XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

My analog clock stopped working??!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default (fixed) My analog clock and light stopped working??!!

Just today my analog clock stopped moving. Any idea what the problem is? When I press the + or - buttons it seems like it wants to move, but doesn't.

If there a fuse for this? Also the light on the clock still works.... please help.

Last edited by Hustle Hyde; 07-31-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Top Answer

07-31-2014, 11:07 PM
Hustle Hyde

OK... I fixed both problems. The clock is now working and the bulb to it lights up again!

I appreciate any help I get from this forum so I always trying to give back good advice too so you can troubleshoot your Jaguar issues! So....

First I checked all the fuses and they were all good.

Next I knew I had to take apart the dash to get to the clock. I carefully snapped out the main piece of wood and unscrewed the piece holding the a/c vents with the clock. I didn't have to pull the vents completely out, just enough to disconnect the clock tabs and push it out.

My analog clock stopped working??!!-x1.jpg

Then I took apart the clock. The problem with it was the hands felt stuck. I literally had to wind up the clock with my finger, going counterclockwise... once with the hour hand and once with the minute hand. This loosened it up enough to work again and keep the time!

My analog clock stopped working??!!-x2.jpg

Now it was time to fix the bulb... the original one was fried.

My analog clock stopped working??!!-x3.jpg

I had to peel off the green film from the old bulb to use on the new one.

My analog clock stopped working??!!-x4.jpg

2721MF is the type of bulb you need to fix your clock light! I picked it up at the local auto store. It fits perfectly. Put it all back together and it should be working.

The hardest part of the job was putting the wood panel back on. It was difficult for me to snap on the right side of the panel that is next to the air bag piece. I hit it hard with my palm and it finally snapped on! Try not to break anything, lol. Start with the bottom of the panel and then the top and sides... until everything it sitting flush again. You will need to pull the leather trim surrounding the navigation to slide the wood in place FIRST!

My analog clock stopped working??!!-x5.jpg

Hope this thread helps yall out! I will be happy to answer any questions you may have!

Last edited by Hustle Hyde; 07-31-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

other way round for me.the clock works but the light doesn't. guess everything has an expiry date (ironic for a clock)
no separate fuse for the clock that I know of but they are cheap on ebay uk if second hand (sorry) doesn't worry you.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Somebody is going to say "Did you wind it?"

Oops, did I just say that?

Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 AM

Actually the light on the clock isn't working either... Is there a fuse that controls the clock?

Old 07-31-2014, 11:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I found this site that has the fuse locations and descriptions. It's for a 2005 XJ but the 2007 should be about the same. I did not find one that addresses the analog clock specifically. There were some that were instrument clusters or packs though. You may want to inspect those to see if the fuses are OK.

jaghelp.com: 2005 XJ Fuse location and id

Old 07-31-2014, 02:10 PM

Thanks. I hope it is just a fuse. If not I'm a have to take apart the dash to check the connection for the clock... And that's gonna suck. Smh

Old 07-31-2014, 11:07 PM

OK... I fixed both problems. The clock is now working and the bulb to it lights up again!

I appreciate any help I get from this forum so I always trying to give back good advice too so you can troubleshoot your Jaguar issues! So....

Next I knew I had to take apart the dash to get to the clock. I carefully snapped out the main piece of wood and unscrewed the piece holding the a/c vents with the clock. I didn't have to pull the vents completely out, just enough to disconnect the clock tabs and push it out.

Attachment 92007

Then I took apart the clock. The problem with it was the hands felt stuck. I literally had to wind up the clock with my finger, going counterclockwise... once with the hour hand and once with the minute hand. This loosened it up enough to work again and keep the time!

Attachment 92008

Attachment 92009

Attachment 92010

2721MF is the type of bulb you need to fix your clock light! I picked it up at the local auto store. It fits perfectly. Put it all back together and it should be working.

The hardest part of the job was putting the wood panel back on. It was difficult for me to snap on the right side of the panel that is next to the air bag piece. I hit it hard with my palm and it finally snapped on! Try not to break anything, lol. Start with the bottom of the panel and then the top and sides... until everything it sitting flush again. You will need to pull the leather trim surrounding the navigation to slide the wood in place FIRST!

Attachment 92011

Hope this thread helps yall out! I will be happy to answer any questions you may have!

Last edited by Hustle Hyde; 07-31-2014 at 11:13 PM.
The following 13 users liked this post by Hustle Hyde:
2catlimit (07-02-2016), chillyphilly (06-30-2016), clivedavies (06-26-2016), Don B (07-01-2015), dukeflyer (03-11-2020), Lagonia (06-20-2016), lcmjaguar (08-01-2014), magmedia (12-24-2014), Panthro (11-14-2016), roviw (06-26-2016), Sean W (07-02-2015), trosty (07-02-2016), ulshaferkl (01-02-2024) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wood fascia panel

How did you get the wood fascia panel off without removing the leather around the console? I have all the points loose but it's stuck behind the leather and I don't want to force it to hard. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-02-2015, 02:06 PM

It snaps off. You gotta pull up over the leather part.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:58 PM

Oh and you will have to use some force but it will definitely pop off without removing the leather part. It just seems stuck because it is such a tight fit.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Confused

Originally Posted by Hustle Hyde

Attachment 92007

Attachment 92008

Attachment 92009

Attachment 92010

Attachment 92011

Just want to make sure I understand. You state first you must pull the leather trim around navigation. Then on a later reply you say you don't need to pull the leather trim. Confused.
Thanks!

Old 06-20-2016, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Goatride
Just want to make sure I understand. You state first you must pull the leather trim around navigation. Then on a later reply you say you don't need to pull the leather trim. Confused.
Thanks!
No he doesn't. Read it again.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:25 PM

My first post and I get a troll. Nice.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 740 Likes on 623 Posts

No need for name calling.

It's not the way we do things on this forum...........and you havn't filled in your

signature.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:14 PM

Definitely need to pull the center con

sole leather trim...

Old 06-25-2016, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Goatride
Definitely need to pull the center con
Seems like Hustle Hyde did not pull the center console from
both his description and pictures.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:38 PM
Received 170 Likes on 140 Posts

Very helpful post, the bulb in my clock packed up last week so I will be trying your method to change it, thanks

Old 06-29-2016, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 526 Likes on 371 Posts

You don't need to fully remove the center console. Just nudge it back about an inch or so to give the wood trim some extra clearance. Also, no need need to remove the instrument cluster surround. Just lift the upper right hand tab a bit and slide the air vent unit out after unbolting. No need to even touch the air bag wood cover either.

Last edited by XJ8JR; 06-29-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:52 PM

well to move the center console back an inch you still have to essentially "remove" it as you've completely unmounted it from the vehicle (1" or 1' = same amount of work). also I found theres a lot of forcing required of the center vent side tabs due to the raised cross shaped plastic blocks on them designed to keep them locked in under the gauge shroud and airbag facia, so as it's a handful of screws, I found it easier to just free the gauge cover and airbag panel. I spent some time trying without removing those, and judged it was taking longer than removing 5 screws...
but it all ended up great thanks to the forum - thanks!

Last edited by Goatride; 06-29-2016 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all these solutions are for the three gauge systems clock. My problem concerns the analogue clock displayed on the nav screen which isn't a real clock it's in the nav screen software but looks and operates like an analogue clock.
The problem is the hands have disappeared !! so no time is shown, although all the marker digits (ie the numbers) are still showing.
So has my software suffered a stroke? and some part of the software has given up?
confused. Cottonwood.

Quick Reply: My analog clock stopped working??!!