XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

intermittent headlight issue, plz help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default intermittent headlight issue, plz help

In a nutshell, my headlights, in auto or in the "on" position, sometimes flash on their own rather quickly. It is rare when it occures. When they go on and off, messing up, they flash on and off about 1 second off then back on, a second off then back on. It stops when I turn em off then back on. Like I said, it doesnt happen often. I rule out the sensor for the auto mode since it also happens when I manually turn them on. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, one more thing, it is not just one light but both headlamps.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:42 PM
Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

Sounds like you may need a new set of HID elements, These fail like that after a certain # of hours. Mine were doing this and I replaced the pair for $80, -10% code from Super Bright LED Car Lights, LED Bulbs, HID Headlights and Accessories (HID-D1S-D1R-D1C)
Now if it is the control module under the lights they are a bit more

Old 06-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile Hid

Agree with dsetter.

Super bulbs good choice.

Search bulbs on the forum and you will get plenty of hints on how to access and change the bulbs. Small hands, no need to remove bumper cover, etc.

New bulbs fixed mine.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:33 AM

Thanks for that advise, but my jag has halogen bulbs.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

I haven't gone through that on my Jag, but I have on other cars.... check for proper electric ground??

Old 06-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

The XJs all have halogen high beams-do you have HID low beams or halogen low beams? If they are halogens, replacements are cheap and easy to find at any parts store, might as well try a couple of new bulbs.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by BigHarv
The XJs all have halogen high beams-
Except the ones with Bi-Xenons fitted

Old 06-14-2012, 08:26 PM

All my bulbs, low, high, and fog lights are halogen. I can try new bulbs, but, both blink on and off together. I am an electronics technician, radar tech, but still electronics. Typically, 9 times out of 10, 2 modules wont misbehave together unless something inline, ahead, of the two modules has malfunctioned. I do like the possible improper ground possibility. Nevertheless, anything is possible.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I'm also getting intermittent flashing during daylight and on 'Auto lights'. I see the sat-nav keeping switching Day to Night and back, plus lights-on indicator comes on. Not investigated so far, I just turn lights to Off, but will no doubt get round to looking at it some time.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Have a look at this thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...setting-74320/
I know the symptoms are slightly different but a bit of cable waggling might be in order.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by usmc1211
In a nutshell, my headlights, in auto or in the "on" position, sometimes flash on their own rather quickly. It is rare when it occures. When they go on and off, messing up, they flash on and off about 1 second off then back on, a second off then back on. It stops when I turn em off then back on. Like I said, it doesnt happen often. I rule out the sensor for the auto mode since it also happens when I manually turn them on. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, one more thing, it is not just one light but both headlamps.
We recently had to replace the turn signal stalk on my wife's 05 VDP. Whenever she would signal right or left, it would cause the bright lights to flash on, and sometimes stay on. This is the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel. As you know you can push this stalk forward and turn the brights on or pull it back and flash them on until you release the stalk.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Have a look at this thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...setting-74320/
I know the symptoms are slightly different but a bit of cable waggling might be in order.
Very helpful thread, possibly. I will definitly look into what that person did. I have like symptoms, near identical, like the auto column not working.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same issue as RSCULTHO above. Replaced the turn signal stalk and all is well. I don't know if the lights were actually flashing or not, but the nav screen would flash from day to night. When driving at night the nav screen did not flash, but the dash lights would flash bright for a brief moment.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
We recently had to replace the turn signal stalk on my wife's 05 VDP. Whenever she would signal right or left, it would cause the bright lights to flash on, and sometimes stay on. This is the stalk on the left side of the steering wheel. As you know you can push this stalk forward and turn the brights on or pull it back and flash them on until you release the stalk.

I have the same problem with the high beams. I just bump it a bit forward and all is good. I will be looking for a used one sooner or later though. I don't know for certain but a bit stronger spring might resolve the problem. How to do that??? I recon you would need to tear into it because I see no repairs just replacement.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2005 XJ8L on an off headlights flashing

Hello guys,

Luv my 2005 XJ8L Jaguar. Good to see this Jaguar forum for us Jag lovers! Well, I have a problem with my light flashing on/off while in auto mode. When I turn vehicle off they strobe light flash as well. Had the sensor fixed but problem is still there, any suggestions?

Marshall

Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM
NDW
Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Marshall,

My 2005 XJ8L has the same problem with the headlights flickering on/off in auto mode. No rhyme or reason to the frequency of the problem. Will go weeks without it happening, and then it will occur multiple times in one night. When I manually turn the headlights on/off it cures the problem. For now I am just going to switch to manual until I read about a cure.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

It's happening to me too, and intermittently. so difficult to pin down. Local indie says he'll take a look at next service, in the meantime it's "Doors to manual" as they say.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:57 AM

Well, since my previous post... had the HID lights replace as well as the sensor in the dash & yet still get the flickering/flashing of both lights randomly when they want to or when I park & lock the door at times. Not sure how to solve this... Luv my JAG, hanging in there. I guess, I'll keep looking to see if anyone has fixed these types of issues.

----------
2005 XJ8L Artic White

Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Default Flickering lights

Not sure if my symtoms are connected or not. My headlights also will turn off for a second or two while driving. This is while in Auto or Manual. I will turn the headlight switch off and on and they will come back on. Kind of scary when on coming traffic is thinking your are flashing them or dangerous if a cop sees that and wants to investigate why i am flashing him/her....I also get a message on my info screen saying "Lights are off" even when they are in manual off in the daytime. It seems to think it is dark outside and is telling me to turn on head lamps. Any ideas what is a fix?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 PM

forgot to include that i have an 04 VDP

Quick Reply: intermittent headlight issue, plz help