XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Radio goes to static

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Radio goes to static

My 04 XJR has developed a bizarre issue. When it is cold, the radio will work fine but then goes to static as if the antenna was disconnected. Usually takes about 5 minutes for this to occur. Never does this above 45 degrees, only when cold. Also, if I hit the rear defrost button, it also goes to static, doesn't matter what temp it is.

Anyone else have this issue before?

Thanks!

Old 12-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts

Not exactly, but it sounds like a short or some sort of electrical interference given the defrost also makes it go funky.

It's not switching to an undefined AM band is it as that happens quite often with these newer heavily digital radios. Especially in areas with a lot of transmission lines.

It is possible that your antenna is losing a good ground and very cold weather could cause enough of a contraction to open up and lose it's contact to ground. Have you taken off the trunk side panel and checked the antenna assembly and wiring? How about trying to leave the side panel off and the next time it does it running a ground wire from the antenna to one of the grounding lugs in the spare tire well to see if the static disappears.

Just some thoughts to get you started.

Last edited by RDMinor; 12-11-2014 at 12:45 PM. Reason: chnage of to or
The following users liked this post:
VinnyT (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Vinny T,

My 05 XJR does the same thing when the defrost button is pushed. The whole audio system also cuts out when I hit a hard bump. I suspect a loose ground but have not looked into it yet.

Will hopefully have time over the Holidays.

Woodford Jag

Old 01-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ditto

I periodically use these search terms "cold jaguar radio cut out" in the hopes of someday finding a solution and came across this post. Jaguar told me the rear window needs to be replaced but they were admittedly guessing. I can add some more details to this from my own experience with the hope it triggers some ideas.

Only happens in the AM when the temp is low enough to trigger the automatic rear defroster

Sometimes comes back on when I come to a stop only to cut out again shortly after.

With the rear defroster on, it doesn't work at all. I haven't tried turning it on during the summer to see if it knocks it out but my guess is that it would.

In the afternoon, it seems to work fine e.g. This morning drove to work, no radio, this afternoon drove home worked fine. Temperature is relatively the same.

Tried hard braking at a stop and radio came back briefly .

Any help would be appreciated and I'll look behind the panel per an earlier suggestion, just not sure what I'm looking for. And I thought the motorized antennas on my old Jaguars was a pain but at least I could replace those.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMinor
Not exactly, but it sounds like a short or some sort of electrical interference given the defrost also makes it go funky....It is possible that your antenna is losing a good ground and very cold weather could cause enough of a contraction to open up and lose it's contact to ground. Have you taken off the trunk side panel and checked the antenna assembly and wiring? How about trying to leave the side panel off and the next time it does it running a ground wire from the antenna to one of the grounding lugs in the spare tire well to see if the static disappears. Just some thoughts to get you started.
Is the antenna assembly under the left side panel where the CD changer/DVD player/GPS are? I have very poor radio reception and the car had a non-dealer installed siriusXM radio that I do not use and it was suggested there might be an antenna switching device that is disconnecting the OEM antenna.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

What type of sirius unit? A pick could help. I had the same issue with the Jaguar after thought sirius unit and resolved it. Search my threads, and you will find my issues and solutions. Let me know, I think I can help with a little more info on the sirius unit you have. I have done all the ant. checks too.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:45 AM

Now we're getting somewhere! I completely forgot I have a XM unit as well, no idea what model. It came with the car, looks aftermarket/dealer installed, and I never used it. Tried to but it's a long, dumb story. An antenna switcher sounds promising given the way it cleanly cuts in and out. I'll search your threads with interest, thank you!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
What type of sirius unit? A pick could help. I had the same issue with the Jaguar after thought sirius unit and resolved it. Search my threads, and you will find my issues and solutions. Let me know, I think I can help with a little more info on the sirius unit you have. I have done all the ant. checks too.
The back of the radio unit says model XDNX1 and on the holder it says XDPIV1. There are three wires in the ash tray area that plugged into the holder.

The unit will come on with a display, and I had read somewhere that Sirius would allow a free trial period to folks who purchased a car with the radio installed, but when I went to their web site to apply it said a trial was not available for my radio so I disconnected it. My wife is not that into listening to a radio while driving, and I myself prefer the CD changer, but it would be nice to get some local stations now and then.

I had also read that the antenna switcher might be behind the dash, but I've not pulled the dash off yet - will need to do that to replace the clock lamp, but have not attempted it yet.

Attached Thumbnails Radio goes to static-100_1652.jpg   Radio goes to static-100_1653.jpg   Radio goes to static-100_1654.jpg  
Old 01-30-2016, 09:25 PM

Phil, read my post in " poor reception" today. The unit in your photos was installed by some hack. Not the Jaguar afterthought. I would rip that piece of junk ALL the way out. Then make sure you have no other units in line between the head unit connection and the connection module located behind the "C" pillar. check for continuity from front to rear. It should should be one line from front to rear. I think you will find your issue fixed, and be happy without that monster unit in your beautiful dash. Then you will beable to close the ashtray.
The included attachment explains the system, and location.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sat_Radio_Install.pdf (1.98 MB, 232 views)

Last edited by Mark in Maine; 01-31-2016 at 09:39 AM. Reason: added attachment
The following users liked this post:
philwarner (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mark in Maine
Phil, read my post in " poor reception" today. The unit in your photos was installed by some hack. Not the Jaguar afterthought. I would rip that piece of junk ALL the way out. Then make sure you have no other units in line between the head unit connection and the connection module located behind the "C" pillar. check for continuity from front to rear. It should should be one line from front to rear. I think you will find your issue fixed, and be happy without that monster unit in your beautiful dash. Then you will beable to close the ashtray. The included attachment explains the system, and location.
Thanks, Mark,

I read both and the installation pdf was a lot more involved than I would have thought. Are all the pdf locations the same for the XJ? I'll try disconnecting the power and control wire from the unit in the boot first (behind the right boot side panel, right?) and see if my reception improves.

BTW1, I had just set the sirius unit back in the ash tray for the photo; the ash tray is otherwise clear except for the remaining sirius connectors which can be pushed back to the hole in the back as in the first photo. Since we don't smoke the ash tray is a recepticle for pens when closed and a place to set spare reading glasses when it is open to keep them from sliding around - kind of an auxiliary to the very limited space in the center cubby.

BTW2, in one thread I think you said it was not necessary to remove the console to remove the clock? Were you speaking of the XJ? I think the X350 manual has console removal as a major step in the clock removal process.

Attached Thumbnails Radio goes to static-100_1652.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 06:26 PM

Yes the install is exactly the same as S-type, with the same locations. That is if they installed your unit like the Jaguar unit. I checked, you are correct that the console has to be removed, prior to the wood facia for clock removal. But don't be intimidated by pulling the console, I was until I did it. After you pull it once you'll say "thats it?". There are no friction clips like many panels that are hard to remove and refasten, exccept for the front. But you dont have to yank or pull hard, just wiggle and pull lightly. Now, having someone else (non-Jag) pull my wood dash panels is not an option for me. If someone else broke some pegs which made my wood rattle, I would be pissed every time I drove it.
Funny thing is, that only when I activated my $$ XM subscription after my free trial, my Sirius died. I canceled my subscription "due to death". HA,HA

Old 04-19-2017, 06:19 AM
Default More Information

Today I made a confounding discovery and I have no idea what to do with this information other than to post it here and hope it sparks innovation.

This morning, Temperature 39 degrees, got in car, radio was fine.

Temperature went down to 38 degrees while driving, radio cut out.

This continued the entire trip as the temperature vacillated between 38 and 39 degrees. I could see it, as soon as it changed, the radio reacted.

Maddening. Blows the whole 'contracting and expanding metal' theory and points to some sort of thermal switch. Also probably blows the 'Replace the rear windscreen' theory as well.