XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

One beep when put in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:21 PM
Received 8,266 Likes on 4,985 Posts

Did you RE-install the original and try to scan for DTCs????
Maybe the original is OK and the problem is with another component???

bob

Old 07-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 767 Likes on 641 Posts

In my experience and from reading this forum (for years) it's almost allways

sensors and they do funny things when they are on the way out.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer from Boston
Well, my situation is curiouser and curiouser.
I bought another Park Assist model on eBay, and installed it. Same fault signal, no difference.
Then I also bought an iCarsoft I930 advanced scanner, model specific to Jaguar and LandRover. Has option to look at Parking Assist. Tried that this morning.

The message I got was, "Fault in communication with vehicle ECU" Tried to delete fault. Wouldn't/couldn't do it.

So I wonder, now what? Buy another park assist module on the theory that the first replacement was bad? (they go for fairly cheap $$ on eBay) Throw myself on the tender mercies of the Jaguar dealer? Forget about it and just live with the disabled backup warning?

Frustrating !
I'd try your original module again and see what the i930 says. Mine told me which rear sensor was not communicating. You can also use a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver to your ear to listen for a clicking at each rear sensor with the car in reverse. The 3 second beep in reverse indicates the system is not working and most likely it is one sensor as the cause. A bad or disconnected sensor won't click - a good one will.

Last edited by philwarner; 07-06-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

I have now swapped in two other modules, besides the original one. In every case, I get the "long beep." In every case, the ICarsoft I930 says "Fault in communication with vehicle ECU." When I plug in the ICarsoft I930, it boots up and interrogates all the other modules, which say "100%." It does not return a value for the parking aid module. So I conclude that the fault must be in the wiring or a connector.

Old 07-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Are you discounting a bad sensor?

Old 07-09-2017, 09:28 PM

Well, people here are saying that when the module is working but the sensors aren't, they either get a code or they can detect the sensors buzzing. I get none of that.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member

I could not see any DTC with my JLR SDD nor could I hear or feel any clicking on the sensors.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Jack - But did you get the "communication fault" message?

Old 07-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

No I did not.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:30 PM

Jack -
I think you were right. Based on the enigmatic "Fault in communication with vehicle ECU" message from my recently-purchased iCarSoft I930, I figured that there was an open or a short in the wiring someplace.
However, I was subsequently at the dealer on another matter, and asked them about the Parking Aid problem. They hooked up the full DTC system and -- lo and behold -- they came back with code C1701 (rear left corner sensor fault) and code C1700 (rear left corner sensor - circuit failure).
Grrrr !!!! So, even though I had only recently bought the I930, I logged onto ICarSoft and did a software update. And ..... now when I plug in the I930, I get the C1700 and C1701 codes....
So evidently "all I have to do" is swap out that sensor and/or look at the wiring there.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member

Jack -
I think you were right. Based on the enigmatic "Fault in communication with vehicle ECU" message from my recently-purchased iCarSoft I930, I figured that there was an open or a short in the wiring someplace.
However, I was subsequently at the dealer on another matter, and asked them about the Parking Aid problem. They hooked up the full DTC system and -- lo and behold -- they came back with code C1701 (rear left corner sensor fault) and code C1700 (rear left corner sensor - circuit failure).
Grrrr !!!! So, even though I had only recently bought the I930, I logged onto ICarSoft and did a software update. And ..... now when I plug in the I930, I get the C1700 and C1701 codes....
So evidently "all I have to do" is swap out that sensor and/or look at the wiring there.
That is good news.

It could be the connector I suppose. Mine were really tight and a little difficult to get off.

Finding a wiring fault is a heck of a lot more difficult I think.

Last edited by jackra_1; 07-15-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

Jack -
that is a common fault with some icarsoft 1930's !

or maybe you tried to do a manual scan, it wont work . has to be an automatic scan of all modules at once .

my STR done the long beep yesterday for the first time ever .
i plugged in my i930 ,choose diagnose , then jaguar , then car model , then year . then done an automatic scan then checked the parking aid module . and hay presto a code , C1701 rear left outer parking sensor fault .
awesome ,

Old 07-17-2017, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

Now the fun part!

Old 08-29-2020, 03:10 PM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

Time to resurrect an old thread. I had recently been getting a long beep when I put my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L in reverse, and it turned out to be a simple loose connection with the passenger back up light bulb. A little solder on the bulb tip cured the problem.

Old 08-30-2020, 11:29 AM

Rickkk -
How did you figure out that your problem was with the bulb ?
In regard to my previous postings re this problem, I decided it was not worth the hassle of dropping the rear bumper and swapping out the sensors. I just have been living with the beep. However, I have noticed that on really hot days the one-beep warning does not happen; only on cooler days.

Old 08-30-2020, 02:22 PM

It was very simple actually. With the ignition key turned to the 'On' position, and with the transmission set in 'Reverse', it was plain to see that the passenger side back up light bulb was not lit up. As soon as I touched the light fixture, the bulb turned back on. After that, it was just a matter of applying a little dab of solder onto the light bulb tip so as to make a better connection. I have never experienced any problems since then.

Old 08-30-2020, 04:19 PM
Received 184 Likes on 103 Posts

Whew! May I just observe that y'all have the patience of Moses?

Best solution to all these beeper problems is right there in the overhead console - the "off switch"
One little press as part of your daily start up routine, and you'll no longer have jarring random beeps in traffic, in rainstorms, under bridges, in parking lots, etc.
Anyone know of a permanent beeper off switch?

Old 10-08-2020, 10:48 AM

Update: Unfortunately, the long beep reoccurred in my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L a few weeks ago so I opted to order a used (advertised as working) Jaguar 2W93-15K866-AC parking assist module on eBay. After I installed the module yesterday, the parking assist was working fine, and with no long beep when the car was put in reverse. Actually, I might not know if this cured the problem until perhaps the end of the month as the problem would either surface constantly or intermittently.

By the way, it may have helped if one of the previous posters would have mentioned how to remove that electrical plug from the module as I must have spent nearly an hour trying to figure the darn thing out. For the benefit of those who haven't changed the parking assist module: 1. Use a 10mm socket to unfasten the two nuts securing the module onto the frame. 2. While pressing the tab which is located on the bottom (facing towards the ground) of the electrical plug, swing the swivel towards the front of the car 3. Change the module 4. Reinstall plug in reverse order 5. Mount the new parking assist module (be sure the lug ring for the wiring harness is placed over the rear bolt first). 6. Be sure that the grounding wire is routed in front of the module, and not behind it.

I'll provide a future update in a few weeks as to the status of the problem, but I would give the repair a better than even chance.

Last edited by Rickkk; 10-08-2020 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rickkk
Update: Unfortunately, the long beep reoccurred in my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L a few weeks ago so I opted to order a used (advertised as working) Jaguar 2W93-15K866-AC parking assist module on eBay. After I installed the module yesterday, the parking assist was working fine, and with no long beep when the car was put in reverse. Actually, I might not know if this cured the problem until perhaps the end of the month as the problem would either surface constantly or intermittently.

By the way, it may have helped if one of the previous posters would have mentioned how to remove that electrical plug from the module as I must have spent nearly an hour trying to figure the darn thing out. For the benefit of those who haven't changed the parking assist module: 1. Use a 10mm socket to unfasten the two nuts securing the module onto the frame. 2. While pressing the tab which is located on the bottom (facing towards the ground) of the electrical plug, swing the swivel towards the front of the car 3. Change the module 4. Reinstall plug in reverse order 5. Mount the new parking assist module (be sure the lug ring for the wiring harness is placed over the rear bolt first). 6. Be sure that the grounding wire is routed in front of the module, and not behind it.

I'll provide a future update in a few weeks as to the status of the problem, but I would give the repair a better than even chance.
Good luck.

Btw I had no problem at all taking the module out when I tried swapping it.

It made no difference as it was a sensor in the front bumper wich is easier to remove than the rear at least.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:24 PM

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-assist-66804/

Well I unfortunately still got the beep sometimes after I replaced the parking assist module. Coincidentally, I haven't seen one forum member yet who had actually removed the back bumper in order to replace those sensors. Actually, I'm not sure what else would be securing the back bumper besides the six bolts on the bottom, but I'm not going to be the one to find out. Even then, it's even open to question if there's enough slack in the wiring to allow ample access to those sensors. Even if there was, I'm sure that one would have to improvise some platform to support the cumbersome bumper so as to avoid snapping the wiring harnesses in there. As if that wasn't enough, one would likely have to wrestle with disconnecting the sensors from their holders., and all the while keep that rear bumper steady. Even worse, there is the distinct possibility that those holders would all be tarnished and rusted from all of the rain and snow that happened to collect in there.

Regarding the above link, one Jaguar forum member mentioned disconnecting the harness to the parking assist module, and then do a hard reboot. Supposedly, the computer would simply ignore the parking assist module much as it would ignore the disconnected suspension module during the coil/spring conversion. You know, I think that might be the way to go (if it works) as I really don't see any good alternative at this point.

Last edited by Rickkk; 10-12-2020 at 04:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Colm O (11-20-2020)

Quick Reply: One beep when put in reverse