XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

OBDII code P1000 -2004 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

If it sees enough odd values it simply can't flag codes without (say) flagging dozens. It's a computer, it's not psychic.

Almost always you'd know what has occurred recently that might be wrong. And/or have codes and freeze frame data.

The strict advice is not to clear codes except when a repair has been done that is believed will have been the correct repair.

Now, mostly you can get away with code clearing. But not always. And not in every possible weird but unlikely error scenario.

Sometimes bad luck happens. Monitors that won't set are an example.

Maybe find an expert who knows the car kind and knows when monitors get picky.

Obviously it's worth looking at live data very closely in case there's a dubious value, and if you can read things like misfire counts or do cylinder balance (contribution) tests, great. You tend to need an OE tool and knowledge plus experience.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:55 PM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

May be a dumb question...but, if it's running good with no codes, why are you worried? Have you been denied an inspection?

Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Many places require OBD monitors to set (P1000 confirms they haven't).

Old 08-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Many places require OBD monitors to set (P1000 confirms they haven't).
I'm actually thinking of maybe calling the dealer and asking their service department if it will pass with a P1000 rather than a P1111.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

In NC, Cars older than 10 years can have two of the five monitors incomplete and still pass. Newer than that requires that no more than one monitor can be incomplete. I'm sure that varies by state. If I put my generic code reader on it and it says five monitors, one incomplete, it will pass, even though when I check my Jag with Jag software I get P1000. A friend took his car to the dealer for the inspection and they failed him because of the P1000 and wanted $$$ to fix it. He took it up the street to the Exxon station and it passed.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Received 224 Likes on 125 Posts

If you hooked it up to a SDD, would that be able to offer up some more information as to the situation.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:24 PM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by gmcgann
In NC, Cars older than 10 years can have two of the five monitors incomplete and still pass. Newer than that requires that no more than one monitor can be incomplete. I'm sure that varies by state. If I put my generic code reader on it and it says five monitors, one incomplete, it will pass, even though when I check my Jag with Jag software I get P1000. A friend took his car to the dealer for the inspection and they failed him because of the P1000 and wanted $$$ to fix it. He took it up the street to the Exxon station and it passed.

Good point! The upscale readers will tell you which systems are still not completed. You can then run the drive cycle for that specific system.

I'm not sure I follow the "too many codes to read" theory. I have had cars pull up over a dozen codes, and still show tests complete and shift to P1111. But, it is rare to have more than a handful unless you have been driving around for years with the MIL lit up. When I had a tank of bad gas, I would run just the mixture drive cycle, and the MIL would trip with codes as soon as I completed that specific cycle, even though the P1000 was still present.

So, from my experience...the P1000 will go away when ALL the drive cycles are complete, regardless of pass or fail for each system. And the corrollary...codes will still trip and read with the P1000 present.

Some of the drive cycles are VERY complicated, and several cannot be accomplished except from a cold start, making it generally impossible to do them on the same day. I think your spending too much time dwelling on the P1000/1111. If it bothers you, read the systems on a decent reader that are incomplete...reference the list I provided from the service manual, and perform the indicated cycle verbatum. Pass or fail, you will get the P1111, except with a fail you will also get a code and MIL.

Old 09-02-2014, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slmskrs
Mine reads pending codes as well, and there is NOTHING. That's what's so frustrating. Either give me an error or something pending, or finish the cycle and change to P1000. I've never seen P1000 stay so long after resetting. And I don't know which of the drive cycles might be associated with this (vacuum). I may end up taking it into an independent and see what he can find. But if anyone has any suggetions on what drive cycle I should do after pulling the intake manifold, let me know...
Any updates on this?

Old 09-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Update: I passed California Smog today!!

Today I was at a smog station getting my other car checked. I asked them about P1000. He thought it might not be a problem and offered to put his reader on it before doing a smog check to let me know what he thought. I ran home, switched cars, took the X350 back. He saw the P1000 but he thought it would pass anyway. So I gambled and had him go ahead. And it passed with no problems. He also showed everything good/completed except that P1000.

So, if you have P1000 and no other error code, you can pass smog check in California!

By the way, I hadn't noticed when I had it smogged the previous time, but unlike my older Ford Expedition that had the sensor up the tail pipe and was run on a dynometer, all of the checks were done via the ODB and no tail pipe sensor. Everything was self-contained in the car. Easier/faster/cheaper than the Expedition smog check.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member

It's because P1000 is a pending code. Pending codes should not count (they're fairly common in normal driving with many if not all cars). They do not put the MIL on. Only a (full i.e. non-pending) code is allowed by law to do that.

If the issues that caused a pending code don't recur then the code is auto-cleared (but not a P1000 or P1111 on a jag).

However, P1000 means at least one OBD monitors has not set (aka completed). and many countries/states want all or most of them to be set.

If you still have P1000 then something's not quite right...

Old 11-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cjd
Yes, quit clearing the codes! The P1111 is what the car should always read. All you are doing is resetting the self test.

I have reset a P1000 back to a P1111 in as little as 15 miles, but that is not easy. The service manual provides a list of parameters that have to be met for each individual emissions test to trigger. You have to drive exact speeds, for exact accel rates, and both cold and hot engine temps to fulfill the parameters. Some have to be repeated.

So, people and even inspectors will frequently say to drive it for 40 miles, or 3 days, or "300" miles, or something like that. If you do, you will meet the test parameters and trigger the P1111, "all tests pass" code. But, in a bind and with the manual in hand, you can pass the tests in about 15 miles and about an hour.

I am attempting to copy and paste the drive cycle list here...it may or may not work

OBD MONITOR OPERATION

Some OBD monitors are continuous, that is, they operate all the time the ignition is on.

Some OBD monitors have conditions that must be satisfied before the monitor is allowed to operate, for example:

engine speed 1000 – 4000 rpm; engine airflow 10 – 100 g/sec; intake air temperature -10

°C – +50°C. These

conditions ensure the vehicle is operating in such a manner that the failure may be correctly diagnosed. If the

conditions are not met, it may be possible for a failure to be present on the vehicle but remain undetected by the

module.

Most OBD monitors use 2-trip detection: on the first occasion the failure is detected, a pending DTC is recorded. If

on the subsequent drive cycle, the failure is again detected, then a confirmed DTC is logged and the MIL may be

illuminated.

A few OBD monitors operate on a single trip basis where the MIL is illuminated as soon as the failure is

diagnosed.

Detection of a failure may inhibit the operation of other OBD monitors to ensure that multiple DTCs are not logged

due to a single fault being present.

Note

: The system is not infallible and a single fault may result in two or more failures being detected and hence

the recording of two or more DTCs.

CYLINDER NUMBERING

V8 up to 2002.5 MY V8 2002.5 MY onwards

Front of engine Front of engine

V6

S-TYPE up to 2002.5 MY

V6

X-TYPE 2001.5 MY onwards

S-TYPE 2002.5 MY onwards

XJ 2003.5 MY onwards

1 4

5 6

Front of engine Front of engine

JTP 10371

OBD SYSTEM READINESS – ENGINE MANAGEMENT

If DTC P1000 is flagged after DTCs have been cleared, all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive

cycles HAVE NOT BEEN COMPLETED.

If DTC P1111 is flagged after DTCs have been cleared, all engine management OBD diagnostic monitor drive

cycles HAVE BEEN COMPLETED.

OBD SYSTEM READINESS – TRANSMISSION

Use WDS Datalogger “TOTAL NUMBER OF DTC SET” to determine if transmission OBD monitoring has been

completed. Refer to page 7.

OBD “TRIPS”

The OBD system defines 1 TRIP as an ignition cycle (ignition key OFF; wait 30 seconds; ignition key ON) plus a

minimum engine coolant temperature increase of 22 °C (40 °F) after which, the engine coolant temperature has to

reach a minimum of 71°C (160 °F).

OBD DIAGNOSTIC MONITORS

During vehicle operation, the on-board diagnostic (OBD) facilities of the Engine Control Module (ECM) and

Transmission Control Module (TCM), continuously check the Engine Management and Transmission Control

systems. The Powertrain OBD incorporates several diagnostic monitors; each monitor has an associated group of

DTCs. The diagnostic monitors will complete the diagnostic test(s) if a specified service “drive cycle” is carried

out.

The diagnostic monitors are:

– Heated Oxygen Sensors Monitor

– Adaptive Fuel Monitor

– Misfire Monitor

– Catalyst Efficiency Monitor

– Evaporative System Monitor

– Exhaust Gas Recirculation Monitor (not applicable for X400)

– Comprehensive Component Monitor (Engine Management / Transmission)

DIAGNOSTIC MONITORS DRIVE CYCLES

Technicians can ensure that an OBD Monitor drive cycle is completed and that all or specific components have

been checked by completing a specified drive cycle. Use the following service drive cycles to confirm that the

components and subsystems covered by the Diagnostic Monitors are operating correctly.

HEATED OXYGEN SENSORS MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE

Upstream (Universal) oxygen sensors:

1. Engine OFF; cooling fans inoperative > 20 seconds.

2. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).

3. Drive the vehicle between 3000 – 4000 rpm in 3rd gear at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator

and coast to a stop within 30 seconds. Do not touch accelerator pedal for 4 seconds after coming to a stop.

4. Repeat step 3.

5. Idle engine for 11 minutes.

Downstream oxygen sensors:

1. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).

2. Drive the vehicle steadily between 48 – 97 km/h (30 – 60 mph) for 10 minutes.

3. Drive the vehicle above 3000 rpm in 3rd gear at a steady speed. Lift foot completely off accelerator and coast

for 30 seconds.

Oxygen sensor heaters:

2. Idle engine for 3 minutes.

JTP 10371

ADAPTIVE FUEL MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE

2. Idle for a minimum of 10 minutes.

MISFIRE MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE

1. Record flagged DTC (s) and accompanying WDS DTC Monitor freeze frame(s) data.

2. Fuel level > 25%.

3. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 82 °C (180 °F).

4. Drive vehicle to the recorded freeze frame conditions (from step 1).

5. Repeat several times.

Notes regarding misfire monitor DTCs:

If on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause excess exhaust emission, the individual cylinder

DTC plus DTC P1316 will be logged. The CHECK ENGINE MIL will not be activated. If the fault reoccurs

on the second trip, the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1316 will be flagged, and the CHECK

ENGINE MIL will be activated.

If on the first trip, the misfire is severe enough to cause catalyst damage (more severe than excess

exhaust emission), the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the fault is present and the individual

cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1), DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be logged. When the fault is no longer

present the MIL will be deactivated.

If the fault reoccurs on the second trip, the CHECK ENGINE MIL will flash while the fault is present and

the individual cylinder DTC plus DTC P1313 (bank 1), DTC P1314 (bank 2) will be flagged. When the

fault is no longer present the CHECK ENGINE MIL will be activated.

CATALYST EFFICIENCY MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE

1. Start engine and bring to normal operating temperature > 75 °C (167 °F).

2. With the gear selector in Park or Neutral, hold the engine speed at 2500 rpm for 5 minutes.

3. Drive vehicle ensuring that vehicle speed exceeds 15 km/h (10 mph) and the engine speed exceeds 1500

rpm.

Stop the vehicle and check for any temporary DTCs using WDS.

EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE

1. Ensure that fuel filler cap is fully closed (minimum three clicks).

2. Fuel level > 30% and < 85%.

3. Using WDS, perform ECM DTC Clear (even if no DTCs are flagged).

4. Drive vehicle for a minimum of 2 minutes, and until engine is at normal operating temperature.

5. Using WDS, ensure that the EVAP Canister Purge Valve is operating by observing “PURGE VAPOR

MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE”. If the valve is not active, ECM adaptions have not been learned.

Conduct a “green ECM” Drive Cycle as described in Technical Service Bulletin.

6. Drive vehicle to the road where the EVAP System Drive Cycle will be conducted. Stop vehicle and switch

OFF the ignition. Leave ignition OFF for 30 seconds, and then restart the engine.

7. Accelerate briskly to 80 km/h (50 mph) ensuring that the engine speed reaches a minimum of 3500 rpm for a

minimum of 5 seconds.

8. (0.040-inch EVAP Test) View WDS “PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE”, “CANISTER

CLOSE VALVE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM”, and FUEL TANK PRESSURE – VAPOR RECOVERY

SYSTEM”. Avoiding high engine loads, drive the vehicle steadily between 65 km/h (40 mph) and 100 km/h

(60 mph). Avoid driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. WDS should give an indication

that the test is active (it may take up to 30 minutes before the test will initialize). When the test has initialized

(EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90 seconds for the test to complete.

9. (0.020-inch EVAP Test) Continue driving vehicle as explained in Step 8 for an additional 10 minutes.

JTP 10371

10. Gently coast the vehicle to a stop. Allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes and view WDS “PURGE VAPOR

MANAGEMENT VALVE – DUTY CYCLE”, “CANISTER CLOSE VALVE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM”,

and FUEL TANK PRESSURE – VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM”. WDS should give an indication that the test

is active. When the test has initialized (EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90

seconds for the test to complete.

11. If the 0.020-inch EVAP Test is not activated, the purge system vapor concentration may be too great. To

reduce the vapor concentration proceed as follows:

12. Drive the vehicle for an additional 30 minutes avoiding driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel

movement. Repeat Step 10. If the 0.020-inch EVAP Test is still not activated, repeat the Drive Cycle from

Step 6.

13. Using WDS, check for and clear flagged DTCs.

EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE (not applicable to X400)

2. Drive the vehicle in 3rd gear at 2500 rpm. Maintain a steady speed for 1 minute; lift foot completely off

accelerator and coast for a minimum of 10 seconds.

COMPREHENSIVE COMPONENT MONITOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT DRIVE CYCLE

To avoid unnecessary complexity, a single comprehensive engine management drive cycle has not developed for

X-TYPE. Refer to the individual DTC for specific drive cycle / monitoring conditions.

COMPREHENSIVE COMPONENT MONITOR TRANSMISSION DRIVE CYCLE

The Comprehensive Component Monitor transmission drive cycle will “check” all transmission system

components:

1. Engine and transmission at normal operating temperature. Ignition OFF; ensure that SPORT mode is NOT

selected.

2. With gear selector in P and the ignition ON. Check gearshift interlock by attempting to move selector without

pressing the brake pedal. Verify P state illumination.

3. Press and hold the brake pedal. Move the gear selector to R. Verify R state illumination.

4. Set the parking brake. Press and hold the brake pedal. Attempt to start the engine. The engine should not

start.

5. Move the gear selector to N. Verify N state illumination. Start the engine.

6. With the hand brake set and the brake pedal pressed, move the gear selector to the remaining positions in

the J-Gate (D, 4, 3, 2) for five (5) seconds each. Verify the state illumination in each position.

7. Move the gear selector back to 4. Verify 4 state illumination.

8. Move the gear selector to D. Verify D state illumination.

9. Move the gear selector to N. Verify N state illumination.

10. Select R, release the brakes and drive the vehicle in Reverse for a short distance.

11. Stop the vehicle.

12. Select 2 and drive the vehicle up to 65 km/h (40 mph). Hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5)

seconds.

13. Select 3 and hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.

14. Select 4 and hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.

15. Select D and accelerate to a minimum speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). Hold 80 – 129 km/h (50 – 80 mph) for a

minimum of 1.7 kilometers (1 mile).

16. Stop the vehicle; do not switch OFF the engine.

17. Use WDS Datalogger

I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it. I replaced my upstream o2 sensor and the P1000 would not reset. Followed these instructions and in 30 minutes was all set. Great info. Thanks

Old 03-30-2015, 03:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slmskrs
Update: I passed California Smog today!!

Today I was at a smog station getting my other car checked. I asked them about P1000. He thought it might not be a problem and offered to put his reader on it before doing a smog check to let me know what he thought. I ran home, switched cars, took the X350 back. He saw the P1000 but he thought it would pass anyway. So I gambled and had him go ahead. And it passed with no problems. He also showed everything good/completed except that P1000.

So, if you have P1000 and no other error code, you can pass smog check in California!

By the way, I hadn't noticed when I had it smogged the previous time, but unlike my older Ford Expedition that had the sensor up the tail pipe and was run on a dynometer, all of the checks were done via the ODB and no tail pipe sensor. Everything was self-contained in the car. Easier/faster/cheaper than the Expedition smog check.
Hi,

Which station did you go? I am having same issue with P1000 and can't get car smogged.

Really need help.

Old 03-30-2015, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member

P1000 is not an error code. It's a status code. It's also a pending rather than full code.

It just means one or more OBD monitors has not run to completion (aka have "set"). Now, many states are happy for one or two to be like that. They don't care about P1000 because it's a pending code.

When (if, for some unhappy cars) they all run OK, P1000 turns to P1111, again a pending status code not error code.

You get to look up your own state's laws if you want to know how many unset OBD monitors they'll accept.

(Very different here in UK, don't ask!)

Old 03-30-2015, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Actually, P1000 is the code that indicates that the "OBD readiness check" has not completed. That refers to the "OBD self check" diagnostics that check various parameters to see that they are both "in tolerance" and reasonable. That take completion of a "OBD Readiness Drive Cycle". A pending code or an actual code will prevent completion of a Drive Cycle, since that indicates something is wrong, but I do believe a pending code will turn on P1000. References?

None of this is Jag specific, so just Google it for more information.

And, as to whether a specific state's inspection will pass without Readiness, I have no idea, but it would be hard to believe California would let that one by.

Resetting an OBD code will require a Drive Cycle. I would sure expect that a P1000 would lead to another code in a few hundred miles or sooner. Are you guys saying that you have a P1000, have not done a reset, and still have the P1000 many miles later?

Old 03-30-2015, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Actually, P1000 is the code that indicates that the "OBD readiness check" has not completed. That refers to the "OBD self check" diagnostics that check various parameters to see that they are both "in tolerance" and reasonable. That take completion of a "OBD Readiness Drive Cycle". A pending code or an actual code will prevent completion of a Drive Cycle, since that indicates something is wrong, but I do believe a pending code will turn on P1000. References?

None of this is Jag specific, so just Google it for more information.

And, as to whether a specific state's inspection will pass without Readiness, I have no idea, but it would be hard to believe California would let that one by.

Resetting an OBD code will require a Drive Cycle. I would sure expect that a P1000 would lead to another code in a few hundred miles or sooner. Are you guys saying that you have a P1000, have not done a reset, and still have the P1000 many miles later?
Three tanks- about 1000 miles. Still can't get evap test.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by krispykreme
Three tanks- about 1000 miles. Still can't get evap test.
I was able to get CA smog done today with P1000.

From my scanner it showed evap and cmm test not complete.

But when I went to smog (less than 2 min drive at 10 mph). The Smog tester was able to read my OBD-II and showed all test was indeed completed.

Not sure why it's still shows P1000. But car is now registered in CA.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:04 AM
Veteran Member

P1000 is jag-specific. Some other auto makers (e.g. Ford) have a similar meaning.

P1000 does not mean there is another code waiting to flag. It can be present in that situation but that would be coincidence.

Its meaning is NOT standard OBD II. (Being P1 it is by definition make-specific.)

Old 03-31-2015, 09:36 AM
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

The p1000 rediness check code will change to p1111 when the code has checked the system....no worries the p1000 is not a fault issue.I always suggest to owners who wish to be DIY'ERS to buy a scanner with live data or at least actuation. Lots of times of you have the capacity it will save you lots of headaches, ex. the dsc unit has a pump,and module.The pump has the 4 metal lines that transfers fluid,this pump block has the module attached to it and the harness plugs into the module. If you have a scanner with live data you can just look at the four abs wheel speed sensor signals,by leaving the scanner plugged in the car and watch live data. If the sensors are good, then you would actuate the pump,if the pump actuates , then the culprit would most like be the abs module..Check all fuses....etc... until next time happy wrenching...

Last edited by 912guy; 03-31-2015 at 09:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lcmjaguar (03-31-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 08:00 AM
Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Looking for guidance on ABS diagnostics. I have a random ABS failure and it doesn't stay on all the time. Tips on how to diagnose? I have cleaned the wheel sensors as a first step

RyeJag

Old 04-02-2015, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Read codes in the ABS module. Specialist tool, like Mongoose or Mangoose, or jag indy/dealer

Quick Reply: OBDII code P1000 -2004 XJ8