XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

How can I tell if I have HID lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can I tell if I have HID lights?

My 2004 XJ8 right low beam headlight just failed. I bought replacement halogen bulbs and then checked this forum for instructions on replacement.

Once I read of the danger and challenges in the HID version I went to check my vehicle and I can't find anything that is specific about it in writing or from a visual inspection. I would appreciate assistance so I can proceed with either replacing them or taking it to a pro.

My VIN is SAJWA71CX4SG34164. I have not found anything that provides a breakdown of what the VIN means either.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,180 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by FL04XJ8
My 2004 XJ8 right low beam headlight just failed. I bought replacement halogen bulbs and then checked this forum for instructions on replacement.

Once I read of the danger and challenges in the HID version I went to check my vehicle and I can't find anything that is specific about it in writing or from a visual inspection. I would appreciate assistance so I can proceed with either replacing them or taking it to a pro.

My VIN is SAJWA71CX4SG34164. I have not found anything that provides a breakdown of what the VIN means either.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Hi. If the headlights are HID, you will see the following on the outer headlight lens cover - D1R, D1S, D2R, D2S look at the outer lens, at the bottom.
Or
-if you remove the cover off of the back of the headlight assembly (outer portion), if you look at the back of the bulb, if you can see 2 small posts with wires attached to them, you have halogen bulbs, if you see a big black box in the way, then you have HIDs.
Or
-take it to your local auto parts store. They can tell you at a glance and usually will change them out for you without a labor charge.

The following users liked this post:
FL04XJ8 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 05:44 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default One additional method

I am no so sure that an auto parts store will change out an HID bulb, especially when Jaguar dealers charge about $200 labor. Scratch that, bad example but it is not an easy replacement primarily because the darn cover is in the way, and removing it is a pain, replacing the cover ever worse, but it is manageable. There are a few thread here that cover it, if your use search, you will find one.

Another way to tell if you have HID is look for a projector lens in the lower half of the outer lights. Looks just like a domed slightly cloudy projector lens. If you have that you have HID, if you see the bulb itself, you have halogen. Try to avoid the dealer they get big bucks for the bulb as well, as in $150 when it is possible to get an OEM quality bulb for a lot less, just do the research and get the right bulb.

The following users liked this post:
FL04XJ8 (11-21-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

Here is a post with pictures from when I replaced mine. Several people in the thread also have good advice about changing the capsule with the lap assembly in the car.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-70056/

The following 2 users liked this post by gmcgann:
Don B (11-25-2014), FL04XJ8 (11-21-2014)
Old 11-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Done, but not without issues

Thank you all for your assistance. I checked and the number on the lens cover is H7 so I was able to use the standard halogen bulbs. I went with Sylvania ZXE replacements and they are definitely much brighter.

During the install I ran into a few problems. The clip over the bulb assembly was a PITA. I finally got it done on the driver side, but the one on the passenger side ended up popping out and I was unable to locate it. I had to use electrical tape to secure it. The square connector had actually cracked slightly so I had to use electrical tape to keep it intact as well. I'm going to need to replace it since I doubt it will last too long as it is presently setup.

I also noticed this morning the likely cause of the bulb failing. I have moisture inside the headlight lens cover on both lights on the passenger side. Any ideas on possible causes and solutions?

The top cover with the plastic fasteners is also an issue. While difficult to get started to remove, now they are so loose that they don't really secure it in place. I will need replacements - any suggestions on where I can obtain them?

Thanks again for your help.

Originally Posted by Sean Wagstaff
Hi. If the headlights are HID, you will see the following on the outer headlight lens cover - D1R, D1S, D2R, D2S look at the outer lens, at the bottom.
Or
-if you remove the cover off of the back of the headlight assembly (outer portion), if you look at the back of the bulb, if you can see 2 small posts with wires attached to them, you have halogen bulbs, if you see a big black box in the way, then you have HIDs.
Or
-take it to your local auto parts store. They can tell you at a glance and usually will change them out for you without a labor charge.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I have them, and I would say, if you don't know, you haven't got them.

They are startlingly white, and make ordinary lamps look yellow.