XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Just bought a 2004 VDP, please help with few things

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Just bought a 2004 VDP, please help with few things

Hello Folks

As the title says I have bought a 2004 VDP and need help with few things. I was following the forum for a long time but decided to join when I bought the JAG.

I need help with few things please,

1. One of the things that appeared as I was test driving the vehicle was the front (passenger side) headlight started flickering. Keeps going on/off. If I turn it off then turn it right back on it works for about a minute then shuts off. Then it goes back on again then off. Keeps doing it non stop. I called a Jaguar dealer and they quoted me 1500
they said I had to buy the headlight assembly which has a built in ballast and I had to buy the bulb which also has a ballast. 1036 for assebmly and 230 + 2 hrs labor.

Anyone had this issue before? how did you go about fixing it? I was thinking about changing the bulb first to see what's going on but any advice will be appreciated.

2. The AC compressor is out on this car. I bought it knowing that the AC compressor was out but the owner discounted the price of the vehicle a little. Any advice where to get the part from? for example I know MB or BMW have those sites like www.getbmwparts.com that sell factory parts with warranty but much cheaper than dealerships. So Iwas wondering if jag has the same website or similar that I can find original/oem parts but are cheaper than what I would find in a dealership. Also if anyone knows what the part number is that would be hlepful.

Other than these two issues everything in the car runs and works as it should and I am loving it!!! Jags (especially the big ones) are really pleasant to drive

Thanks Folks

Old 01-17-2017, 05:25 PM
Received 96 Likes on 84 Posts

After I purchased my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L three years ago, and after initially throwing $1,000 down the drain for a new air compressor at a Jaguar dealership (which didn't cure the problem), it didn't take me long at all to get the vehicle's air suspension system converted over to Arnott coil/springs. After the conversion, I never looked back. In several respects, I found that the ride on the coil/springs was even superior to the air shocks.

The following users liked this post:
croco (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickkk
After I purchased my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L three years ago, and after initially throwing $1,000 down the drain for a new air compressor at a Jaguar dealership (which didn't cure the problem), it didn't take me long at all to get the vehicle's air suspension system converted over to Arnott coil/springs. After the conversion, I never looked back. In several respects, I found that the ride on the coil/springs was even superior to the air shocks.
if you don't mind me asking why would you calling it (throwing $1000 down the drain? ) I mean did they not fix it? and if they didn't why didn't you ask to be refunded? just curious because for a $1000 I don't mind the repair at a Jaguar dealership but I thought it would cost me $2000+ to get it repaired at a dealer

Old 01-17-2017, 10:14 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Rickkk I see Croco asked about AC compressor, not suspensions air compressor, those are two difference kind of compressors.

croco (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Croco,

On item #1, the dealer must be kidding. I also have a 2004 VDP that had the same symptoms. I replaced both front headlight bulbs with OEM Xenon HID units and it came to only $75 in parts back then, and it's not a difficult DIY job. Never had a problem since.

Search the archives and you'll both learn about the headlights and find some how-to on doing the job if you are game.

Assuming your lights are the same as mine here is a link to one eBay seller offering the same units I purchased:

NEW OEM PAIR 2PCS OSRAM XENARC D1S 66144 ORIGINAL 4300K HID XENON LIGHT BULBS | eBay

On item #2, do you know the AC Compressor is bad? Has the system been checked with a set of AC gauges to check pressures. Most modern AC compressors have safety switches that protect the compressor in case there is no charge in the system. Other components such as relays or fuses could be at fault.

These cars can get unduly expensive if you throw parts at problems. It's a better course to first determine exact faults first. The sticky at the top of the X350 Forum for "HOW TO" has a link to Factory Workshop Manuals. I would look at those because there are probably pin point tests for the AC system to help you run down problems, and again I would recommend you start searching the forum for AC issues and learn more.

Good Luck

Last edited by Mac Allan; 01-18-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:39 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Hi Croco,

Regarding your headlamps, some members have resolved a flickering headlamp by cleaning the ground point(s) behind the headlamp. See the photos in this post:

Earths / Grounds Behind Headlamps: Cleaning & Service

If cleaning the grounds doesn't help, replace the burners (bulbs) as Mac suggests. The original equipment (OE) burners are Osram Xenarc D1S. Just be aware that counterfeits are known, so purchase from a trusted seller. The cheap ones on eBay are almost certainly counterfeit. There's a YouTube video that shows you how to tell a counterfeit from a real one.

If replacing the burners doesn't solve the problem, you probably need a new ballast. The ballast is the electronic module that provides the necessary voltage and current to power the burners, and it mounts on the underside of the headlamp assembly. The ballast in your '04 is probably the Valeo LAD5G with 12-pins. Later X350s use the less expensive 4-pin ballast, LAD5GL. I've purchased the LAD5G ballasts from an Amazon seller for about $200 each. There is a seller from Croatia who offers them for less, but I haven't been willing to wait and was concerned about the possibility of counterfeit units. There is a wiring harness available to connect the 4-pin ballast to your 12-pin harness, but your car probably has the headlamp leveling solenoids and if they are functional, that functionality will be lost with a 4-pin ballast.

Regarding good sources for Jaguar parts, our forum sponsors SNG Barratt, Coventry West and Jagbits are all excellent and very knowledgeable. For parts that can only be sourced from a Jaguar dealer, jaguarmerriamparts.com and gaudinjaguarparts.com are the sites of Jaguar dealers who sell parts online at discount prices.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-18-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Sean W (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

And to confirm the ballasts failing if cleaning the ground points doesn't solve, swap the low beam bulbs L to R and Visa versa. If the same side is still flickering, ballast. If the other side is now flickering , bulb.

Don B (01-18-2017)