XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

D/FW PPI recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default D/FW PPI recommendation?

I've pretty much decided the Super V8 is the machine I want to own the next ten years.

I've never had a PPI done by anyone other than myself in the past, and while this includes an E-class and an S-class Mercedes, the X350 has systems I have almost zero familiarity with.

Therefore, it behooves me to have a potential purchase checked over thoroughly before plunking down money and finding the previous owner moved on at just the right time.

Are there any suggestions for someone in the Dallas/Fort Worth area? The car will be in NW Dallas, LBJ & Stemmons area, but I'll lobby to take it anywhere. Naturally, I live in SW Tarrant county, so it'll be an all-day affair.

Thanks!!!

Old 03-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default JagMac

Take it to JagMac - they are only a couple miles away from Texas Cars Direct, and they will do you right. In fact, I also suggest you consider them for all the Jag mechanical work you might need. Good Luck.

The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (03-19-2011)
Old 03-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

V7Goose, you da man.

Thanks!

My only concern is the potential for places being "in cahootz" with each other, though I know that area pretty well...grew up just east of Marsh and Merrell...and there are a slew of industrial-type places over by Stemmons/LBJ.

If I need mechanical work I can't do, myself, I'm gonna have a helluva time getting it from SW Fort Worth to NW Dallas, though.... ;-)

Edit: Before Googling Jagmac, I didn't know they were actually on Merrell. How's that for coincidence? I used to be a regular at Malibu Grand Prix, when it was that, many moons ago.

I'll ring 'em up next week to ask what a PPI costs and how long it takes. I'll have to take a full day off when I'm serious, so planning is essential. I have the PTO, but don't like to waste it, if I can avoid it.

Last edited by mckellyb; 03-19-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Just editing
Old 03-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up About $56

The checkout will cost you about $56, IIRC. Ian and Russell have been specializing in Jags for about 500 years - I have been using them for the past 10 years, and I am very very impressed.

I am a reasonably competent wrench myself, and I tend to be very concerned when trying to find a new mechanic - lots of good ones out there, of course, but lots of shady ones too. The dealer in Plano is an absolute crook, and the one in FW is OK, but nothing special. Early on with my 2000 XJ8 there were a couple of issues that JagMac's diagnosis and explanation didn't sound quite right to me, but when I took the old parts back and did testing and more research, every time they were absolutely spot on, and always at a fair price.

I used to do a huge amount of traveling for work, and I quickly got to the point with JagMac that I unhesitatingly told my wife that if any issues ever surfaced with the car while I was out of town, that she should just trust them completely. It is very rare that I have ever found a shop about which I feel that comfortable.

Good luck with your new purchase!