XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

My turn with P2135 - "engine system fault","dsc not available"," parking brake fault"

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 05:32 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs up My turn with P2135 - "engine system fault","dsc not available"," parking brake fault"

This actually took place several weeks ago, but I wanted to wait until I was satisfied that the solution had worked. After almost 1000 miles (including a 350 mile trip on Saturday) I can conclude that it did.

It was a sunny Sunday afternoon, driving down the highway at 70mph when the dashboard "lit up" and the car dropped to about 55mph. "engine system fault","dsc not available"," parking brake fault" scrolling across the dash.

Exited the highway (into the ghetto of course), limped to a McDonald's parking lot. Watched a drug deal go down in the car next to me...(I digress)

Having read this forum, I was completely aware of what was happening, it's probable causes and possible solutions. My primary concern at that moment was getting out of the ghetto.

Repeated starting and shutting off (and waiting in between) the engine, would not get me out of limp mode. I fired up Torque on my cell phone and used it to clear P2135. Started the car and drove away. Not sure if Torque got me out of limp mode or if it was just a random thing, but it sure looked to me like Torque got me out of limp mode.

This allowed me to get where I was going (15 miles away). It repeated on the drive home - P2135/Limp/Torque/Go - as well as on my way to the repair shop on Monday. In each case as soon as Torque cleared the code I was back on the road.

I hit Batteries Plus on the way to the repair shop to have the battery tested, and it passed the test.

I took it to the local independent and told them I wanted the Throttle Body cleaned. They Charged me $150, it took them over an hour. They charged me an additional $80 to "reprogram" the computer because they had to disconnect the electrical. This sounded bogus to me, but I paid it anyway. I was just under $250 Taxed and out the door.

I have traveled approximately 1000 miles since then without an issue.

A big THANK YOU to this forum and it's members. That Sunday would have been much worse if I was not prepared with the knowledge I learned here.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:47 AM

I think it might be good to add some additional information for those who find this via a search on P2135.

I have gleaned this from searches on this forum. I am only repeating what I have learned here.

P2135 - Possible causes:

Weak battery
Dirty Throttle body /Throttle Position Sensor
Defective Throttle Position sensor

P2135 Possible solutions:

New Battery/Clean battery contacts
Clean throttle body and throttle position sensor contacts
Replace throttle body (because you can not replace just the position sensor)

Torque - $5 Android software that allows you basic access to the car's ODB-II computer interface via a blue tooth device purchased on the internet. This software allows you to monitor the cars basic computer functions and allows for the viewing and clearing of problem codes (check engine light).

I am sure others more knowledgeable then myself will add to or correct what I have posted here.

Last edited by 45Wheelgun; 10-03-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

"Torque" was a huge revelation for me, which I just now learned about due to this post. Talk about "must have"! Know that I will be purchasing the required bluetooth adapter post haste.

Dave, what's been your experience with bells and whistles available in Torque, i.e. performance data, emissions, etc.? Have you been toying around with those features?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:52 PM

There are a bunch of cool features in torque. Most of which I have no idea how to use, but I love to watch. The 0-to-60 and 1/4 mile timers are a blast. Come to a complete stop, wait for the lights to turn green and floor it. Instant feed back on your driving times.

In real life I use the GPS speedometer as my car's reads 1.7 MPH faster then I am really going. How do I know? Torque allows me to compare GPS, and computer reported speed to what the dashboard says. Of course that is three different numbers. Also multiple ways to view MPG. All sorts of pressures, temperatures and other information.

Also, you can have the software upload the data to the web, where you can view it on a map overlay so you can see where you were when various things were happening.

The track plugin will video out the windshield (using your phones camera) as you go around the track, superimposing technical data on top of the video. Very cool.

There is way more information available then I will ever be able to use. You having an XJR might find more relevant data.

To be clear, I don't know for sure that Torque got me back on the road, it could have just been a random thing, but it sure seemed to me that it is what got me going again.

Your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Old 10-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks Dave. You've confirmed my suspicions that I've found my next toy, albeit it a highly useful one.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

How about one for iOS???

Old 10-05-2011, 03:44 PM

There is a ios software, but it isn't torque, and I can't say that it is exactly the same. It is also expensive at $40.

Search ODB on the app store.