XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Mysterious window opening feature

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious window opening feature

Folks, I am new to this forum and have a weird problem that I can't solve. I have a 2006 XJ-8 LWB with 48000 miles. 3 times now, as I was locking the car with the key FOB, for reasons that I can't figure out, I have come back to the car and twice found all the windows down to about 2/3 open and sun roof about the same. All precisely the same. The third time, everything was totally open/down. I can't find anything in the owner's manual but I must be activating some feature that I don't understand on the key FOB???? I am guessing maybe to cool the interior of the car on a hot day as you walk up?? At any rate, it's a problem when I think the car is secure and find it open! Any ideas? I sent a email to Jaguar customer service and basically was told my local dealer was who I needed to contact -- no help. Thanks a lot, love the car!!!
Greg

Old 03-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,265 Likes on 1,422 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Could be a faulty key fob or module in the car. IF you press and hold the unlock button, this is exactly what will happen.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Received 970 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by gwlewis
Folks, I am new to this forum and have a weird problem that I can't solve. I have a 2006 XJ-8 LWB with 48000 miles. 3 times now, as I was locking the car with the key FOB, for reasons that I can't figure out, I have come back to the car and twice found all the windows down to about 2/3 open and sun roof about the same. All precisely the same. The third time, everything was totally open/down. I can't find anything in the owner's manual but I must be activating some feature that I don't understand on the key FOB???? I am guessing maybe to cool the interior of the car on a hot day as you walk up?? At any rate, it's a problem when I think the car is secure and find it open! Any ideas? I sent a email to Jaguar customer service and basically was told my local dealer was who I needed to contact -- no help. Thanks a lot, love the car!!!
Greg
There are a few possibilities for your troubles. One is the unlock button is getting pressed while the key is in your pocket. Most people say that can't be, but believe me, it does happen. The unlock button can become overly touchy also. Stand by the car and lock and unlock the car. See if it is way easier to unlock than to lock.
Next, the linkage in the door can be out of adjustment. Do the same with the key in the door to see if it unlocks too quick. It should take about the same turning angle in each direction to activate.
Lastly, disconnect the battery for a minute or two to fully reset the vehicle electronics. It's possible if the battery got low, or it was jump started, to spike the systems and it then operate erratically.

FYI -- You have Global Close with the Key and fascia switch.
You have Global Open with the Key and Remote Unlock Button

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, many thanks. I switched FOBs and I can now get the windows to open by holding down the unlock feature. Don't understand the global up feature. I'll show my ignorance, what is a "fascia" switch? My FOB has lock, unlock, trunk, and a light button??

Old 03-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Received 970 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by gwlewis
Steve, many thanks. I switched FOBs and I can now get the windows to open by holding down the unlock feature. Don't understand the global up feature. I'll show my ignorance, what is a "fascia" switch? My FOB has lock, unlock, trunk, and a light button??
Silly Brits, after 25 years they rub off on you.

Fascia is Britspeak for dash, meaning dash switch.

If windows are open you can press and hold that switch and the car will lock and all the windows will close. That's Global Close.

Press and hold the Remote Unlock Switch, after two seconds all the windows will lower. That's Global Open.

Cheers,

Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Also note that at least Global Close from the keyfob is a dealer selectable setting (I'm not sure if Global Open is?). My US Spec car will Global Open but will not Global Close from the fob. (Something about not wanting to get people stuck in the windows and subsequent lawsuits)