XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Moisture/Water behind door help!!

Old 04-17-2017, 12:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Moisture/Water behind door help!!

The previous owner of my X358 had a bunch of extra amps installed and all new speakers in the doors. He pulled out the factory speakers in the doors and installed new component systems where behind each lower door speaker there is a component box. Only the front two were working so I began to investigate removing the door trim and then the corresponding bottom speakers. I noticed all of the component boxes and the rear of the speakers by the electrical connections were all rusted. I also had a little bit of water/moisture in each door (it rained inches yesterday here in New Orleans). All the seals look good. Does the rain just drain behind plastic covering between the door and the trim and then out the bottom? The component box was attached to the door with double stick tape but you could tell over the years moisture had gotten to the boxes. I noticed for the OEM speakers the connection is of course in front of the plastic trim so moisture would not get to it.

Has anyone ever pulled out their speakers and noticed some moisture? It is hard for me to believe that all of my seals are gone. Is this just the way the water drains from rain? Sorry for the rambling on, I just never noticed this before.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Received 180 Likes on 101 Posts

Yeah; This can be a problem with dodgy aftermarket stereo installations

You can redo things using a little ingenuity (or find a donor car and go back to stock)

Foam picnic dishes work well to tie back into the (important) plastic vapor barrier. Use 4 mil plastic to repair or replace that. You can put stuff in ziplock bags, but watch that amps are allowed to cool. Contact adhesive (eg weatherstrip adhesive) or caulk to reseal film to door

You'll probably want to clean connections. Suggest you use deox grease on the connectors

I went through this with an EBay S2000 years ago. Death to boom cars...

Hope this helps