XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Hi again

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi again

Hi All

I am now the very proud owner of a very well cared for 2004 XJR which I collected saturday, but being a realist I am totally aware that owning a 19 year old perfomance car doen't come with out its issues.
Currently as known when I picked it up were the central door locking spordaic operation, reversing sensors on as soon as its in reverse, powerfolds and the drivers window doesn't do anything all the others ok. None of these worry me to much I will be taking out the DDM and cleaning all the contacts and checking it out in general. I'm an electrical engineer and being of a certain age of having to do your own spannering I'd like to think I'm fairly adept at taking it apart and putting it back together with no spare washers or bolts 😜.
However there is one thing I wan't expecting, that being the weird steering when its cold, it feels like theres a fully flat tyre and its very snatchy. I never noticed it when I test drove it and it was fine by the time I drove the 60 miles home from picking it up. After doing a search here its brought up everything from battery voltage, slipping belts and bad fluid.
None of which will be a problem as I will be planning a full refurb of the car including full fluids change all fiters as this will be my daily driver for the foreseeable future.
But If any of you have any other ideas I would greatly appreciate the info

Cheers

Tubs

Old 02-13-2023, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,812 Likes on 728 Posts

I am supposing the XJR uses the same rack as x350/x358, so you might want to check the steering assist transducer which alters the amount of power steering fluid flow to the rack depending on vehicle speed etc.
Located in the steering rack and has a two wire plug going to it. PWM controlled.

Old 02-13-2023, 02:44 AM

Cheers Mark

Old 02-14-2023, 01:16 AM

A quick update so having read and re read a lot of the posts, I have just checked the battery voltage and while the interior lights were on the standing voltage was only 12v. With the engine running it's 14v so it's likely that the current battery is on its way out and being that the current temperatures are what is politley known as "kin freezing" when I leave for work so I think the first port of call will be a new battery, I have found this one and whilst it is a bit pricey it has a lifetime guarantee,

019 XD Car Battery | Car Batteries | 12 volt Heavy Duty | ABS Batteries

Powerplus Lifetime Guarantee The Powerplus Lifetime guarantee battery refers to the lifetime of the vehicle its being purchased for. You are required to provide the registration number of the vehicle when ordering the battery for us to honour the warranty and also for us to confirm fitment. How...
advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk
I'm sure the small print would always fall in favour of the manufacturers but it seems like a sensible choice seeing as the cars a keeper.
I shall keep you all updated as things progress

Old 02-14-2023, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,812 Likes on 728 Posts

Just a thought......Does that battery support the exterior venting tube feature that your X350 has?

Old 02-15-2023, 12:46 AM

Hi Mark

I don't know is the honest answer, but on further consideration and advice from the other forum I'll probably go for a "normal" 019 battery with a 5 year warranty.
Coincidentally I charged the battery on the car overnight and there was a slight improvement so hopefully the new battery may well sort the issue out. I will of course be changing the power steering fluid as well shortly as it looks way past its best