XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Front brake pad installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 03:37 PM
Received 102 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Front brake pad installation

Hey guys, I just picked up a set of pads from Brake Performance and really need to install them.

I called many of my local shops and even a couple 25+ miles away and I was always given the same answer: "We do not install customer parts or liability/insurance reasons"

I now have a set of pads that I need to install myself. I have never done a brake job before and after searching the forums for quite some time, I have only seen threads that make me half-way comfortable. This thread may be the best...but even with the information given, I am still wanting more information:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...e+installation

Could any members or techs give me a step by step guide on how to install brake pads? This thread could potentially become a sticky so other users can use it as a guide!

The car is a 2004 XJR and I would really love to have the job done by the end of the day!

Old 09-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brakes are the easiest thing besides fluids.

Remove the wheel.
Remove the caliper pin
Remove the caliper from the rotor
Remove the old brake pads from the caliper
depress the caliper piston
insert the new brake pads in the caliper the same way the old ones were in there.
Replace the caliper on the rotor.
re-insert + tighten the caliper pin.
Pump your brakes!!!!!

Back on the road.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:27 PM
Thumbs up Installed!

Dullah, the Brembo system is a bit different than what you listed. Here is what I did.

2004 XJR Front Brake Job Steps:

First, located your brake fluid reservoir and open it!

1. Place the car on jackstands and remove the wheels.
2. Locate the two pins on the top of the caliper (right above each piston)
3. Place a towel between the pin and your hammer and hammer until the pin is flush with the face of the caliper.
4. Take a small allen-head screw driver and hammer against the pin until it clears the first hole.
5. Press down on the metal retention piece that is seated between the two pins. (Press down on the side where the pin just cleared.
6. While pressing down on the retention piece, pull the pin out from the rear of the caliper and remove the retention piece.
7. The other pin should come out easily.
8. While the old pads are still seated, pull back on the old pads to re-seat the pistions as much as you can.
9. Remove the old pads and pull back on the pistons with your fingers to clear them completely. DO NOT PULL BACK TOO FAR...or you might blow the seal!
10. The new pads should drop in fairly easily...wiggle them around for clearance.
11. After the top of the pads are in line with each other, insert the first pin until it is inside both holes.
12. Replace the retention piece and you will need to hold it down to insert the other pin.
13. Once both pins are inside the holes (not completely), take a cloth and place it between your hammer and the back of the pin.
14. Hammer the pins home!

Do these steps for both front brakes. After completion, put your wheels back on and tighten those lugs!

With the car off, pump the brake pedal until it is firm as a rock. Then start the car, and depress the brake pedal fully 3 or 4 times. Then replace the cap on the brake fluid reservoir.

Drive around, see how it feels and do one full stop from 60mph. After that, unscrew the cap on the brake reservoir and pump your brakes a few times again. (Can't be too careful!)

I know that this is a fairly quick writeup, and I know it may be simpler if you had real tools, but I made do with what I had!

The pads from Brake Performance feel excellent so far (Semi-Metallic Premium) and I will report back in a few hours of how they perform under stress.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by patrickw813
The pads from Brake Performance feel excellent so far (Semi-Metallic Premium) and I will report back in a few hours of how they perform under stress.
The initial bite of the pads are not as strong as the OE pads. Under full pedal pressure, though, I think the bite is stronger. ABS is definitely kicking back more than with the OE pads, which may mean that the pads are biting the rotors stronger.

Under stress (repeated braking on a mountain road) the pads feel a lot better than the OE pads. Once they heat up, the bite is very strong and I experienced less fade than the OE pads. Best of all, there is significantly less dust.

One run through the canyons on the OE pads would have made my wheels black...on these pads, my wheels were still shiny with only a very very thin coat of dust.

For $54 dollars, it was a bargain for sure.