the same time then EJECT and MIX this will command the main to recycle and reboot the fiber optic line..you will see some numbers appear on the screen may say something like dts 9920 or main 9900 etc..thats fine that means its trying to reestablish connection.It takes only a few seconds....it should reconnect and if this works this would mean the fiber optic signal was weak..if this doesnt work, you may have a frayed speaker wire which would have to be fixed...let me know good luck
Then removing the fuses does the same thing, and that is only a temp fix. The crackling in my case is digital noise, similar to a failed decode on a DAC, and gets increasingly worse until I switch off the car.

Next time this issue arrises, I will try your hard button reboot and see what happens.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ok the modules are just the idividual units....ex.cd changer being a module itself,nav unit a module itself,and the dvd player is a module also...these make up whats called a media stack in the rear that will be mounted vertical on the left side of the trunk.The main is the center front console control head, or unit.This is where you control the stack...I would 1st unplug the neg battery terminal and let her sit for 30 mins.Then reconnect and then see if that works,
The car is currently in storage for the winter and the battery is disconnected (positive terminal unhooked). When I reconnect it in the spring - I assume that's the same thing as you described above?

Old 12-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member

hold the AM/FM and EJECT at the same time then EJECT and MIX this will command the main to recycle and reboot the fiber optic line..you will see some numbers appear on the screen may say something like dts 9920 or main 9900 etc..thats fine that means its trying to reestablish connection.It takes only a few seconds....it should reconnect and if this works this would mean the fiber optic signal was weak..
Did not do anything. When I pressed AM/FM & EJECT I was given the RDS ON/OFF option. When I pressed EJECT & MIX I was given a brief message MAIN 1. 0041...nothing else happened...

Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by jahummer
Then removing the fuses does the same thing, and that is only a temp fix. The crackling in my case is digital noise, similar to a failed decode on a DAC, and gets increasingly worse until I switch off the car.

Next time this issue arrises, I will try your hard button reboot and see what happens.
well the fuse removal isnt quite the same...when you reboot from the main it initiates the fiber optic beam and also dispalys the dts code which will tell you the code reading the fuse reboot wont do that...but keep me posted

Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member

well the fuse removal isnt quite the same...when you reboot from the main it initiates the fiber optic beam and also dispalys the dts code which will tell you the code reading the fuse reboot wont do that...but keep me posted
See my post above...

Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

hold the AM/FM and EJECT at the same time then EJECT and MIX this will command the main to recycle and reboot the fiber optic line..you will see some numbers appear on the screen may say something like dts 9920 or main 9900 etc..thats fine that means its trying to reestablish connection.

Did not do anything. When I pressed AM/FM & EJECT I was given the RDS ON/OFF option. When I pressed EJECT & MIX I was given a brief message MAIN 1. 0041...nothing else happened...

Old 12-17-2011, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone know the correct procedure for rebooting the chain?

Old 12-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speaker challenge

Hi "Jahummer" and "912Guy"

Thanks for the great updates. I have a 2006 XJ8 VDP with the Premium sound system. I do not have the "Eject" feature.
Could I try the AM/FM and the CD buttons followed by the CD and MIX buttons for the reboot or ???
I have the following buttons....

AM/FM, CD, CDC, A.MEM, TA, and then one step up on each side of the CD slot I have ...MODE on the left and MIX on the right.

Appreciate all the help and input.

Peter.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:35 AM

Make sure you leave the eject button down as you
press the mix button....so eject and am button,take your hand off the am but keep the eject down then press the mix...let me know

Old 12-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Make sure you leave the eject button down as you
press the mix button....so eject and am button,take your hand off the am but keep the eject down then press the mix...let me know
That did nothing either.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi 912guy,

2006 XJ8 VDP has original 12 speaker system and following buttons….

AM/FM, CD, CDC, A.MEM, TA on one level and the following on CD slot level…..
MODE…then CD slot…then a button with an “up arrow” which is the eject feature and then…MIX

Tried your recommendation AM and EJECT and got RDS ON/OFF option. Then while still holding the EJECT in and selecting MIX, got message….MAIN 1.0040. No change. Tried again after selecting RDS to “OFF” but still no change.

Appreciate the help and input.

Peter

Old 01-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member

Dealer says I need a new amp, what do you think?

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 AM

Dealer says I need a new amp, what do you think?
I doubt the amp is bad, did he say their was water damage? check the fiber optic connection leading to the amp,if they are good,check the connections but making sure that they are clean,and also make sure you see no signs of dried water near the amp..It mounts to the sidewall of the inner rear fender...just double check this ,and I would ask the dealership what was the reason for needing a new amp...the amp is about 1200.00 from the dealer...I keep a additional one on standby....but I have never had any issues with mine.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

No water damage. Dealer insists the amp is bad even though on 2 speakers are no working. I am not convinced.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

As I said in your other posts on the same subject. I really doubt it's the amp. You've probably got blown speakers, or a short / dry-joint in the wiring to the speaker.

Quick Reply: Crackling from speakers