XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Jaguar Voice in 2006 XJ8 with iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar Voice in 2006 XJ8 with iPhone

I called Jaguar customer service and they said that the Jaguar Voice phone/bluetooth option is only compatible up to iPhone 4. I was wondering if anyone has come up with an alternate way to equip an older vehicle to utilize current model smartphones?

Last edited by Cambo; 08-28-2016 at 06:24 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 08-28-2016, 06:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 3 month old iPhone SE works fine with my 2006 XJR. Have you tried pairing them?

Old 08-28-2016, 06:59 AM

No hadn't tried because I didn't know how. That is actually why I initially called Jaguar Customer Service to help. The conversation didn't even get to the pairing process because the rep said my phone wouldn't work with my vehicle.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

iPhone 6plus in 2005 super v8 with no troubles.

If I recall, the pairing process is documented in the handbook. Next time out, I'll try and give it a look.

Should also be found here on the forum with a search.

Thanks
-mag

Old 08-30-2016, 06:16 PM
Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

The Jaguar Voice and the Phone/Bluetooth option are two separate things. The Jaguar Voice is some lame vehicle controls with where you can speak commands and stuff happens - not terribly useful.

The phone option comes in two varieties - wired phone and bluetooth phone. The bluetooth option is compatible with pretty much any modern phone. Pairing instructions are in a sticky post on this sub-forum "smartphone bluetooth connectivity with Jaguar" - the very first thread.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:31 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. I will try it tomorrow!

Old 08-30-2016, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by veffremov
The Jaguar Voice and the Phone/Bluetooth option are two separate things. The Jaguar Voice is some lame vehicle controls with where you can speak commands and stuff happens - not terribly useful.

The phone option comes in two varieties - wired phone and bluetooth phone. The bluetooth option is compatible with pretty much any modern phone. Pairing instructions are in a sticky post on this sub-forum "smartphone bluetooth connectivity with Jaguar" - the very first thread.
I installed VACM as well as Jaguar Bluetooth in my 2005XJR.

Both I find very useful.

I use voice control on navigation as well as all the time on the CD changer and the single CD. In my humble opinion not in the least "lame".

Old 08-30-2016, 07:37 PM

Thanks for your reply. What is VACM? Also, this is the display screen for my navigation, climate control, radio, etc. is yours the same?

Old 08-30-2016, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Yes mine is the same as yours.

VACM = Voice Activation Control Module.

It allows you to control almost anything linked to the "bus" by voice commands.

The voice commands have to be "relatively" precise. So ones that I use all the time I find easy to remember. I use voice to select CDs and tracks on CDs.

I can change heat/ cooling by voice and use that frequently.

My Bluetooth module is an upgraded one that supports multiple cell phones.

Both modules are difficult to find now.

They were not difficult to install in the rack that houses the Nav and CD changer.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:06 PM

My car only has a single CD player with the navigation unit For DVD's in the trunk, so I guess I can't install a VACM if I found one anyway. 🐴

Old 08-31-2016, 06:58 AM
Veteran Member

You could if you found the correct version for your car. You might even be able to install the multi CD changer as well.

If I were you I would research installing a multi CD changer in your model/year car and go from there.

There is a fibre optic loop, DB2, that links all these things together and the trick is understanding how to expand this loop. Once you understand that it is not that difficult.

You would also have to make sure the harness in the trunk has the spare connectors for these additions.

If your car had these things as options you probably do. Your 2006 XJ8 probably did have these as options.

In my case I had spare connectors ready and waiting in my trunk, where the metal stack is, for the Bluetooth module and the VACM unit.

Last edited by jackra_1; 08-31-2016 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rapunzil!!
Holla back when you find out! From where I'm sitting, anything after market on Jaguars are not suggested. Furthermore Insurance will not cover. oh!! The dilemma! I have a IPhone 6s. If you stick a cassette module in and plug it to your new iPhone you can talk and listen to music over your jags existing radio. I'm still on the adventure to find out more.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:36 PM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I've got an '08 XJ with the same touch screen and pairing was very simple. I don't have the multi-changer CD in the trunk either. On my phone I opened up Settings>BlueTooth while sitting in the car. It recognized Jaguar and I punched in the activation code 1313. Maybe the '08 cars have upgraded electronics.

The following users liked this post:
Black Ice (10-16-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Black Ice
Rapunzil!!
Holla back when you find out! From where I'm sitting, anything after market on Jaguars are not suggested. Furthermore Insurance will not cover. oh!! The dilemma! I have a IPhone 6s. If you stick a cassette module in and plug it to your new iPhone you can talk and listen to music over your jags existing radio. I'm still on the adventure to find out more.
Turns out I had no issue setting it up at all. I was easily able to pair my phone and upload my contacts. I guess the rep at Jaguar was misinformed.