XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jaguar Reliability

After this being my 3rd XJ, I would have thought by now that comments by others concerning the reliability of a car that they have never owned would'nt phase me anymore. I'm sick of it. Is Jaguar's entire reputation based on an '80's Lucas mentality?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_176755.html

Old 04-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kru, I have to agree, I have only owned my 08 XJ for a month so I can't yet comment on it. So far I am enjoying it very much. However as a long time Land Rover owner (15 plus years and 6 rovers later) 2 Defenders, Range Rover, 1964 Series IIa, Discovery, and LR3, and many off-road miles to remote places in them all, I too get frustrated with comments made by others as to the "unreliability" of the some of the best motorcars ever produced. And as you stated these remarks are always made by people who have never owned or driven such wonderful cars. Sure I have had minor issues with some of my British 4x4s, but the pleasure they have given me, and the places they have taken me to, out weigh any problems I have had with these vehicles. These vehicles are timeless in design, and when you spot one on the motorway or on a backcountry trail you instantly know of it's bloodline.
For me, it's knowing I have chose to drive a car for reasons only few of us seem to understand.
Jeff

Old 04-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I have two standard responses, used according to mood :-)

Sometimes I'll just say "Yeah, I guess they're not for everybody"

Other times I'll say "Oh? What model Jaguar have you owned ?"

Either one usually shuts 'em up :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 04-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got asked the same question last night by guys who own a Bimmer and Lexus.
My answer is " Does your car make you smile when you look at it?" or "It's easier to spot a Jag in a parking lot".

Notice most of the times here's what's true:
a) They have never owned a Jag.
b) They are always worried about repairs & resale value.
c) Own a Merc/BMW/Lexus.
________
Toyota Voltz

Last edited by sanand911; 02-08-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:48 AM

I guess it's just our little secret. There never seems to be a shortage of Mercs, BMWs or Lexus at any given street corner. I really do like knowing that I won't go out and see a car like mine every time I leave the driveway. They must be giving the new LS series Lexus away at the dealers because I see more of those than anything. Nice to know JD power put Jag above them in dependability.

Following the rest of the herd is a sure path to mediocrity.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to agree with Roverlr3 (maybe it is the rover owner in me) but I will also say why in the world would you want a car that everyone owns? Small minor issues here and there are acceptable to own one of a few.

I have wanted an XJ since I use to watch the equalizer in the 80's, oh how I wanted that car XJ6 and to be Robert McCall.

But at least now I own an XJ.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Allow me to counter this. While I have had no problems with my jag other than some annoying check engine light stuff that seems to have stopped. This reliability data is true whether your experience reflects it or not. I was married to an actuary who worked for one of the auto warranty companies and the data she had access to tells the truth based on claims and payouts. Range rovers are not that great, have lots of problems and are generally not reliable cars. I am not saying that anyone who owns one has problems with them all the time, but the data is what it is. I have asked many who do own them and pretty much all universally told me they had no issues. When i brought this up to my wife, she flat out told me they were either lying, or i was not asking enough people to get a good sample. So it is what it is. Not all cars are perfect, you just choose your aggravations. I personally like the range rovers, but think they are grossly overpriced. As to the jags, now you are talking, I got a good deal on a car that is fun to drive, and seems to carry a certain cachet with it. I have noticed getting treated better from others once they see you pull up in one, and a nice side bennie of being noticed by the opposite sex despite my troll like appearance. Just my 2 cents here on this.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Let people think what they want. I hear the same with Alfa's too. I ask my friend who was on the fense about getting a low mile 164 Alfa... "Seems like there's a lot of them with 200K on the odometer..." "That is because the car lasts long enough to get there", was my response. Jaguar has a bad reputation for many, and it's going to take attractive leases on new cars for that change. Lesse's and their friends will remember their experience and think different when it comes to Jaguar.

A buddy of mine has gone through 3 Merc's in 3 years. 2 of them were returned due to State Lemon Law. He bought a Maserati Q-Porte and he thinks it's the most reliable car he's ever owned....

Old 04-14-2009, 01:32 PM

it didn't help when mine got flatbedded yesterday in front of the YMCA during their busiest hour because it wouldn't start. Had it taken home and found the shift linkage bracket was missing a bolt causing it to not go into park. quick fix but lots of people seeing it get loaded just fed the reputation.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

The old reputation sure is hard for them to shake loose for some reason. On the plus side it mad an awesome somewhat new car affordable for me. Kinda like being in a secret society for those of us that know what these cars are really like.
I like the answers you guys give as well when somebody asks!!!
Chad

Old 04-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KruBruder
it didn't help when mine got flatbedded yesterday in front of the YMCA during their busiest hour because it wouldn't start. Had it taken home and found the shift linkage bracket was missing a bolt causing it to not go into park. quick fix but lots of people seeing it get loaded just fed the reputation.
Mine was flatbedded last week from a gas station due to a faulty fuel pump, I felt sorry for the brand reputation it was losing from all the gawkers.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:15 PM

My brand new 2008 XJR had an antifreeze leak at 700 miles on the odometer...this happened at a Mobil station on the interstate....nothing speaks of reputation more than a brand new Jag with temp plates and propped-up hood with smoke coming out...It turned out to be a fluke thing - the radiator hose was improperly attached at the factory- but still...since then, it's been great..will see how it goes...the car definitely gets a lot more compliments then my e55 ever did...

Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 PM

rusbel, I sympathise with you. It makes us feel we made a bad decision for buying a particular brand of motorcar when it has to be trucked to the dealership for repair. Especially at such a public place, with so few miles. All eyes watching it get loaded up and hauled off, then it reinforces to them, that make of car is problematic, even "junk". However, you were spot on when you said, "gets more compliments than my E55 ever did". IMHO, when we buy a car we truly enjoy driving, receive nice compliments, and don't see on every corner, it makes those small inconveniences worth putting up with.
Jeff

Old 04-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by roverlr3
However, you were spot on when you said, "gets more compliments than my E55 ever did". IMHO, when we buy a car we truly enjoy driving, receive nice compliments, and don't see on every corner, it makes those small inconveniences worth putting up with.
Jeff
I bought an S430 and traded it four months later for my VDP. While the Merc was nice, I get multitudes more compliments now than the Merc ever did. I now attribute my Jag's downfall last week to a cursed parking lot at the YMCA. My wife parked in the same lot two days ago for an hour and came out to a hellish dent in the door. I'm going to check out the Y's video from that day and hunt somebody down. None the less, I bought the Jag because it's what I wanted, not what I can deal with. So I have no regrets about it.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:07 PM

KruBruder, How mad were you to see the Jag with body damage? It gets me fired up to think of the inconsideration and lack of respect some people have for others autos.
Some of us work very hard to keep our vehicles tip top, and to see it get knackered up is just wrong. I don't care what make, BMW, Merc, Jag, Rover, Aston, nice cars are to be appreciated.
Jeff