XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Headrest tv screen question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 04:29 PM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Headrest tv screen question

I hope I am posting in the right area of the Forum? I fitted a double din system to my X308, works great except my grandchildren (sat in the back obviously) couldn't see the videos playing from my iPOD, so I decided to look at headrest screens. Those that know me from the X308 forum will know I am lucky to live within 5 miles or so of a Jaguar only breaker's yard, and I came across two headrests from an X358 for £20, a 2008 model I believe, I couldn't refuse when I measured the 'legs' and they were the same width as the X308 ones.

On closer inspection, these screens have 17 pin connections.., I have the wiring diagram but there's no data describing what each cable is for. I imagined 1 cable for power plus an earth, then a signal and maybe a ground for video output which, are the 4 or 5 cables that come from the system for the rear screen(s)... but 17?

I've tried going through the wiring diagram, and maybe at this stage I should point out that I am totally bereft of knowledge when it comes to electronics and wiring anything... other than a positive plus a negative, or anything that simply says "connect this to that"! There's mention of a Telematics Harness, there's mention of Optical cables, TL87-1, TL87-2 etc. and wire color codes, after that it's all .

I would like to know which color wires are for power and ground, and which are for the video signal, I assume the audio is via the sound system in the doors, as with the main screen of the unit, as there doesn't appear to be any speakers in the headrest? Just so there's no confusion I've pictured the headrest and connection block...

Is it possible that some of the wires are for controlling the volume in the relevant door via the + and - buttons on the screen, maybe some are for back-lighting, I have no idea? I already have power, ground, and a video cable, from the system, ready to trace up the back of each seat. Hope this all makes sense?

If anyone can help with a simple "forget all cables except this, that, and the other" that would be great, and I would really appreciate it.
Paul

Old 04-30-2023, 01:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by euphonium01
I hope I am posting in the right area of the Forum? I fitted a double din system to my X308, works great except my grandchildren (sat in the back obviously) couldn't see the videos playing from my iPOD, so I decided to look at headrest screens. Those that know me from the X308 forum will know I am lucky to live within 5 miles or so of a Jaguar only breaker's yard, and I came across two headrests from an X358 for £20, a 2008 model I believe, I couldn't refuse when I measured the 'legs' and they were the same width as the X308 ones.

On closer inspection, these screens have 17 pin connections.., I have the wiring diagram but there's no data describing what each cable is for. I imagined 1 cable for power plus an earth, then a signal and maybe a ground for video output which, are the 4 or 5 cables that come from the system for the rear screen(s)... but 17?

I've tried going through the wiring diagram, and maybe at this stage I should point out that I am totally bereft of knowledge when it comes to electronics and wiring anything... other than a positive plus a negative, or anything that simply says "connect this to that"! There's mention of a Telematics Harness, there's mention of Optical cables, TL87-1, TL87-2 etc. and wire color codes, after that it's all .

I would like to know which color wires are for power and ground, and which are for the video signal, I assume the audio is via the sound system in the doors, as with the main screen of the unit, as there doesn't appear to be any speakers in the headrest? Just so there's no confusion I've pictured the headrest and connection block...

Is it possible that some of the wires are for controlling the volume in the relevant door via the + and - buttons on the screen, maybe some are for back-lighting, I have no idea? I already have power, ground, and a video cable, from the system, ready to trace up the back of each seat. Hope this all makes sense?

If anyone can help with a simple "forget all cables except this, that, and the other" that would be great, and I would really appreciate it.
Paul
did u figure it the power wire

Old 04-30-2023, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Edsaxon
did u figure it the power wire
INterested in this as well

Old 05-01-2023, 08:29 AM
Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

I seriously doubt you are going to get those connected to an aftermarket system, at least not through factory wring. Maybe post in the X308 forum to get better guidance, this is the X350 forum, then next generation.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:58 PM

I have the x356 currently (2006 xj8) and want to connect an android box to the rear headrest displays instead of the dvd. I was hoping for a diagram of the pin settings so that I can somehow connect the RCA to the pins. I have a feeling some of the pins are for 'play/stop/etc' buttons, which can be abandoned.

Alternatively, would someone know how to 'splice' the RCA connectsions at the aux connections? the goal is to hide the android box and allow is to play on the rear headsets.

Thank you,

Old 05-01-2023, 11:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,787 Likes on 719 Posts

Looking a the schematic from the A/V selector to the two headrest screens, I would guess that they are not driven by a composite signals. My Xj8 does not have rear headrest screens, so I am just reviewing schematics for you.
It is more likely an RGB or component input on pins 11, 12 and 13 with their common ground on 14.

There are several standards when it comes to RGB signals, "sync on green" where the display's required horizontal and vertical sync are superimposed in the green channel and the display extracts those required timing signals from within the green signal.
Alternatively there is separate sync where the V & H syncs are sent either together down one shielded cable, or separately down two screened cables to the display (like a typical VGA signal to a computer monitor).
Display resolution is the next issue, 640x480, 800x600 or less likely 1024x768 for these older smaller screens.
With component video it is different again....there is a blue and red signal channel and a Y (luminance) channel that is used for brightness and to subtractively extract the green signal as well as sync.

That begs the question of pins 5 and 15 also being screened wires to the displays, as to whether they might be sync related, or just screened for serial data comms as the headrests does not appear to have any audio output available to the viewer.

Here is a Wiki page on the subject.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video_sync

Either way, it doesn't appear possible to inject composite directly into the headrest monitors, but if you have your heart set on delving into this further then you may need to experiment by scoping the signals going to these pins from the A/V selector to try to determine if RGB (SOG), RGB separate sync (like a computer VGA monitor), or Component (YCbCr).
The good news is there are pretty cheap converters to get from composite to RGB or Component....the issue will be which you need for signal type and resolution and then how to safely inject it without causing disturbance to existing multimedia systems.

Technically anything is possible, but it will take some good technical detective work to establish the correct signals to apply to the relevant inputs of the monitors.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by h2o2steam
Looking a the schematic from the A/V selector to the two headrest screens, I would guess that they are not driven by a composite signals. My Xj8 does not have rear headrest screens, so I am just reviewing schematics for you.
It is more likely an RGB or component input on pins 11, 12 and 13 with their common ground on 14.

There are several standards when it comes to RGB signals, "sync on green" where the display's required horizontal and vertical sync are superimposed in the green channel and the display extracts those required timing signals from within the green signal.
Alternatively there is separate sync where the V & H syncs are sent either together down one shielded cable, or separately down two screened cables to the display (like a typical VGA signal to a computer monitor).
Display resolution is the next issue, 640x480, 800x600 or less likely 1024x768 for these older smaller screens.
With component video it is different again....there is a blue and red signal channel and a Y (luminance) channel that is used for brightness and to subtractively extract the green signal as well as sync.

That begs the question of pins 5 and 15 also being screened wires to the displays, as to whether they might be sync related, or just screened for serial data comms as the headrests does not appear to have any audio output available to the viewer.

Here is a Wiki page on the subject.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video_sync

Either way, it doesn't appear possible to inject composite directly into the headrest monitors, but if you have your heart set on delving into this further then you may need to experiment by scoping the signals going to these pins from the A/V selector to try to determine if RGB (SOG), RGB separate sync (like a computer VGA monitor), or Component (YCbCr).
The good news is there are pretty cheap converters to get from composite to RGB or Component....the issue will be which you need for signal type and resolution and then how to safely inject it without causing disturbance to existing multimedia systems.

Technically anything is possible, but it will take some good technical detective work to establish the correct signals to apply to the relevant inputs of the monitors.
Thank you for that.

Would you be able to share the schematic by chance?
RGB could work as well, since the android tv box has a HDMI connection, it could possibly connect to a HDMI to RGB connector and then mcguiver leads to connect to the pins.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

I was just referencing the 2006 XJ8 general electrical schematic which you can download from JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
Figure 15.3 is the rear car entertainment schematic.
It doesn't go into any explanation of the the wire functional assignments from the AV selector outputs nor monitor inputs, but looking at what is indicated as shielded versus non-shielded wiring.....you can start to draw some initial conclusions.

Suggestion:- Would it not be easier to buy some small LCD AV displays (7" or similar) that take composite or HDMI input and either surface mount, or integrate if you are just trying to accommodate that feature.
Perhaps a suitable sleeve that fits over your headrest that incorporates the third party monitor and then some tidy cable dress to get signal and power up to them.
That way you are not disturbing original monitors and wiring and can easily add or remove your mod if you change cars or don't want that feature physically present on a particular trip.

Old 05-02-2023, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member

Just spent a bit if time trying to find the particular 20 pin connector used......looks like a proprietary orphan similar to a Hirose or mini Din but with different interlocks.
Can't find a trace of that plug style anywhere.

Old 05-05-2023, 12:12 PM

Thank you for looking into that.
Unfortunate to hear that it is not a common connector. Was hoping for a way to keep the rear seat controls to work as it is but with some updated software/hardware while keeping it stock looking.
Currently I use this HDMI to RCA converter
Amazon Amazon
to connect to my android media box at the rear handrest control AV connectors, but would be nice if I can hide all the wires and android box and convertor (was hoping to connect it through the DVD)

With the screens on the headrest, have you seen a replacement for it so that the screen is higher resolution (HDMI)?

I like your idea of the tablet and considered it. I like it on a technology standpoint and it's use, I'm just needing to find a way to make it look like it was a stock option.

Thank you for all the help and info