XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Just bought 2011 XJ8L! LOVE IT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I like Audi's LEDs. It seems most cars are using them now-a-days, but I really don't like how they go out when you turn the turn signal on.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

XJ8JR , yeah the patio chair reflections on the doors are the price I had to pay for having high buff reflectivity associated surface. The color is Celestial (black/blue) and has a sort of softish high gloss.... The LEDs draw smiles when the car is idling parked at night . I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't notice them until the car was pulled off the showroom floor outside in the dark and I heard the comment "damn, those are sharp". I looked back to see the LEDs and admirers . This is the first Jag for me so I am not qualified to discuss its lineage. I will say, the car carries on the long tradition of elegant styling inside and out, draped over hefty power plants....

Old 07-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

Celestial, can I ask why you went for the Neiman Marcus edition?

Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 527 Likes on 371 Posts

In spite of all my prior XJ arguments, I will admit that it a very good looking car, even if in my opinion its not the redesign I was hoping for. I especially like the rear tail lights, very nifty.

I, too, like the Audi LEDs, but I don't like how every luxury car maker has copied them. Even if they look really nice (which they do) it just screams copycat. I really like the approach Range Rover has taken, with the LEDs spaced out on a ring circling their headlamps.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:30 PM

XJ8JR, I hear you concerning the trend towards care makers "borrowing" other maker's designs. TOPHATCHEF, I was in the market for a black XJL supercharged with london tan interior. While sitting at the desk putting in my order with a sales guy I found myself staring at the 1 0f 50 in the world neiman marcus XJL supercharged in the center of the showroom. I got up and checked out all the extras ; Celestial color, chrome tail pipe and mirror trim, lighted Jaguar door entrance plates, matching Jaguar leather luggage, beautiful wood interior trim , $1000 Neiman Marcus gift certificate etc.... The car was purchased as a gift and all said and done this version served the purpose best ......

Old 07-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Veteran Member

Okay. I was under the impression that the Neiman Marcus didn't have the London tan interior, but that gift certificate is a bonus, same as the luggage. The thing I don't like about it is that it's been named after a department store.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Tata just wants to sell more cars. Doubt they are interested in anything else. I do agree with you however about what the brand should be and what I want it to be. Jags are great cars and nobody styles like they do.

Last edited by viperz06; 07-29-2010 at 05:52 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:55 PM

TopHatChef, you are correct , the Neiman Marcus are all Celestial exterior, seats are dove with a medium blue trim. I was alluding to the fact that once I saw the N.M. my choice changed. I too am not rolled over by the (expensive) department store name. The car speaks for itself. That there are only 50 made /sold in the world may be a little kick too ....

Old 07-29-2010, 05:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Celestial
TopHatChef, you are correct , the Neiman Marcus are all Celestial exterior, seats are dove with a medium blue trim. I was alluding to the fact that once I saw the N.M. my choice changed. I too am not rolled over by the (expensive) department store name. The car speaks for itself. That there are only 50 made /sold in the world may be a little kick too ....
Beautiful car, how about a couple of pics?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Default a couple pics

Last edited by Celestial; 07-29-2010 at 01:52 PM. Reason: added code
Old 07-29-2010, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think all the pics of the new XJ in this thread are gorgeous and stunting, I haven't seen a color combination I wouldn't own. As for the styling, change is good sometimes it holds a certain shock value which returns inquires which will lead to sells. I would say they will incorporate some round headlights and all the original style Jag lovers that didn't buy one this time will be hustled back to the dealership to pledge their loyalty. All in all its a Jaguar, as for Porsche they did step outside the box with their SUV and now 4 door sedan.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

Four round headlights and a leaper, amen!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Celestial,

She's a beauty! How does your color compare to the Ultimate Black like mine, which is also a metallic? I can't tell from the pics, but there must be a difference in the flake composition of the paint, which makes the color look different in different lights. Inside the garage, you can't even tell mine is metallic, but out in the sun it really sparkles!

I originally wanted Ebony (the gloss black) because I didn't think I would like a metallic black (thought it would look dirty all the time), but after comparing the two I was sold on the metallic (and the dealer said that it was better for resale--all of the non-base model cars they order for speculation, they get with metallic paint).

I considered the Dove interior as well because I knew it would look great with a black exterior, but it was not available in the Supercharged model (only available in the base model with no piping on the seats--go figure), so I went with the London Tan with black contrast piping and stitching and am very pleased with it. Does yours have blue contrast piping and stitching?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,350 Likes on 1,063 Posts
Thumbs up

I like the new XJ - went and did a car selector, maxing all the features, just lovely. The only issue is the filler panel on the rear screen, but black as mentioned cancels this design flaw, my guess is manufacturing techniques stopped the use of glass, not a design faux pas from Ian Callum.

The history of Jaguar is in design, being the first to market, with such things as disc brakes, unitary construction, engines and suspension never seen in mass produced cars.

They're not shy of bringing a radical design to the masses, again history shows, XK120 the first production car to 120mph, and a recent stunt on Bonneville salt flats with an XFR at 225mph, just Jaguar all over.

They brought out the E Type to great acclaim. Broke the mould again with the XJS. Evolved the XJ into an Icon. As has been quoted, the XJ needed a racidal shift, and Callum has now established what he set out to do, pioneer a new Jaguar brand image, to my mind it needed it.

I've been around Jaguar all my life, lived and breathed them. Restored many, and still admire all the little things that make those cars from Coventry so special, I'm just happy the guys are still there, still making Jaguars.
It is a world company now (thanks to Ford's generosity in R&D) and has to appeal to a new generation of Jaguar lovers, we're at a time of regeneration. Now all we need is another win at Le Mans to stir sales, Audi are making it boring...

Old 07-29-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sean B
I like the new XJ - went and did a car selector, maxing all the features, just lovely. The only issue is the filler panel on the rear screen, but black as mentioned cancels this design flaw, my guess is manufacturing techniques stopped the use of glass, not a design faux pas from Ian Callum.

The history of Jaguar is in design, being the first to market, with such things as disc brakes, unitary construction, engines and suspension never seen in mass produced cars.

They're not shy of bringing a radical design to the masses, again history shows, XK120 the first production car to 120mph, and a recent stunt on Bonneville salt flats with an XFR at 225mph, just Jaguar all over.

They brought out the E Type to great acclaim. Broke the mould again with the XJS. Evolved the XJ into an Icon. As has been quoted, the XJ needed a racidal shift, and Callum has now established what he set out to do, pioneer a new Jaguar brand image, to my mind it needed it.

I've been around Jaguar all my life, lived and breathed them. Restored many, and still admire all the little things that make those cars from Coventry so special, I'm just happy the guys are still there, still making Jaguars.
It is a world company now (thanks to Ford's generosity in R&D) and has to appeal to a new generation of Jaguar lovers, we're at a time of regeneration. Now all we need is another win at Le Mans to stir sales, Audi are making it boring...
Very well said.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B

I hate to admit it, but your argument is extremely valid. However, I only admit it begrudgingly, sir!

Like I said before, the new XJ is not a bad car at all, its quite impressive. Itll just take some time for me to get used to it.

But Im steadfast in my hatred of the XF! And no one will change my mind!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 PM

HouTexJag,

the Celestial black in concept is the color of the evening sky just before all the atmospheric influences are gone and you perceive the full black of the night sky. Therefore it is black with blue hue. It is black in the late eve and definitely blue/black in the morning light. The dove seats are blue (grayish) piped . The metallic black with the london tan is soooo handsome ! I think the car looks great either way and if I was wealthy I might have one of each . I think what kicks the Celestial color and dove seats up a notch is the chrome treatment of the mirrors and tail pipe and those beautiful lighted door and trunk sills with the lighted Jaguar letters and leper. When i picked up some folks the other night and opened the doors the first coments were oooooh... class! referring to the lighted door sills.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 PM

Celestial,

Your color combination sounds awesome--would love to see one in person. I understand that Jaguar sold out all 50 in 4 hours, but I imagine some of those went to dealers like where you got yours. Nice touch that it included the lighted sills and chrome accents.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 PM

I was told the dealers had to kind of pull a quick one to get one of the 50, like using a "set up" buyer.... just came in after cruising over to panama city... I still amazed at the acceleration and handling . No tickets either ...

Old 07-31-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Celestial
I was told the dealers had to kind of pull a quick one to get one of the 50, like using a "set up" buyer.... just came in after cruising over to panama city... I still amazed at the acceleration and handling . No tickets either ...
That's what radar detectors are for--"don't leave home without it". Actually, I got pulled over a couple of days ago going through downtown--not really speeding, so I asked the cop why and he told me that he was just checking to make sure the car was not stolen, but I think he just wanted to get a closer look!

Quick Reply: Just bought 2011 XJ8L! LOVE IT!