XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Finally Happened Front Air Shock

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Finally Happened Front Air Shock

Coming home today in my 2008 VDP with 128K miles, one of the front air shocks blew. We heard a very loud noise (like a huge balloon popping). I knew it was going to happen at some point. I believe it was the driver side.

I am leaning towards switching to coilovers. I have read all the various threads about Arnott and Strutmasters, etc. Does anyone know what shocks they are using in their current assemblies? I have heard that some might have begin including some cheaper shocks in their assemblies.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Remanufactured Air Shocks

I would look online for a remanufactured Air shock as I was able to replace my rear air shock that was defective for $293.00. No Core Charge and at that price it is comparable to one shock out of a conversion kit without the extra labor of changing all 4 corners.

Old 04-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts

Jaguar Air Suspension Conversion Kit

This Also Fits...

(3 reviews)

SKU
ASC.KIT.XJ8

Alternate Pt #
C-2745 LBR.9931
Weight
80.63 lbs

Our price:
Call 800-338-5238 for pricing and current availability!

QuantityPrice*Note:

AIR SUSPENSION CONVERSION KIT XJ8 04-09
Style: Eliminates EAS

The kit features 4 pre-assembled coil spring/shock assemblies with BILSTEIN shocks and all the hardware needed to eliminate any warning light or code issues.

Detailed instructions and trouble shooting guide included.

Features & Benefits Economical and Permanent Solution to Factory EAS System
High Quality Pre-Assembled Coil Spring/Shock Assemblies
Assemblies Use BILSTEIN Shocks
Direct Bolt-on Installation - No Cutting or Welding Required
Detailed, Easy-to-Follow Installation Instructions
12-Month Warranty

Notes: No cutting or welding required, these assemblies bolt directly to existing mounting points.

Jaguar X350 2004-2006 XJ8 Air Suspension Problems

Symptoms of Air Suspension Problems

Message Center: Vehicle too Low
Possible Codes: C2302, C2303, B1671
Inconsistent Suspension Performance and Operation
  • Poor Ride Quality
  • Intermittent and Unexplained Changes in Vehicle Ride Height
Cold and/or Freezing Weather Temperatures

Air Compressor Failure
Low voltages and Other Electrical Issues
Leaks in Air Shocks and Air Delivery Lines
Loose Fittings

The Once and for All Solution to the XJ8 Air Suspension Problem

Blackdog Manufacturing, the exclusive in-house manufacturing division of British Parts International and Motorcars, Ltd. announces availability of the XJ8 Air Suspension Conversion Kit. This coil spring/shock absorber kit is an economical and permanent solution to the troublesome 2004-2006 XJ8 factory air suspension system. The system utilizes the proven and time tested coil spring/shock assembly design and features Bilstein shock absorbers. The suspension kit includes all necessary components to eliminate any warning light or ECM code issues. The spring/shock assemblies use the vehicle's existing suspension mount points, so installation requires no cutting or welding.
Installing the Air Suspension Conversion kit on your vehicle will provide for comfortable, trouble-free driving for years to come! Check out these videos: Jaguar XJ8 Air Suspension Conversion Installation.
If you are considering purchasing a kit from another supplier, please read this important XJ8 Spring Conversion product comparison first!

This is from a company called Motorcars LTD in Houston. It says to call them for pricing, but I do recall is said about 1200 for the kit at one point. Still an option though.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

If you decide to get a re-manufactured air strut, investigate this source:

Jaguar XJ-Series 2004-2010 Air Suspension Parts & Conversion Kits

I put a passenger front air strut from them on my wife's 2004 XJ8 a couple of weeks ago and so far it is performing fine. I's about a 4th the price of the conversion and also takes about a 4th the time to install (maybe less).

You still have the potential worries of an air system, but I suspect it would buy you some time to consider your options and maintain the nice air ride, for a little over $300.

If we have problems again in the future I will decide whether to keep replacing with re-built air struts or convert the car. My wife really likes the air ride, so I will probably try to keep it original. Even if I replace all of them with re-built air struts the cost from RMT is comparable to the conversion.

Just food for thought.