XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Interior trim, XJ8 vs. VDP: Any difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Interior trim, XJ8 vs. VDP: Any difference?

Everywhere I read that the Van de Plas has better interior trim than the XJ8. But I've been looking at photos of the interiors of 2004-2006 XJs for weeks now, and I can't see a single difference in trim, except that some VDPs have seat trays in the backseat. The front seats appear identical. The navigation unit may differ, but navigation console was an option available for both XJ8 and VDP.

If you disagree, can you tell which of these pictures are of an XJ8 and which are of a VDP?

Attached Thumbnails Interior trim, XJ8 vs. VDP: Any difference?-05.jpg   Interior trim, XJ8 vs. VDP: Any difference?-15.jpg   Interior trim, XJ8 vs. VDP: Any difference?-29708981281.338980241.im1.12.565x421_a.562x421.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 04:33 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

From what I have read and during my own search, the VDP has lambswhool floor mats. Also, the overhead console where the sunroof buttons and sunglasses holder is also wood trim. You already mentioned the tray tables and I think that is it. In later models, I think the VDP also came with a different contrasting color piping on the seats.

The following users liked this post:
Xeno (03-22-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 AM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Xeno
Everywhere I read that the Van de Plas has better interior trim than the XJ8. But I've been looking at photos of the interiors of 2004-2006 XJs for weeks now, and I can't see a single difference in trim, except that some VDPs have seat trays in the backseat. The front seats appear identical. The navigation unit may differ, but navigation console was an option available for both XJ8 and VDP.

If you disagree, can you tell which of these pictures are of an XJ8 and which are of a VDP?

Vdp seats have the accent color piping and the leather is "gathered" at the horizontal sew lines. The wood accents on the door have an accent inlay 'stripe'. As mentioned, wood on the overhead console and tray tables in rear.

Somewhere here there was a discussion of a difference in the grade of leather, but I have been happily satisfied with both interiors. VDP updates are subtle nicities.

Thanks-
Mag

Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

In addition to the above mentioned piped leather // wood trim with inlays // lambswool floor mats // and picnic tables, I believe the VDP's also had different style alloy wheels, more chrome on the outside (like on the side mirror caps), chrome side power vents for the newly styled 2008 models, and were only available in the long wheelbase configuration.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

The VDP's have nicer interior trim, they are a richer wood, more knots, more design in the wood. Supposed to be a higher quality wood, and everything else stated above. The 04 VDP did not have tray tables since it was not a Long Wheel Base. Only long wheelbase VDP's had tray tables for the X350's.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VDP or XJ8?

I put my answers below the pictures

can you tell which of these pictures are of an XJ8 and which are of a VDP?

This is the VJ8 because there is gold stripe on the wood in the door and dash (air bag cover).

Nothing here to distinguish...

Looks like a VDP due to the piping in the seat.

Xeno (01-18-2024)
Old 06-23-2013, 06:58 PM

No way to edit to correct my bad typing??

Old 06-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

In 2007 model year Jaguar threw in some features previously sold as VDP upgrades standard across the line. This included seats with contrast piping and pleats, as well as chrome mirrors. So in the 2007-2009 MYs the extra $ spent on VDP bought lambswool mats, Peruvian boxwood inlay (a gold stripe in the wood on all four doors and dash on passenger side), as well as business trays. Believe CD changer and Nav were standard for VDP and a cost item on XJ8 and XJ8L. Probably Jaguar's attempt to offer more for the $ as sales dwindled.

Motor Trend's site has a good side-by-side comparison here: Used 2007 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 Sedan Trim Comparison - 2007 Jaguar XJ-Series XJ8 Sedan Comparisons - Motor Trend Magazine

Old 06-24-2013, 08:22 AM

Great answer! I didn't know that and so that throws a new wrinkle into the equation; we need to know the year of the car in the pictures.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

In the first few years of the X350, the VDP included:
1. Pleated better quality leather seats, with an accent piping (vs no contrast piping)
2. Inlay strip in the wood trim on the doors and above the glove box (vs no inlays)
3. Wood surrounding the controls by the rear view mirror (vs plain plastic)
4. Removable lambs wool rugs (vs standard removable carpets)
5. Leatherette wrapped front console deck in which you can see the stitching running along the leading edge (vs plain plastic)
6. Fold down trays in the LWB version, which didn't appear until 2005 (vs no fold down trays)

For exterior, the VDP included different rims, and chrome wrapped side mirrors.

As someone else pointed out, later years of the X350 started blending some of the VDP features into the base X350's, making them a little harder to distinguish.

Depending on the geographic market in which the car was sold, the VPD may have come with more standard options, that were add-on's to the lesser models. for example, I can't recall offhand if the rear blind was a standard VDP feature, or was an included option to the base VDP that was optional on lesser models. Other options that seems to have been included in the base VDP in some markets were front and/or rear park assist and Nav - these could be added on to lesser models.

PigletJohn (06-29-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 205 Likes on 188 Posts

everything listed above is correct

rear share was standard in VDP
BOSE was standard
upgraded leather/piping/wood
lambswool carpet (really nice except for when it gets wet)
nav standard

Pretty much everything was standard except for the rear entertainment system.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:17 AM
Received 150 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Maybe an odd question, but.....

Can someone tell me the actual size/diameter of the gold pinstripe please?..

Old 08-27-2015, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Marque
Can someone tell me the actual size/diameter of the gold pinstripe please?..
V'welllll,,,,, I bought some Pinstripe that really looks pretty good, so I'm gonna put it on tomorrow. I was gonna buy the door trims & Airbag trim just for the Gold inlay, but then thought about it, & said,,,,, "fark that".. Pinstripe is gonna work perfectly I think!..

Old 08-27-2015, 11:28 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

VDP mirrors are supposed to be chrome? Mine aren't. I wish they were.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Torrid
VDP mirrors are supposed to be chrome? Mine aren't. I wish they were.

I seem to recall you could optionally purchase the chrome mirror caps from the Jaguar's X350 accessory catalogue. With some searching around, you could probably get them from a wrecker.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Smile My 2004 VDP DOES have the wood picnic trays on the back of the seats.

Originally Posted by rhankey
In the first few years of the X350, the VDP included:
1. Pleated better quality leather seats, with an accent piping (vs no contrast piping)
2. Inlay strip in the wood trim on the doors and above the glove box (vs no inlays)
3. Wood surrounding the controls by the rear view mirror (vs plain plastic)
4. Removable lambs wool rugs (vs standard removable carpets)
5. Leatherette wrapped front console deck in which you can see the stitching running along the leading edge (vs plain plastic)
6. Fold down trays in the LWB version, which didn't appear until 2005 (vs no fold down trays)

For exterior, the VDP included different rims, and chrome wrapped side mirrors.

As someone else pointed out, later years of the X350 started blending some of the VDP features into the base X350's, making them a little harder to distinguish.

Depending on the geographic market in which the car was sold, the VPD may have come with more standard options, that were add-on's to the lesser models. for example, I can't recall offhand if the rear blind was a standard VDP feature, or was an included option to the base VDP that was optional on lesser models. Other options that seems to have been included in the base VDP in some markets were front and/or rear park assist and Nav - these could be added on to lesser models.
My 2004 VDP DOES have the wood picnic trays on the back of the seats and the rear power blind.

I can post photos of the pinstriping, if you want. Do you need the width still?

Chrome rear mirror: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-2003-Ja...e6129d&vxp=mtr

Air bag cover: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RIGHT-PASSEN...d35387&vxp=mtr

VDP wood door trim with pinstripes: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-05-06-0...c2ad16&vxp=mtr

and other individual pieces here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+wood&_sacat=0

Best regards,

Ben

Last edited by BenJ; 08-28-2015 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added info
Old 08-28-2015, 08:44 AM

Hi Ben; I've sorta gotten the width etc., & used some pics off of eBay for reference; after applying, I didn't like the color, as well as, trying to get the stripe on straight is a mugggg!!!

Old 08-29-2015, 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=BenJ;1297038]My 2004 VDP DOES have the wood picnic trays on the back of the seats and the rear power blind.

I believe the rear power blind was standard with the VDP. Without looking it up, I can't recall offhand if the blind was standard or an option with the non-VDP.

Picnic trays only came from the factory with the LWB cars. 2004 XJ's only came to NA as a SWB, so no picnic trays. The 2005 LWV VDP's had picnic trays. There are a few threads on this site of people who have retrofitted the picnic trays onto their cars.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:29 PM
Default Picnic trays

[QUOTE=rhankey;1297924]
Originally Posted by BenJ
My 2004 VDP DOES have the wood picnic trays on the back of the seats and the rear power blind.

Picnic trays only came from the factory with the LWB cars. 2004 XJ's only came to NA as a SWB, so no picnic trays. The 2005 LWV VDP's had picnic trays. There are a few threads on this site of people who have retrofitted the picnic trays onto their cars.
The 2004 VDP was only available in a SWB, which is what my wife really likes about it; easier to park.

2005 started the LWB as standard on the VDP, from what I remember.

Take care,

Ben

Old 08-30-2015, 11:44 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by carzaddict
everything listed above is correct

rear shade was standard in VDP
BOSE was standard
upgraded leather/piping/wood
lambswool carpet (really nice except for when it gets wet)
nav standard

Pretty much everything was standard except for the rear entertainment system.
My 06 SV8 came with three regular carpets with tags on the back that said 2008, so I guess someone didn't like the lambswool. I have lambswool in my 86 Daimler Double Six and think they are luxurious looking and feeling but my wife doesn't care for them so it is just as well that "HER" 06 SV8 doesn't have them. We live in the sticks and the squirrels spread hickory nut parts all over the drive that stick in our shoes so I ordered the factory black rubber mats for the front - she's happy that they have leapers on them and no wool.

Quick Reply: Interior trim, XJ8 vs. VDP: Any difference?