XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Just an apprciation for a great car

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:15 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Just an apprciation for a great car

I don't very often spend any time driving my wife's '04 XJ8 but over the past week I've had the pleasure of driving it a lot. The ABS light came on and my SDD software for some reason would not give me a fault code. Since the ABS system has so many possible components that can fail it's just too expensive to just throw parts at it in hopes of getting lucky so I took it to a Bosch certified independent in Crystal River, Fl. to get them to scan it. (All Prestige Automotive for those in Florida who are looking for a good independent)

The left rear speed sensor had failed so I made a second trip a couple of days later to have them replace it. The drive down, and back, allowed me to really exercise the car as highway 19 down the west coast of the state is a very little used 4 lane divided highway with only a couple of cross roads every 10-15 miles to break the boredom.

Her XJ is just plain magnificent as it cruises at 85-90 without breaking a sweat. It still has some acceleration on tap, holds the road beautifully, doesn't wander from your chosen path, and remains quiet and composed despite the speed. The only time you get a real 'feel' for your velocity is when you overtake and pass the occasional traffic that is plodding along at 60-65.

I've been fortunate over the years to own and drive some of Europe and America's best cars and this one rates at or very near the top of the heap and it's a 4 door 5 passenger sedan with no pretensions to being a GT car of any description.

Just a really tremendous engineering accomplishment and worth whatever small inconveniences we have to put up with.

The following users liked this post:
djpxk8 (08-30-2017)
Old 08-30-2017, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor

Her XJ is just plain magnificent as it cruises at 85-90 without breaking a sweat. It still has some acceleration on tap, holds the road beautifully, doesn't wander from your chosen path, and remains quiet and composed despite the speed. The only time you get a real 'feel' for your velocity is when you overtake and pass the occasional traffic that is plodding along at 60-65.

I've been fortunate over the years to own and drive some of Europe and America's best cars and this one rates at or very near the top of the heap and it's a 4 door 5 passenger sedan with no pretensions to being a GT car of any description.

Just a really tremendous engineering accomplishment and worth whatever small inconveniences we have to put up with.
Having owned exactly the same model I can agree completely with your well-expressed comments. They are indeed wonderful cars in every way - but the, we can say pretty much the same thing about almost every modern Jaguar. They are beautiful, luxurious when meant to be, fast, solid, reliable, comfortable, well-built, and soul-stirring in a way that no other car seems to be. They are addictive!

Old 08-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Yes, that's about the speed I normally cruise at on German autobahns when going on holiday from here. We did Rotterdam-Berlin easily in a day without getting tired or stiff. Roadworks on all the German autobahns does cut your average speed, though. That plus the endless line trucks on 2-lane sections.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 PM
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts
Angry

RDMinor, I have the same error light come up on my 2001 XK8 here in Orlando.
I did the cleaning off all the wheel speed sensors but that did not clean the yellow light or the error code.

Is that not a Jaguar Indy in Orlando that can test the wheel speed sensors??

How long does it take to drive to Crystal River to the Bosch indy?

How much did he charge to diagnose the problem?

Also, do you have a contact name and phone number for the person you used?

My email address is david@davidpackwood.com

Many thanks

Old 09-03-2017, 12:43 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Amen, RDMinor, it's one supremely competent car. Going to be hanging on to this one for a long time.

Old 09-04-2017, 07:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also like to add my appreciation for Jaguars.

I've been bitten a few times by this bug!

In the '80's I owned a Series III - XJ6 car, great vehicle.

In the '90's I had a love hate relationship with 3 different XJ40's. Great cars when they were sorted out.

3 years ago I purchased a low mileage X300, I re-bushed the front and rear suspension. changed the shocks, did some minor body mods and did a complete colour change. great running car.

4 weeks ago I purchased an '04 XJ8 that runs great but has a few issues that I will be addressing, but overall a pleasure to drive! I am just a little disappointed with the fact that Jaguar has used chrome plated plastic trim, but that's just a sign of the times, cost and weight reduction.

I have always enjoyed the Jaguar ride, I characterize it like the smooth ride of an S-Class Benz(or maybe even a Rolls-Royce) but corners almost as well as a BMW M5 without the harshness. Truly great suspension engineering.

As for the Jaguar issues, well, the advantages the car offers out weight the service issues in my opinion.

I have owned lots of European exotics and sedans, they all have their issues, the only real battle we face owning a Jaguar is used parts availability and 3rd party parts and service, but this due to the fact that it is a relatively limited production number vehicle unlike BMW and Benz.

As long as forums such as this exist, we can keep our cars going for a very long time.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

I absolutely agree with everything you've said,...., 90-100mph all day long and in great comfort,...., silky smooth.

I'm hooked on Jaguars,....., and I want a 2007 jaguar XKR now,..........................., really bad:-)

Old 09-13-2017, 11:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the XKR!

Old 09-14-2017, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Absolutely agree with comments made in this thread.

On long drives my XJR leaves me far less stressed than when I drive my Dodge Dakota V8 Magnum on long drives.

Every couple of months or so I drive 450 miles,at night, from MD to MA and the XJR cruises so easily 90 - 100 mph with still power on tap.I also go from MD with the car packed to the gills taking stuff up to MA.

I have had cops pass me on rt95 when I am doing around 100 with nothing around and they do not bother with me in the inside lane.

I usually spot them coming up fast behind me but on a couple of occasions I have not!

This weekend its the truck so not looking forward to this trip.