XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear Entertainment - Can anyone solve this?

Old 01-31-2019, 02:03 PM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Rear Entertainment - Can anyone solve this?

I recently got hold of a pair of headrests with TV screens for rear entertainment, and as my double din system has the output, I thought they would be useful on long trips to keep the grandchildren quiet. The headrests came out of an X358.

The Alpine system I fitted has the following rear entertainment outputs:
Right Audio (Red Phono)
Left Audio (White Phono)
Video (Yellow Phono)
I only want to use the Video connection and keep the existing speaker setup. Unless I'm missing something, I only need to power the screens and supply a video signal, maybe 4 connections? The problem is what do I connect to, each headrest has 20 + connections? I don't know if a permanent power supply is also required?

I've checked the X350 wiring diagram and data sheet (Fig. 15.3), and although there's a color for each wire, there's no indication on any pages describing what each pin or colored cable is for. I posted on the X350/X358 forum, and got a big fat zero replies, so I'm hoping the X308 experts have more knowledge?

This is the screen type

and the external connector inside the seat back.

If I supply power & earth to the correct pins I'm assuming I could turn off the screen with the on/off button, not sure with the setup I want if I will need the other buttons?

It's pretty easy to open the screen up for a look inside, but with my very limited knowledge of PCB's and electronics I'm struggling.
Here's the PCB connector

and the pin ID's on the opposite side

The only other piece of info I have is the actual screen back

I'm also unsure if these screens might have been used in an X308 model, if so, I cannot find any wiring for them?

Any ideas would be gratefully received... a wiring diagram with pin/cable ID would be amazing!
Thanks in advance.
Paul

Old 01-31-2019, 02:42 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

To my knowledge there was never a headrest or rear entertainment option for the x308 models. Those pins look like proprietary plugs, or at least very specialized ones. Might almost be better off just going with aftermarket headrests with screens that would come with standard RCA plugs for video, and normal power. You might try checking with the x358 forums if you haven't yet, to see if they might have more insight into the wiring on these

Old 01-31-2019, 06:10 PM

Hi, and thanks for coming back so quickly. I did post the question on the X350 forum, but had no replies at all, however, that never happens on our forum, someone always replies :-)

I did try the after market route, but as my car isn't a long wheel base, the screen felt a 'bit in your face' so to speak, and a tad dangerous for youngsters in the event of an accident, hence the headrest option. The other reasons are the headrests seem much neater, and less prone to someone smashing the rear door glass to rip them out, sad, but I do live in the UK!

Apart from that, it would be a shame not to use these, they are very neat and match the color of my interior. As to the plugs, the one on the PCB is marked MITSUMI, and the actual screen is SHARP. I can trace the screen using the model on the label, but the PCB has no references that seem to match anything found on the net, I'm currently searching for the PCB connector on the MITSUMI site?

Thanks so much for an answer, hope someone chips in with the answers I need...
Paul

Old 01-31-2019, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,766 Likes on 1,300 Posts

Page 157, section 15.3, Rear In-car Entertainment...http://jagrepair.com/images/Electric...al%20Guide.pdf

Old 01-31-2019, 07:16 PM

Hi Highhorse, yeah, I already got that, but on page 156 (the data page for Fig. 15.3) there's no description of the pins, or what color each wire is for, like Video In, or Earth, there's nothing. With all the other diagrams, the data page has all you need on the left side with a list of the wire colors and what each wire does, Power, which is Earth etc. I can't find anything that tells me what each of the 20 or so wires are for? It's driving me mad lol, talk about Surely all I need is the Power wires and Video Signal wires, cannot see why there's 20+?

Eric suggested I open the screen up and see if the PCB shows me anything, but again, there's nothing that tells me what each connection does, so I can't work out which wires I need to connect to. The plug on the PCB is marked with MITSUMI, the screen with SHARP.

I can find the screen itself online using the model numbers on a sticker on the back of the screen, but there's no such ID marks for the PCB itself, so another dead end. I'm currently going through the MITSUMI website to see if I can find anything. Last option is to try Jaguar Heritage here in the UK, see if they have anything.

Thanks for your reply though, point me in the right direction if you think of anything else ... I plod on.
Paul

Old 01-31-2019, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Paul, if the headrest side research does not bring anything, maybe you can extend your research to the supply side, the entertainment module in the rear armrest.
I guess it has the same kind of board and cryptical markings, but maybe you are able to rule out certain wire functions.

Old 01-31-2019, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

And you being in the UK, there are several threads on the local forum there with people modifying their x350/x358 entertainment systems.
Seems there are guys preparing wire looms for them to do so, maybe, just maybe someone over there might be able to help you out.
Here is a link to just one of the treads: https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=64019

Old 01-31-2019, 08:29 PM

Ok, I've managed to send a PM as it wouldn't let me post on the threads, hope they come back with some useful info.. thanks for the tip Eric
Paul

Old 01-31-2019, 08:30 PM

Wonder why the guys on our X350 forum couldn't reply?

Old 01-31-2019, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 841 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by euphonium01
there's no description of the pins, or what color each wire is for, like Video In, or Earth, there's nothing. With all the other diagrams, the data page has all you need on the left side with a list of the wire colors and what each wire does, Power, which is Earth etc.
According to the wiring diagram, the screens are not complete stand alone video receivers so you cannot just bring the coaxial video signal in (and power) and see the picture. The screens appear to be just displays, driven by the "Audio/Video Selector" which receives video signal from the "DVD Player". So, as a minimum, you also have to get the Audio/Video Selector and probably the DVD Player as well from an X350, unles your DVD player is also original Jaguar and has a multi pin plug that matches the input socket on the Audio/Video Selector.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,766 Likes on 1,300 Posts

After some more thought on this, I think CharlzO may have the right idea. With premium sound systems, Jaguar runs them through the amp and head unit for overrides like the backup sensor/camera and multi-function controls. The DVD, Radio, CD, Backup monitor and GPS will all be put through the amp and dispersed from there...thus the 20 wire setup. Each new model is different and each system functions differently. You can still use the headrest and just replace the screens with a similar size aftermarket one that will, as Charlz said, have direct power and can be used with RCA connectors.
I'm definitely not trying to rain on the parade, I just see possible hours of rewiring only to hook it up and pffft. Whereas a direct setup should go much easier.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,333 Likes on 1,053 Posts

The S type system would fit with a little modification as the cabin wiring looms are similar. I almost bought a new old stock kit but preferred the XJ's head rests and didn't want to change all 5, did some measurements and it wouldn't fit and look OE.
I had a conversation with a JLR engineer some time later about rear passenger screens and he suggested tablets, the point being you can take them from vehicle to vehicle, headphone ports wifi and independent of the car's ICE. Rear lighter socket to charge. The screen size and functionality put the inbuilt idea to bed for me.

You can get 10" Android tablets cheaply, and the bungee adaptor for the headrests. Just slip them in the magazine pocket when away from the car ;-)

Old 02-01-2019, 06:11 PM

Hi All. I talked today to a Jaguar colleague who advised that I am opening a can of worms here, and very likely a deep wallet. Everyone that has chipped in has been right really, but as M Stojanovic and Ericjansen pointed out, the signals via the Multimedia Control in the rear armrest, and that involves fibre optics... I don't wonna go there!

I have followed what most suggested and have seen a set of after markets, with individual DVD player included in case each rear passenger wishes to view something different, now both grand-kids can be happy.

Thanks to everyone. The information was helpful even though it didn't give the result I first hoped for, but it seems it's saved me buckets of £s. And at least on the X308 part of the forum I got some replies :-)
Thanks.. Paul