XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Humming noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 06:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Humming noise

Hey all, I got some sort of mystery noise going on with my 07. It occurs when in overdrive and applying throttle. It値l make a humming noise that oscillates every couple seconds. It sounds like my subwoofer is playing sounds but the radio is off. Seems more like a passenger side noise (US car) and it can vibrate the car a little but not much. It immediately stops when I release the throttle and coast or if I move the shifter to 5th it stops also.

I think this only started a couple weeks ago. I tried checking my tire pressures and adding a little air in case it was tires but since it stops when I release the throttle it probably wasn稚 them anyways. Also tried getting some fresh fuel. No change there either. I知 wondering if my exhaust pipe(s) are vibrating but I have my doubts. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Old 05-01-2024, 05:21 AM
Received 162 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by OutpostJaguar
Hey all, I got some sort of mystery noise going on with my 07. It occurs when in overdrive and applying throttle. It値l make a humming noise that oscillates every couple seconds. It sounds like my subwoofer is playing sounds but the radio is off. Seems more like a passenger side noise (US car) and it can vibrate the car a little but not much. It immediately stops when I release the throttle and coast or if I move the shifter to 5th it stops also.

I think this only started a couple weeks ago. I tried checking my tire pressures and adding a little air in case it was tires but since it stops when I release the throttle it probably wasn稚 them anyways. Also tried getting some fresh fuel. No change there either. I知 wondering if my exhaust pipe(s) are vibrating but I have my doubts. Anyone have any ideas what this could be?
Only thing I've had that vibrated the vehicle itself was failing wheel bearings. Easy to change front "cartridge" hubs in my case. Speed related, but not which gear.

The rears can go as well, universal joints, too - and either/both of those - and transmission output - is where I'd look first with the symptoms you describe.

Heat shields where the plated steel fastener eats the last of the plating, then erodes away the adjacent aluminium 'happened' on the Rover, but those only "flutter", cannot vibrate the chassis.

Another member just recently posted as to doing motor mounts and transmission mount to resolve a vibration issue.

Worth checking, but your symptoms seem to point to the active parts at the drivetrain "output" end rather than "input" end.

Last edited by Thermite; 05-01-2024 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:30 AM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Might be something really simple... I would check to see if the padding behind the inner fender liner is still in place. The aluminium construction required large box sections that created these noise problems so Jaguar stuffed padding around different points of the car, in particular where I mention. I need to check mine on the right side as I noticed this noise when going over 100mph and more recently on an extremely windy day at cruising speed, strong gusts would cause the same humming noise on the right but even louder so I'm guessing it might be this. Have yet to check mine out so it's only a guess...

The following users liked this post:
Thermite (05-01-2024)