XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Engineering Test Mode in a 2006 SV8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Engineering Test Mode in a 2006 SV8?

I found this post in the "what don't you like" thread.

"According to JTB00014 - Additional Diagnostics for Instrument Cluster, the ETM is available for:
XJ Range VIN: G00442-X358 Introduction
2006-2007 X350 vehicles do have a ETM and I even used it while I was working at JLR Russia.

Here's a manual from that JTB (just got it from Topix):

New XJ (up-to X358) Instrument Cluster Self-Diagnostic ETM

To place the cluster in ETM, perform the following:

1. Press and hold the stalk trip cycle button whilst turning the ignition from position 0 to position II, until 'ENGINEERING TEST MODE’ is displayed on the RH Message Centre display. The stalk trip cycle button must be released within three seconds of 'ENGINEERING TEST MODE’ being displayed or the instrument cluster will exit Self-Diagnostic mode.

2. To navigate forward through the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode tests, press the trip computer ‘MLS/KMS’ button.

3. To navigate backward through the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode tests, press the trip computer ‘A/B’ button.

4. To exit Self-Diagnostic Mode, press the stalk trip cycle button for more than three seconds.

5. The Self-Diagnostic Mode is also deactivated when the ignition switch is turned to the 'OFF' position, or low battery voltage is detected.

6. If the Self-Diagnostic Mode cannot be accessed repeat the above paying particular care to the sequence timing. NOTE: ETM is not available on X358. If ETM is not available use IDS/WDS to diagnose the instrument cluster."

I tried it today in my 2006 SV8, but the ETM message never appeared. Even holding the trip button 20 to 30 seconds did not give an Engineering Test Mode message. After about 10 seconds the check engine light goes from solid to flashing, but releasing the trip button then does not put it in ETM (the MLS/KMS and A/B buttons just do their regular function). When I held the trip button longer, the check engine light went from flashing back to solid after about 25 seconds. I also tried starting the engine while holding the trip button down but still no message.

Is the ETM mode a "rest-of-the-world" VS "US federal" thing? Or am I missing something in the proceedure? Last time I checked the battery voltage at the battery it was 12.5V, although my UltraGage was showing 12.1 volts at the gage before starting the engine.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by philwarner
I found this post in the "what don't you like" thread.

"According to JTB00014 - Additional Diagnostics for Instrument Cluster, the ETM is available for:
2006-2007 X350 vehicles do have a ETM and I even used it while I was working at JLR Russia.

Here's a manual from that JTB (just got it from Topix):

New XJ (up-to X358) Instrument Cluster Self-Diagnostic ETM

To place the cluster in ETM, perform the following:

1. Press and hold the stalk trip cycle button whilst turning the ignition from position 0 to position II, until 'ENGINEERING TEST MODE’ is displayed on the RH Message Centre display. The stalk trip cycle button must be released within three seconds of 'ENGINEERING TEST MODE’ being displayed or the instrument cluster will exit Self-Diagnostic mode.

2. To navigate forward through the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode tests, press the trip computer ‘MLS/KMS’ button.

3. To navigate backward through the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Mode tests, press the trip computer ‘A/B’ button.

4. To exit Self-Diagnostic Mode, press the stalk trip cycle button for more than three seconds.

5. The Self-Diagnostic Mode is also deactivated when the ignition switch is turned to the 'OFF' position, or low battery voltage is detected.

6. If the Self-Diagnostic Mode cannot be accessed repeat the above paying particular care to the sequence timing. NOTE: ETM is not available on X358. If ETM is not available use IDS/WDS to diagnose the instrument cluster."

I tried it today in my 2006 SV8, but the ETM message never appeared. Even holding the trip button 20 to 30 seconds did not give an Engineering Test Mode message. After about 10 seconds the check engine light goes from solid to flashing, but releasing the trip button then does not put it in ETM (the MLS/KMS and A/B buttons just do their regular function). When I held the trip button longer, the check engine light went from flashing back to solid after about 25 seconds. I also tried starting the engine while holding the trip button down but still no message.

Is the ETM mode a "rest-of-the-world" VS "US federal" thing? Or am I missing something in the proceedure? Last time I checked the battery voltage at the battery it was 12.5V, although my UltraGage was showing 12.1 volts at the gage before starting the engine.
Phil,

According to my Jaguar service manager, the ETM was not available for 2006 and new XJs. The write up appears to be for an S-Type since they have two message centers. My 2005 S-Type did have the ETM which was a bit of a toy but I used it monitor battery output.

I also tried the above procedure with no success as I have a 2006 XJ8L.

The following users liked this post:
philwarner (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Phil,

According to my Jaguar service manager, the ETM was not available for 2006 and new XJs. The write up appears to be for an S-Type since they have two message centers. My 2005 S-Type did have the ETM which was a bit of a toy but I used it monitor battery output.

I also tried the above procedure with no success as I have a 2006 XJ8L.
Thanks,

The original post said:
"According to JTB00014 - Additional Diagnostics for Instrument Cluster the ETM is available for:
AFFECTED VEHICLE RANGE:
S-TYPE VIN: M45255 Onwards
X-TYPE VIN: C00344 Onwards
X358 was introduced in 2008. 2006-2007 X350 vehicles do have a ETM and i even used it while i was working at JLR Russia."

I had edited it for my own notes leaving just the XJ VINs. Apparently some but not all models listed in this JTB00014 are correct.

I did notice that the check engine light starts flashing after 10 seconds and stops flashing after 25 seconds with the ignition in position II whether or not the trip stalk button is pressed. Not sure what that means, but apparently it is unrelated to ETM unless there is a different proceedure for 2006 models.

Maybe it is like my "check pressure spare tire" message that was a constant when I bought the car (no sensor in the spare) but now comes on only when I start the engine and then goes away. I assume the car decides that you are not going to do anything about it and halfway gives up on reminding you.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

This procedure did work a year ago for my car. Now it does not. The only changes I have made since then are upgrading the NAV DVD, adding a NAVtool device,DVD player,hardwiring radar detector, VACM, and Jaguar bluetooth module. I have also used a Mongoose diagnostics tool.
Is it possible to disable/enable this feature?