XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Pause between stopping and starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:35 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Pause between stopping and starting

In my new-to-me '04 VDP I have noticed that when stopping, as if for a quick stop for a stop sign, and immediately going back to the gas pedal, there is a slight pause before the transmission engages. Not a long one, no more than a second, if that, but its there. In the old days (I'm old) I would think I'm either waiting for it to shift back down to first or the fluid is low. My car is low mileage but 13 years old and has never had the fluid changed, to my knowledge. I think I should go ahead and do a fluid change, certainly won't hurt anything. What do you all think? Have I a problem or is this a common trait to the ZF?

Old 06-22-2017, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 281 Posts

Pretty sure these don't drop down to 1st until you're at a dead stop, else it forces a 2-1 shift when you press the gas (hence your delay). At least mine acts that way. If I roll down to 1-2 mph and press the gas again there's a minor delay while it shifts back to 1st gear.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:28 AM

That sounds like what mine does, it seems to be more pronounced when cold too. I guess because the fluid hasn't expanded yet, so the level is a little lower.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

On my Super V8, the gearbox always shifts to 1 when the speed decreases to a few mph, even if not stopping completely. Cold or not.
Il is barely noticeable, at first I thought it was an issue of warped brakes that induced this slight "braking", then I realised it was the gear shifting.
On the other hand, when accelerating, the gearbox shifts from 1 to 2 quite early unless I floor the pedal. Maybe the memory of my usually cool driving stored in the TCM.
And I don't think it's due to a bad oil level in the gearbox, the gearbox works very smoothly and the oil was changed only 2 years ago.

Old 06-22-2017, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by paydase
On my Super V8, the gearbox always shifts to 1 when the speed decreases to a few mph, even if not stopping completely. Cold or not.
Il is barely noticeable, at first I thought it was an issue of warped brakes that induced this slight "braking", then I realised it was the gear shifting.
On the other hand, when accelerating, the gearbox shifts from 1 to 2 quite early unless I floor the pedal. Maybe the memory of my usually cool driving stored in the TCM.
And I don't think it's due to a bad oil level in the gearbox, the gearbox works very smoothly and the oil was changed only 2 years ago.

Thanks paydase, I guess what mine is doing is nothing to worry about for the time being anyway. I guess it's just a quirk of the ZF.

Thanks to everybody for the help and reassurances, ride safe!

Old 06-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Muleears
Thanks paydase, I guess what mine is doing is nothing to worry about for the time being anyway. I guess it's just a quirk of the ZF.

Thanks to everybody for the help and reassurances, ride safe!

May be a quirk but changing the fluid solved it for me. Change the fluid. What you're experiencing isn't normal.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (06-26-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sean W
May be a quirk but changing the fluid solved it for me. Change the fluid. What you're experiencing isn't normal.
Will do Sean, I have all the stuff I need lined up. I have CTSC bookmarked! Will probably do it within the next 30 days. I think first I need to replace the two ORIGINAL tires on the car. Yes, two of them are 14 yrs. old!

Thanks for the advice, I think a trans fluid change is good PM too.