XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

intermittent headlight issue, plz help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

swduke,
Still trying to figure this issue out myself. Hang in there, for me as I was saying... replaced the both HID headlights as well as the sensor on the dash. I heard that the sensor on the mirror might have something to do with the light flashing problem, but I thought that controled the windshield washers only??? I'm still hoping someone can clue us in to any other ideas or maybe a ground somewhere.

Jagitt
05 XJ8L White Onyx

Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Default Seats making clicking noise???

Ok,
I've moved from the not only the light issues cutting off/on randomly on me to my seat making a clicking noise as I drive. I notice it mostly when I take off. Any help?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:43 AM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

water seeping into the electronics under the hood? in the trunk? loose components? faulty ground? the list goes on and on.... Good Luck!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,423 Likes on 1,936 Posts

I had a quick look on the internet, and there are lots of posts on Xenon lights flickering - Merc, BMW, Volvo, they all seem to have it, which makes me think it may be the bulb is on the way out, but not actually failed completely.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, same problems with the low beam HIDs everyone else is referencing. Started with the driver's side -- would intermittently go out at night, then back on. Then sometimes go for days or weeks and be fine. Then go on and off irregularly and frequently. Then the passenger side would go out and back on. Freaks you out first time both go out at night on a dark road.

Turning stalk to off and back on would help sometimes (especially at first), turning car off and back on usually did the trick -- sometimes for hours or days would be fine, sometimes start going off again almost immediately.

I tried not using auto mode -- no difference. I turned off daylight running light mode. No help.

In last week or so, passenger side is completely out -- so now I think that bulb is wasted. Fuses are good. Seems to me the sensor being intermittently bad would cause both lights to go out at the same time.

A few of times, even fog lights went out, and even scarier, have been driving with the high beams on -- and THEY went out at 70 MPH!

This is a dangerous situation! I discussed with dealer service folks and they want to check ballasts and the stalk. What is Jaguar USA doing about this? Does anyone know?

For my money it has to be a problem with the stalk. Anyone know how much the dealer charges for the parts and labor on that?

This problem is on 2005 XJ8L / 101K miles. The HID bulbs and ballasts have never been replaced.

Thanks!
====================
2001 XK8 convertible
2005 XJ8L

Old 09-15-2014, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by usmc1211
Very helpful thread, possibly. I will definitly look into what that person did. I have like symptoms, near identical, like the auto column not working.
Hi USMC, I have the same problem on a 2004 VDP - was your problem fixed? Was it loose wires that came out of their connector? I read every post out there regarding this problem but have not seen a fix for this light-flicker. Please help.

Ron

Old 09-16-2014, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I have the problem as well, lights shutting off randomly in both auto and manual. My plan is to replace the switch as it seems to be in the middle of the equation. For me, when I switch from manual to auto, the lights will stay on. This could only be the switch.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did same thing on 05 XJ8L. Are these xenon or halogen? If xenon, just start by getting a new set of xenon bulbs and replacing those. Then if that does not help replace the ballasts. It might seem like both headlights are going on/off at same time but as things progress you will notice they can blink independently. There is a thread on here that provides step by step instructions with good photos on how to get access to the inside of the headlights from the back. It's what I used. Small limber hands are best.

Bulbs should be about $100 each at parts store or maybe $70 online. Ballasts should be $200 at the auto parts store. Sounds like a lot until you go to the Jag dealer - they do not replace bulbs and ballasts they want to replace headlight units and those are over $1200 each. The quote I got to replace both headlights was $3400. I spent $200 on a couple of bulbs and it took 40 minutes to change them. Burn in new xenons as directed!

Changing just the bulbs worked for me and been good for over a year.

I would not waste my time looking for another answer. I did and wasted a lot of time.

By the way I got my dealer service rep to tell me why they don't like to change bulbs and ballasts. It is because if you do not get the seal back in the right spot moisture can get into the enclosure. They will not warranty if they replace.

Originally Posted by usmc1211
In a nutshell, my headlights, in auto or in the "on" position, sometimes flash on their own rather quickly. It is rare when it occures. When they go on and off, messing up, they flash on and off about 1 second off then back on, a second off then back on. It stops when I turn em off then back on. Like I said, it doesnt happen often. I rule out the sensor for the auto mode since it also happens when I manually turn them on. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, one more thing, it is not just one light but both headlamps.