XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

The last word on key programming...

Old 01-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts
Default The last word on key programming...

Can I program a new key for my 05 Super V8 using the posted procedure on this forum without going to a dealer or not?

I have read conflicting posts and received conflicting info from techs and dealers. I have gotten the new key CUT by a locksmith that had the special TIBBE cutter, but told me that a special Jaguar programming computer was required to make it work with the ignition security system. I was told that there are two separate security systems inside the key, one to start it and a separate one to unlock the doors.

I don't want to just try the programming procedure because I'm afraid I might erase my working (original) key. Is anyone on here really sure about this??

Thanks
Jeff

Old 01-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I did it on my 2005 XJR.

I had to go thru several attempts however it finally worked.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

To programme the transponder, the 'ignition' chip, without the Jag software (and lead) you need to have two already programmed to the car, ie two keys that already work; one isn't sufficient.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat
To programme the transponder, the 'ignition' chip, without the Jag software (and lead) you need to have two already programmed to the car, ie two keys that already work; one isn't sufficient.
I only had one key that worked.

I bought a used fob from Ebay and used that as second key and went thru the programming sequence as detailed in this forum and after about the sixth attempt had two working fobs.

I simply tansferred the guts from the used fob into my broken fob.

Old 01-15-2019, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

I believe it works with less than two keys if you're programming the remote access chip (the one that has the battery), but all the info I've seen says for programming the transponder chip (which is in the smaller top part of the fob with the Tibbe key, not the big bit with the buttons and the battery) you need two already programmed to the car.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 01-15-2019 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member

All I know is that I have two key fobs that operate remotely as well as all functions including starting the car. I originally had two working fobs and one just stopped working.

I changed batteries, cleaned contacts no joy.

Bought a used one same frequency on Ebay and swapped the board from that into my broken fob and went thru programming sequence as detailed in this forum.

I was getting a little frustrated as the programming sequence was not working to begin with. Once I got the speed of the procedure down it eventually worked. You have to be quite fast.

I even did it again to see if I could get the broken board to reprogram but could not.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:47 PM
wwr
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

If I understand John's post correctly he 'reused' the transponder from his original key fob and just replaced the wireless powered portion from the Ebay donor fob.
This seems consistent with Patrick the Cat's observation that if only one key/transponder is available then SDD is required.
John only had to get the car to recognize the wireless powered portion (the remote), not the already recognized transponder.

WW

Old 01-15-2019, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member

The above is what an "exploded" view of my key fob looks like.

There is only one electrical "component" which is the board. The one you are seeing is the broken one I have mentioned.

The battery is under the board.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:31 PM
wwr
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Hi John;
The battery powered PCB is only the wireless remote circuit (locks and unlocks doors, trunk without having to insert the key). This remote is what you are teaching the car to recognize with the procedure you used. This portion is not sufficient to enable PATS to start the engine.

If you look to the left of the tibbe key in your photo you will see a translucent tubular object with an internal coil. This is the transponder. It is a passive circuit not requiring a directly connected power supply. The transponder is electrically stimulated and then sensed by a circuit located in or near the ignition switch. This is why a recognized transponder must be in sense range for the car to actually start. There is brief mention in the "2004 XJ Technical Manual", pp 166, 170.

I don't recommend doing it but you could remove the transponder from your fob and then attempt to start the car to prove it is a necessary requirement.

Best Regards, William

The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wwr
Hi John;
The battery powered PCB is only the wireless remote circuit (locks and unlocks doors, trunk without having to insert the key). This remote is what you are teaching the car to recognize with the procedure you used. This portion is not sufficient to enable PATS to start the engine.

If you look to the left of the tibbe key in your photo you will see a translucent tubular object with an internal coil. This is the transponder. It is a passive circuit not requiring a directly connected power supply. The transponder is electrically stimulated and then sensed by a circuit located in or near the ignition switch. This is why a recognized transponder must be in sense range for the car to actually start. There is brief mention in the "2004 XJ Technical Manual", pp 166, 170.

I don't recommend doing it but you could remove the transponder from your fob and then attempt to start the car to prove it is a necessary requirement.

Best Regards, William
Okey I see what you are saying now. I will take your word about the transponder as it is very difficult to get at!

I was incorrectly under the impression that everything electrical was on that circuit board! Live and learn.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wwr
If you look to the left of the tibbe key in your photo you will see a translucent tubular object with an internal coil. This is the transponder.
That's the badger !

It's the Jaguar equivalent of the I/D microchip that you can have injected into your cat or dog's neck.

Without it, or with one not registered with the car's system the Tibbe will still turn all the way, and apparently all the lights on the dash will come on as normal, but when you turn the key to start ... nothing happens.

Old 01-15-2019, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Partick the Cat
That's the badger !

It's the Jaguar equivalent of the I/D microchip that you can have injected into your cat or dog's neck.

Without it, or with one not registered with the car's system the Tibbe will still turn all the way, and apparently all the lights on the dash will come on as normal, but when you turn the key to start ... nothing happens.
Can it be programmed with JLR SDD software?

Old 01-15-2019, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jackra_1
Can it be programmed with JLR SDD software?
Yes, 'though I've never done it myself. It's the only way if you have only one (or no) key with a transponder already registered.

However, if you have two keys with registered transponders (and the correct Tibbes of course) then there is a procedure where you put the good ones in, one after another (and do 'something') and then the new one you want to register.

However, I think the SDD is the only way to delete/deregister a transponder, eg if you loose a key.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 01-15-2019 at 03:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jackra_1 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Fobs can be programmed with out another fob, did it.
It takes two, programmed keys, to start with though.
Was not very happy about that, as a key needed bought, cut, & then programmed.
Had a new set of codes set, so any old keys would not work.
If i must pay, might as well get the most i can for my money.
After the second key; programmed, you can program as many as eight, if memory serves, yourself.
That's more than i have keys, or any need for.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member

YES ! You can program a third transponder if you already have two that work. That's what we said above, but you can't program a second TRANSPONDER on the car if you only have one that works; if that's all you have then you need an SDD plugged into the data port.

Simple programming on the car with only one good key - Remote chips YES, transponders NO.

Last edited by Partick the Cat; 01-15-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by JCalhoun
Can I program a new key for my 05 Super V8 using the posted procedure on this forum without going to a dealer or not?

I have read conflicting posts and received conflicting info from techs and dealers. I have gotten the new key CUT by a locksmith that had the special TIBBE cutter, but told me that a special Jaguar programming computer was required to make it work with the ignition security system. I was told that there are two separate security systems inside the key, one to start it and a separate one to unlock the doors.

I don't want to just try the programming procedure because I'm afraid I might erase my working (original) key. Is anyone on here really sure about this??

Thanks
Jeff
Wow, thanks to all for taking the time to explain the whole story. My car came with only one of the keys. I bought another new key on Amazon and got it ground for $30. Now it's clear that I need to pony up to a dealer to get it programmed. So far price quotes for programming one key range from $80 to $275. Wish me luck because I have read on here that some aftermarket keys work, and some don't...
Best Regards

Jeff

Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member

Chances are the guy who ground your key can do this for less than the dealer.
Not everyone can cut Jaguar keys, many who do, also have the computer to program your key.
Same thing happened to me, only one key, with no fob.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Careful 'though, you can't programme a key to the car with just the key, you have to have car there too. Each key (transponder) has a unique code number, and it's those numbers (there's a limit to how many - 6 ?) that have to learned by, ie programmed into, the car.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 AM

Maybe it would be cheaper and faster to pay someone to hot wire it for me. ;-)

Old 01-16-2019, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

A locksmith with the ability to program & cut the key for about half the dealer price is what i found.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The last word on key programming...