XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Power Steering additive

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Power Steering additive

I just got the 50ml vial of the PS additive that is supposed to help with the steering noise. I have not poured it in yet. In the bottom of the vial, I can see some small flake-like debris that is white/waxy in color and slowly sinks to the bottom. I assume this is not supposed to be there. Should I strain it out before I dump it into the PS reservoir?

Thanks,

Rufus

Old 04-24-2014, 09:52 PM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufus T. Firefly
I just got the 50ml vial of the PS additive that is supposed to help with the steering noise. I have not poured it in yet. In the bottom of the vial, I can see some small flake-like debris that is white/waxy in color and slowly sinks to the bottom. I assume this is not supposed to be there. Should I strain it out before I dump it into the PS reservoir?

Thanks,

Rufus
Hi Rufus,

The small flake-like debris is supposed to be there, but it is also why you may want to think twice before adding it to your system. Is this additive from Jaguar or a non-Jaguar source?

Is the steering noise you are experiencing coming from the power steering pump, steering rack, the steering wheel itself?

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
AD2014 (05-26-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 10:17 PM

Don, I got it from the Jag dealer.p/n C2S48887. Hard to say exactly where I was hearing the noise from. It is a very slight but noticeable sound when moving the steering wheel. I remember it rose in pitch very slightly when the wheel was turned more quickly.
Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Rufus,

The small flake-like debris is supposed to be there, but it is also why you may want to think twice before adding it to your system. Is this additive from Jaguar or a non-Jaguar source?

Is the steering noise you are experiencing coming from the power steering pump, steering rack, the steering wheel itself?

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; 04-24-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Received 12,725 Likes on 6,373 Posts

Don, I got it from the Jag dealer.p/n C2S48887. Hard to say exactly where I was hearing the noise from. It is a very slight but noticeable sound when moving the steering wheel. I remember it rose in pitch very slightly when the wheel was turned more quickly.
Hi Rufus,

Use the search function at the top of the page to search for "steering wheel noise" or similar terms. I recall seeing posts on this topic. The power steering system additive that you got is probably okay, but since the material in those flakes will coat everything inside the system and be there forever, my personal recommendation would be:

1. Listen carefully around the steering wheel to see if the noise is coming from the steering column. If so, you don't need the additive, you need to resolve the steering column noise.

2. If the noise is coming from somewhere in the front of the car, check your PS fluid level to be sure it is spot on the FULL mark. If it is low, you may have a leak that the additive will not be able to plug.

3. If you have to add fluid, bleed the system by turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times and then re-check the fluid level and add more fluid if necessary.

4. Find the leak and repair it.

5. It is possible that either the PS pump or the PS rack are failing, but leaks due to failing O-rings are common. What is the year and model of your car, and the approximate mileage on the odometer (it's a good idea to add that info to your signature line so folks don't have to ask)?

Cheers,

Don

AD2014 (05-26-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 341 Likes on 259 Posts

I think that the fakes in the bottle are normal solidification of the "heavier" components with time and temperature.
I used the full content (including flakes) to add in the brake circuit, the squeaking noise disappeared on the same day after some driving.
Just be careful to follow on correctly the Jag procedure, and in particular to remove some of the existing fluid from the reservoir before pouring the addtive in, if the level is already full beforehand.

Cheers,

Serge

Old 04-25-2014, 03:52 PM

So which component of the PS system is the additive indicated for? I've only heard the noise once, and really couldn't determine the exact source. Can it hurt if the additive is put in even if the targeted component isn't the source of the noise? And by the way, which component IS the additive for? Pump? Rack?

Thanks,

Rufus

Old 04-25-2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 621 Posts

If you have only heard the noise once I would hold off with the additve until it

gets worse (if it does ).

I suspect that the noise emanates from the seal where the steering column

enters the rack.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

So which component of the PS system is the additive indicated for? I've only heard the noise once, and really couldn't determine the exact source. Can it hurt if the additive is put in even if the targeted component isn't the source of the noise? And by the way, which component IS the additive for? Pump? Rack?

Thanks,

Rufus
Hey Rufus, here's the bulletin

Attached Files
Don B (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:31 PM

Okay I've decided to hold off on adding the fluid until I can determine more precisely where the noise is from. Thanks all for the guidance.

Rufus