XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Wabco compressor woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wabco compressor woes

I've got my compressor out at the mo and have installed bagpipingandys piston seal. I completely removed the resiviour to make the install 'easier' and in doing so have managed to break one of the plastic elbow connectors coming from the piston chamber!

So my question is, has anyone else made the same mistake and did you find anywhere you could purchase just the plastic fittings from? As I'm not having much luck at the moment. There is a couple of shops that stock wabco stuff local to me but they're shut for Easter holidays now and I'm not that hopeful they sell the separate fittings but I will try them once open...

Old 04-16-2017, 11:13 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Hi Untitled,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

The black plastic pipe that broke is the air inlet feed for the compressor, and the white cylinder to which the pipe connects is the air filter.

When I rebuilt the air compressor in our '04 XJR, I tried to find a replacement air filter using the part number molded into the filter body, but I couldn't find a source online. I will be anxious to learn if your local sources can get a new filter and pipe assembly for you.

If you can't get a new assembly, you should be able to repair yours. To remove the broken end of the pipe from the compressor, use a flat-bladed screwdriver to depress the white ring around the fitting and pull up on the broken fitting with something like needle-nose pliers. Pressing the white ring down releases the grip on the fitting.

If I recall correctly, the black plastic pipe is just straight on the end - I don't think it has barbs, so if you could find some pipe of the right diameter, you might be able to fabricate a patch to reconnect to the air filter.

The Jag-Lovers forum's large photos are currently down, but you may be able to see some details in my thumbnails at this link:

Air Suspension Compressor Rebuild - Part 2 of 7

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
paydase (04-19-2017), Untitled (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 12:21 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't had chance to visit the suppliers yet due to working late. I was offered advice from bagpipingandy to use push fit pneumatic connectors, I have ordered a few fittings as they're not very expensive. Also I bought my son some plastic tubes that fit together to build things some years ago and have come across them and they actually make a really good fit I haven't decided my final solution yet but hope to have the car back together at the weekend, thanks for the link, interesting read

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-19-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Glad you have it sorted out.The old one could probably be repaired with J B weld, then drill out any excess after it cures. Great stuff, being careful on the reassembly, and it should work out for a long time.