XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

XJR Brembos to 2004 XJ8 How Difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default XJR Brembos to 2004 XJ8 How Difficult?

Hope I didn't screw-up but it's a lazy day at home while I recover from double knee surgery and I was browsing eBay when I stumbled on this ridiculous price (at least I think so) for a full set of used Brembos from a 2003 STR. I snapped them up immediately as they had only been on sale for a very few hours into a 30 day listing and I don't think they would have lasted much longer at the price.

2003 03 Jaguar s Type Brembo Front Rear Caliper at LKQ Motorsports | eBay

Advertised as also fitting both SC XJR and the non-SC XJ8's. I will certainly rebuild them before any installation but that's any easy job regardless of brand name. New pads would also be in order but beyond that I wouldn't think there'd be much to making a swap aside from the obvious labor difficulties for some one who is walking with a cane, when I can walk at all<G>

Anyone else who has done this or attempted it please chime in with observations and suggestions as to what I need to be aware of. I won't tackle it for perhaps 2-3 months so I have plenty of time to prepare. If it turns out to be way more then I want to deal with then I'll post them in the for sale section for anyone who is interested.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:56 PM

Correct me if I go down the wrong road here let me know.

It looks like at the front I'll need to replace the rotors, brake hoses, front hubs, splash shields, steering knuckles. and ????

At the back I'll rotors, parking brake calipers & pads, brake hoses, knuckles, and ????

Does that sound about right?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Sounds to me like you've got most of it. You may need a few hose/cable brackets and misc hardware. You might look into whether the old parking brake actuator has the right throw for the Brembo parking brake caliper. Dont forget that the standard wheels will not clear the larger Brembo calipers.

The following users liked this post:
RDMinor (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Received 308 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Just trade up to a XJR

Originally Posted by oldmots
Sounds to me like you've got most of it. You may need a few hose/cable brackets and misc hardware. You might look into whether the old parking brake actuator has the right throw for the Brembo parking brake caliper. Dont forget that the standard wheels will not clear the larger Brembo calipers.
The cost of the parts and labor and its still an XJ. Take the money + XJ and trade up to a XJR and also get a supercharger! A lot less headache.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM

That's a thought but XJR's are scarce on the ground in the US and they generally run several thousand more then I figure the cost of the upgrade. A supercharger would be nice, but really wasted on my wife's car whereas the improved braking from the upgrade won't be wasted in an emergency. We've already survived one near head-on that totaled her Town & Country and I'd rather she didn't have to experience another. Also, the gas mileage is a consideration as we approach $4.50+ @ gallon for premium.

Now as for me I might just start the process of looking for an XKR in the next few months after I get her XJ8 squared away.<G><G>

Old 03-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just the did upgrade! It's worth the money.

Pretty simple cost about $1200 inc labour.

Break down of cost

Paid $450 for the set of used brembos 4 calipers
And one pair of parking brake calipers, disc and pad

Paid $50 to rear surface rear rotors since they were
Original brembos.

Bought a used set of spindle and knuckle for $240
You can just change the knuckle the spindle/hub is the same. All other components the same

Rears spindle is the same but knuckle needed paid $200

Than I paid $10 to machine down 2 washer to 4mm
As the rear knuckle from a 2004 is 4 mm wider on the
Part that connects to the rear lower arm.

It's clears the vdp super 8 early 18 inch rim
That's on my car

I also paid $3500 to swap a supercharge engine in.

The following users liked this post:
RDMinor (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for it even if you don't want a super charged engine

Over my side there ain't any super 8 for sale money was even

I want a long wheel base I know the road holding ain't
As good but it's squeezy behind for 2 adults on long distance on a swb.

I you need and help let me know.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Default Christmas cam early this year.

First, thanks XJRSS for the offer of help. I may take you up on it when I actually start the work...

I got the Brembo's I had bought on eBay and they are in excellent condition. The big bonus is that all four came from the same car and all have what appear to be extremely low mileage brake calipers that are clean, no brake fluid or other contaminants, and aside from a possibly unnecessary caliper rebuild are good to go. With the close to $100 cost of good brake pads not needed my total price with shipping from Oregon of $400.00 for a 50lbs pkg. is looking better every day<G> I also got new key fob pieces so that I'll end up with two remote keys for a total cost of $80 plus the cost to program one of them. Sure beats the snot out of dealer pricing.

Life is good.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry trying to work out from this do the front caliper just bolt on to the XJ vertical link and just needs different brake shield and brake hose. Looking to do the same as have a set of calipers laying around at home from a broken S type R.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by James Lewis
sorry trying to work out from this do the front caliper just bolt on to the XJ vertical link and just needs different brake shield and brake hose. Looking to do the same as have a set of calipers laying around at home from a broken S type R.
No, they don't. You'll also need to replace both right & left front steering knuckles (the vertical piece you mentioned), the rotors as they are larger, and I think the spindle, although that usually comes along with the spindle. In the rear you'll need the same, but the knuckle is much smaller, along with rotors AND the Brembo parking brake calipers as well. They're really scarce and cost almost as much as the front calipers. Of course there are the misc. pieces such as brake lines, pads, fluid, etc.

I got a bit of luck and found these on eBay for $69.00 @ plus $30.00 in shipping for the pair. $168.00 total when some are selling them at $175.00+ per side is a bargain. The parking brake calipers I've found are running about $400.00 @ pair so I'm being patient. It looks as if there's a possibility that the Viper parking brake rear calipers from the era are the same, so maybe<G>

Attached Images