XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Lumpy braking/steering wheel judder

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 11:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lumpy braking/steering wheel judder

Hi again Jag fans,
Something I've noticed more of late (and didn't spot this when testing the car before buying strangely) is that whenever I brake it is quite lumpy and I get juddery feedback through the steering wheel. When it was in the workshop last I asked the mechanic to check the pads and discs (as he was bleeding brakes anyway as part of major service) and he said all had plenty of life and no warping anywhere.

Anyone any ideas as to why? Must be suspension I guess, bushings perhaps or a leak in air sus? Anyone experienced anything similar?

For ref it's an '04 plate X350 XJR

Thanks in advance

Dan

Old 12-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi,

Had the exact same issue. I started by checking the discs for warping. Everything was fine but i was planning on changing them anyway for an upgrade. Did that but it didnt help with the steering wheel wobbling. Then i checked the supension, turned out i had a bad upper wishbone and one lower and 2 ball joints. Pretty much replaced the whole front end to new cause it was time. The wobbling of the steering wheel got even worse upon braking. It got worse at higher speeds too. Had alloys done, tyres checked etc.. still a massive wobble when braking.
One last thing remained the wheel bearings.
Changed that and no more wobble during breaking !

Unfortunatelly they come as a set of a hub and bearing and are around 380 euro each. I got them at SNG BARRATT and the part number is C2D38988 but that is for my car you should check with your VIN number for the appropriate part.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-01-2017)
Old 12-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Another option

Originally Posted by knight2rider
Hi,

Had the exact same issue. I started by checking the discs for warping. Everything was fine but i was planning on changing them anyway for an upgrade. Did that but it didnt help with the steering wheel wobbling. Then i checked the supension, turned out i had a bad upper wishbone and one lower and 2 ball joints. Pretty much replaced the whole front end to new cause it was time. The wobbling of the steering wheel got even worse upon braking. It got worse at higher speeds too. Had alloys done, tyres checked etc.. still a massive wobble when braking.
One last thing remained the wheel bearings.
Changed that and no more wobble during breaking !

Unfortunatelly they come as a set of a hub and bearing and are around 380 euro each. I got them at SNG BARRATT and the part number is C2D38988 but that is for my car you should check with your VIN number for the appropriate part.
I replaced the hubs due to 105,000 miles. Used Detroit Axle. The hubs, bearings, and ABS sensors were 89.00 shipped. So far so good.
For the braking judder I would check outer tie rod ends and retorque the lug nuts.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (01-01-2017)
Old 12-30-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks chaps - interesting you should note the wheel bearings. I did think this at first but then dismissed it as both times bearings have gone (one on my Kawasaki 1400 which could have been scary! And the other on my golf Gti) you got the trademark drone from the bearing which obviously increased/decreased in pitch with speed. However, I'll check those first then take from there. Thanks so much for your two penny's worth both!

Anyone else had this?

Dan