XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

New to me car, taking long trip. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New to me car, taking long trip. What to do?

'04 VDP with only has 33K on the odo. So it hasn't been driven much. I plan to change everything I can that is rubber (except bushings, I'll have to get to them later) Change oil, brake, coolant and associated filters (fuel too). Check tires for age. Would the trans fluid need to be changed (due to age) at this low mileage? Clean the injectors. The car has been registered every year, spent two years as a corporate (non taxi) car and the CARFAX doesn't reflect any repairs. I know little of the history other than new front brake pads (rotors unknown). Bought from a UC dealer so he knows nothing of the history. What else will I need to do to make it safe for a trip of two 600 mile legs? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sit back, relax, enjoy the ride!

Old 06-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My 06 has ~51K miles, my $.02. Your injectors shouldn't need cleaning unless the car has sat undriven for a long time. Changing rubber stuff may not be necessary, inspect things closely first. Your trans fluid should be fine. Changing the oil & coolant would be a good idea. Not sure about the fuel filter, I'm still on my original with no problems. Tires are critical because they can get dry cracked and a blowout would ruin your day. Check the date stamp on the tires too see how old they are (4 digits, first 2 digits are the week of the year, second two are last 2 digits of the year). If original, change them.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by 06-XJR
My 06 has ~51K miles, my $.02. Your injectors shouldn't need cleaning unless the car has sat undriven for a long time. Changing rubber stuff may not be necessary, inspect things closely first. Your trans fluid should be fine. Changing the oil & coolant would be a good idea. Not sure about the fuel filter, I'm still on my original with no problems. Tires are critical because they can get dry cracked and a blowout would ruin your day. Check the date stamp on the tires too see how old they are (4 digits, first 2 digits are the week of the year, second two are last 2 digits of the year). If original, change them.

My main concerns were the tires, you and I agree on that. The other was the cooling system rubber. I was concerned it may have deteriorated just from age, but if it hasn't seen 70,000 miles worth of heat and pressure, they may be ok. Maybe I'll buy an upper and lower and take them with me...

Old 06-09-2017, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Horst 1956
Sit back, relax, enjoy the ride!

That's the plan! Hope for the best...prepare for the worst.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Muleears
...Maybe I'll buy an upper and lower and take them with me...
If you're going to replace hoses, do them all at the same time because they'll all be in the same condition. I don't know about yours but I have the supercharger and it looks like there are 20 hoses.

Old 06-09-2017, 12:13 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Bring an extra set of keys with you. In the event you lose your keys...you will still be able to make it home.

The following users liked this post:
Muleears (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 786 Likes on 664 Posts

Think that's a little overkill as far as the coolant hoses. Look em over good, probably are fine, my 04 XJ8's still look & feel fine, after 90,000. Better grades of hose are used on a lot of cars anymore. An old trick i found out a long time ago, was fuel hose makes a great coolant hoses. Those factory spring clamps. that never seem to fit replacement cooling system hoses, now seem to work fine. The ones on our Honda cars, are original but a couple, that were rusty from a seepage leak, on bottom hose that leaked just enough to keep it a little wet, but small amount added at oil change, say maybe a quarter inch, more or less. kept the overflow tank to the full mark.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I don't think you need go overboard with replacing stuff. The car should shrug off 600 miles easily. 33k miles means it has been driven enough not to deteriorate, unless it did that mileage in the first three years and has been locked away ever since. Only thing as mentioned before are the tyres, which are probably the originals. Reason I say this is because tyres last a very long time on these cars because the suspension is always in the correct geometry due to the self-levelling air suspension.

My 1977 MG Midget was in a garage for 14 years until 2010, and did very little in the previous 10 years, yet it passed its UK roadworthiness test first time back on the road in 2010 when I bought it off a friend. I replaced all the tyres which were the 1977 originals, (car was on 22k when I bought it).

It would be prudent to do a couple of shakedown runs of reasonable length before you do the Biggie trip. This will usually throw up anything needing doing immediately.

PS: early air suspension compressors were not long lived, so this might be something to start failing fairly soon. You're looking at around £300 for a replacement or you can buy a piston seal kit off a chap on this forum called "Bagpipingandy" if you want to do a DIY job. My compressor failed at about 35k miles but the replacement went on from there, and was still OK when I part-exed the car last year on 115k miles, and six years use.

Last edited by Fraser Mitchell; 06-09-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:38 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default check your rubbers

I took delivery yesterday of a 04 xj8 with 49,000 miles. my wifw drove it today to get registered the and then when in bank parking lot it puked coolant and steamed up . overheat lite on dash and all.

DESPITE the relatively low mileage 49k the car is 14 years old. I think a hose blew which = flat bed home.

i havent seen it yet.

funny thing is she wanted to take it on a multi state trip and i told her i had no confidence in it due to having not driven for a month or so.

guess my suggestion would be to bring some water

Old 06-10-2017, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell

PS: early air suspension compressors were not long lived, so this might be something to start failing fairly soon. You're looking at around £300 for a replacement or you can buy a piston seal kit off a chap on this forum called "Bagpipingandy" if you want to do a DIY job. My compressor failed at about 35k miles but the replacement went on from there, and was still OK when I part-exed the car last year on 115k miles, and six years use.
Andy's kit is already on the way! I'll take it with me, just in case. I found a new one on ebay at a good price, so I snapped it up.

It's also good to know it should handle the miles easily. I know one in good shape should, I just need to check this one out thoroughly.

A "shakedown cruise" of a hundred miles or so is also a good idea. I'll show it off to my son in law, they are 85 miles away.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:10 AM
Default Turns out no long trip any time soon.

I haven't sold my Mercedes yet so I've decided to take it instead. I'd rather the Jag but I found out my son's DOG has to go with us. Uh..NO.. not in my new Jag... May work out to my advantage, the Benz (BlueTEC) gets about 38 on the highway.

Anyway.... I can't wait, the big truck with my Jaguar is supposed to drop it off tomorrow or Monday. I'm sure I'll have questions after I've had some time to go over it. Although I think I've read everything on the internet there is about and X-350.... Thanks to all for the help and suggestions I have gotten so far and will get in the future.