XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Parking Brake Locked up

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Parking Brake Locked up

2007 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas

I recently moved from California to Washington State. When the enclosed auto transport arrived at my home to pick up the Jag I started it and put it into reverse only to find the parking brake was on. I played with the parking brake release and could not get the brake to release. I turned the car off and then on again. Same thing. The car evidently did not want to move to rainy Washington State. I didn't know what to do so I put it into reverse and accelerated until the brake let loose and the car moved in reverse.

When I picked the car up in Washington the battery was dead. I got it started but found there is a message on the screen that says "Cannot Apply Hand Brake. Also, the amber warning light above the message is lit and when you move forward the audible warning beeps continuously.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem. Did I totally screw up the Parking Brake when I forced the car to go in reverse when the brake would not release on its own? I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:26 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Recalibrate E-brake procedure.

I think this is the workaround when you dont have a Mongoose cable and Jaguar SDD diag software. Disconnect the battery for a while, then touch the positive and negative cables together for a few seconds (with neither touching battery terminals obviously) This will clear memory on most systems so you may lose radio presets, window anti-pinch (reset instructions in Owners Guide, but essentially its just open winows and continue to hold button for a few seconds when fully open. Do the same with closing the winows, just hold the switch for a few seconds after the widow is closed. Hopefully you wont get another handbrake failure message and intead get one that says: "Step on foot brake, and set hand brake" This is the re-calibrate procedure for the e-brake. If you get a message similar to this, just press the foot brake 5 times, then press the e-brake handle and hopefully you will resolve your issue. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
danveenstra (12-06-2014)
Old 12-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hi there, sorry to hear of your issues....

I also had a problem some time ago with mine, all was ok but when wet I got issues. The reason I mention is your move from California to "rainy Washington state"

See below excerpt from my post and the thread in full

"Well car checked today re "Parkbrake fault" and guess what??
The wiring is chafing as suspected.............it seems to be in line with the issue being more prevalent when its wet.

Dougie, did a temporary repair by splicing the wire and covering with insulation tape then cleared the codes, all seems well for now.....
May be a a new motor / wiring loom but further checks necessary and looks like the warranty may cough up

Had new wipers fitted and also asked Dougie to check price to supply & fit o/s/f door seal ( awaiting prices )
All good so far........Thanks Prestige Jaguar "

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fault-115029/

This may, or may not be related but could be a cheap and easy fix, something to consider looking into perhaps

Good luck

danveenstra (12-06-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 11:47 AM

Blairware, Well, I tried that and it didn't solve the problem. Any other thoughts? I do have it scheduled to go to the local indy this next Tuesday.

However, thanks for the info anyway.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Received 150 Likes on 95 Posts

Sorry, that's all I can think of. If you are still getting an error message even after battery re-connection, I imagine it either needs to be accessed via SDD or it's a mechanical / electronic issue and will require something beyond recalibration. Sorry to hear of your trouble, and I hope you get it squared away without too much expense. It would be great if you circled back afterwards for the outcome. Too meany threads go abandoned with no resolution it seems. Good luck with this.

danveenstra (12-10-2014)
Old 12-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 767 Likes on 641 Posts

I suspect that either the motor or the actuator has failed but before you put

it into reverse to free it.

The PB is located above the rear axle and not easy to reach but the good

news is that you may be able to get an used one on ebay.

This one appears to be in very good condition-usually they are quite

corroded on the outside because they are exposed to the road.

2004 2007 Jaguar XJ8 L Emergency Parking Brake Motor Actuator B05098094908 | eBay

danveenstra (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 06:32 PM

Thanks to you all. I don't know what caused the parking brake to lock up but I took it to a local shop that works on foreign cars and they reprogramed it and it works fine now. Once again, what happened is when I tried driving in reverse from my garage in California the parking brake was locked up and I could not go in reverse. Since I have a vehicle transport company waiting for the car I just put it in reverse and stepped on the gas until it broke loose and went in reverse. We got it loaded on the carrier just fine. When I picked it up in Washington I had a notice on the screen that said the parking brake would not operate. Also, the brake actually would not engage with the lever. Also, in reverse or forward gear the amber light on the dash was on and the warning would sound. I'm not happy to know it might lock up again for no reason. Kind of one of those things we deal with owning used Jaguars.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine did the same thing 40 miles from home one day. Talked with the jag dealership for 2 hrs with no luck. I had to get home so i pulled the wheel and chopped the cable with bolt cutters. I havent missed it. The Parkbrake Fault light is getting annoying though after 6 mnths lol

Old 03-19-2015, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I had something similar happen to me when I first got my XJ8L. I pulled up on the e-brake handle and then pushed down on it a couple of times. That freed up the parking brake.