XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

MP3 Trunk Mounted CD Player - Factory

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MP3 Trunk Mounted CD Player - Factory

Does anyone know the answer to the following question?

What year did Jaguar introduce their CD changer in the trunk that could play MP3's (burnt to CD)....not standard CD audio but hundreds of songs burnt to CD?

I think this along with a T505 bt unit would solve most of the woes we suffer. I would like to be able to burn up a bunch of my library and have it loaded in my trunk. Hours upon hours of music

I know that ford owned jag in 06, and I know my 06 lincoln standard radio was able to play mp3 cd's.

If you have an answer to this question maybe you can point me to the part number I should be searching for to switch out my 04 changer.

Thanks!!

Old 05-11-2013, 02:05 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Brian, from what I've been able to dig up I don't think, despite what Jaguar has stated in printed material; that they ever equipped their cars with native MP3 capable CD players of any type. I believe that they skipped right over them and went straight to iPod type hook-ups and USB ports. In their current models there is no mention of their in-dash CDs playing MP3 or their 10 disc DVD/CD trunk mounted being capable either. The statement is simply that they can play "audio CDs".

In the years that are generally owned by and covered in this forum Jaguar erroneously published manuals that stated they could play MP3s in all their audio systems both std. and premium. That was not the case but the mistake was due to the fact, I believe, that they didn't fully understand the nature of MP3s versus audio CDs which are coded differently. They probably assumed, as did many, that the very act of 'burning' an MP3 to disc automatically made it playable in a normal CD audio capable unit. The truth is different. When you 'burn' to a CD as you might using Windows Media Player/Burner the program CONVERTS the MP3 into a file with a .CDA extension, or CD Audio, which is the pretty much universal CD audio format. If you just COPY an MP3 to a disc it DOES NOT get converted to the CD audio standard and the player can't read it since it sees it as nothing more then a data file. It might start playing but you'll get no sound and it will just repeat the same track over and over.

The other problem with upgrading to a possibly newer unit even if Jaguar had ever offered an MP3 capable one would be having to deal with the almost proprietary implementation of the fiber optic network structure that Jaguar used. It's best to just live with what we have and understand that we're limited to about 20 songs max per CD or do what others have done and install a separate MP3 capable plug-in.