XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Import numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Import numbers?

I’m curious to know how many 2007 XJR Portfolio Edition cars were imported into the US. I believe only 100 were produced in all. Anyone have some info?

Old 06-23-2019, 11:54 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Its difficult to find production and import numbers based on individual models within the x350 line.

There are some postings of numbers but I suspect when you quote 100, you may be thinking of the 2006 Portfolio which was a Special Edition Super V8 that had everything but the kitchen sink including an Alcantara headliner special console in the rear seat and unique wood. There were only 145 of those brought to the states and they only came in two colors; Black Cherry and Winter Gold of which people are quite polarized in camps of which was the best color. As to an XJR Portfolio I don't know where you would be able to find specific numbers.

The listings I have seen are generally by engine size so you may be able to break it down by supercharged and naturally aspirated but I'm not sure you would be able to get into trim levels.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. The X350 never met sales expectations, but then, neither has its replacement; the X351.

I am not in love with the Facelifted X358, which seemed at odds with itself, trying to "modernize" a continuance styled car that's cues date to 1968. The lower grill treatment is the best of it, the blocky bumpers, huge chrome plinth and blades being the worst, in my humble, but deeply felt opinion. Thus I have an 07 VDP, since I like the looks of the LWB, and couldn't find a good buy on a Super V8 when I was in the market.

Question: When you say an "XJR PORTFOLIO", I am confused since I havent seen that designation. Does it have a Portfolio Badge on the rear or XJR badging? Very curious about what you have there. After the 06 Portfolio's (of which a few are showing up at amazing prices the last year or so - as in $22-30k with mostly sub 50k odometer miles) the "Portfolio" nomenclature became more of a trim package than a unique model (based on a trim package, lol) I suspect those 06 ones will always be desirable, but perhaps only considered "collectable" but true Jag devotees. That's a shame for the brand and owners who expected to reap fortunes on resale, but as usual a bounty for smart luxury car buyers who know that depreciation is their best friend.

I think all used Jaguar buyers are gifted by the unearned, easily debunked myth that Jaguars are unreliable. Bottom line: all the people afraid to buy a Jaguar, or feel that it is impractical for some bizarre reason has benefited me personally 6 times over the last 34 years. I would want to change a thing!

Wishing you heaps of motoring pleasure with yours.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your thoughtful reply!
To answer your question, there is no Portfolio badging. I obtained the 100 production number from another source on the ‘net when I was researching information. It could well be erroneous. My particular car came out of Canada from a relative’s estate. He was the original owner and my information said that only 5 were imported into Canada.
I’m pleased with your pricing info! I was lucky to pay considerably less, and for a car with only 15k miles!
And happy motoring to you!

Old 06-24-2019, 10:16 AM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

You have a very rare unicorn!
See this thread about it: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...2005-a-139921/

Old 06-25-2019, 09:18 AM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Not that it matters from an ownership enjoyment experience, but the 06 only Portfolio is not likely what you now possess. They are all Long Wheelbase, with, as I mentioned some unique items.

Easiest external giveaway is the Unique, one year only WORKING blade/heat extraction vent that goes all the way to the fender seam.

Interiors are even more unique. Alcantara Headliner, Brush Aluminum Shift Surround, and Satin Finish, open pore wood, that I am not crazy about personally, but if I had it, I wouldn't dream of changing a thing. I have seen them with Full Wood steering wheels, and with Full Leather, but never wood+leather as in the "ordinary, plain Jane cars the rest of us mortal own.

I believe they started shipping September 2005, and sold reasonably fast, considering they were $115k at the time... a forum member had a major fight with his insurance company when he got front and rear damage that totalled his car. They wanted to give him about half what he needed to replace it.

When I got my 06 XJ8L, I was whining about wanting a Vanden Plas, till my brother reminded me: All X350s are beautiful, well equipped cars, and no one who has one should complain. That was good advice, and I took it. But I still bought a VDP the next go around, because I could. Lol

Old 06-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

The XJR portfolio is a short wheel base version of the Super V8 Portfolio with Sport Suspension. Rarer than the Super V8 portfolio itself.