XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

guages drop all dash warning lights come on, restricted performance...coolant pump..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default guages drop all dash warning lights come on, restricted performance...coolant pump..

I have a 2004 xjr that has given me fits for awhile. The latest are a combo of things. Have been intermittently getting 1474( restricted performance) and finally went to the dealer for a diagnosis, and was told by the dealer mechanic, that someone had installed the wrong auxiliary coolant pump. It was in fact a johnson pump.

The prior owner had plugged it into a connector at the bottom of where this sits to the left of the radiator in an extremely difficult area to get to on the passenger side. I had had intermittent coolant leaks, so I replaced the coolant expansion tank( learned the strange hose connector has to be all the way bottomed out on the tank to seal correctly) and got a used pump from a salvage yard.

Also learned during this time the OEM originals were Hella or Bosch.The Hella has a connector that is about 3/8" x 3/4" and is rounded on one end and and square on the other. Unbeknownst to me I spent quite a bit of time trying to find a pump that would fit into a 1/2" x 1" connector which my old " wrong pump" was plugged into with electrical crimp on connectors.

Once I was told by the dealer and my usual salvage dealer that the smaller connector was the correct one( and I had driven with the wrong pump and wrong connector probably 5k without issue), explored in the dark small area where the pump fit and found another, the smaller "correct" connector. The factory pump has a pig tail with the smaller connector on it. I found a new Bosch auxiliary pump from Partsgeek new for about $105 that actually received on the body( no pig tail), the large connector, that my pump had been plugged into, and I am sure would have worked.

So with the new hose, "correct pump," and expansion tank all firmly connected( unfortunately the pump was not mounted, but floating-another issue) drove for about 70 miles. Car drove fine, didn't leak, but all of the idiot lights came on. Gauges ( temp and tach, but not gas) all went dead and all the lights on left in the tach section all went on. I"d pull over, turn the car off for a few minutes and then restart and all gauges and the temperate gauge went back to normal.The engine symbol remained on, but all the other idiot lights went off. See if any codes showed up, none.

My car has about 78k miles on it. Every now and then on the way back the car would go into restricted performance along with all these christmas tree lights being on. I drove home, and the car by and large performed normally. I think the steering felt a bit heavy. Message in the communication LED display was transmission fault, abs fault,brake fluid low and maybe one or two others... When I arrived at my destination checked for leaks or signs of overheating and found none.

I had a code reader plugged in this whole time and read it a few times and no codes ever were logged. Every now and again I get a communication error that shows up on the Navigation/display panel as "communication error."

I had replace the battery 6 months ago,drive the car daily, cleaned all the grounds that I can find on the front of the car and in the trunk have been taken off, brushed, anti oxidant applied. All this was before being taken to the dealer for 3 hours of diagnosis.

Any suggestion of people who have solved this ? My salvage guy had the same problems on a 2005 xjr and never was able to solve the problem. He reported as I did, car ran fine by and ( he didn't have intermittent RP) motor was fine. He never solved the problem, but it seemed to me might be common.

This was the connector dealer parts guy didn't know existed that plugged into a Bosch auxiliary pump.

Correct pump and connector sitting atop the radiator prior to installation.This was a Hella

Old 04-18-2016, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

There is a service bulletin on this

The issue is with a pin on ABS. It disrupts the bus and sends the IC crazy. When the IC cant read from the bus it shows all faults, gearbox, abs ect. This normally includes the speedo showing 0 and often mas temp.

No the issue can arise at the IC pin as well but 9 out of 10 it will the abs pin. As you have a new battery and you would have disturbed the ABS wiring installing the pump I think the ABS pin will be your answer

BTW it can also be an early symptom of the TP sensor going but that is less likely

So in order
1. Battery
2. ABS harness
3. TP sensor intermittent fault

See these links
http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...%20Cluster.pdf

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/...%20Cluster.pdf

Cheers
34by151

The following 2 users liked this post by 34by151:
Don B (04-18-2016), Grio (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default multiple warnings on instrument cluster, gauges drop

I think this bulletin nails the symptoms exactly. Thanks. I"ll dig in to this. Seems like they are suggesting surgery when maybe a wire brush and anti oxidant might be more in line. At least it gives me some ideas on where and what to do and that the car wasn't going to blow up.....

Old 04-19-2016, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 465 Posts

Id just replace the pins at the ABS and IC which are the 2 main causes

Otherwise you have to wait for an intermittant fault to occur and test while it happening
If you just replace the pins it should go away unless it in the harness or the TP sensor

Cheers
34by151