XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

shine on

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shine on

hey to all;

As mentioned previously I have a 2006 xj8l - It's in pristine/excellent shape, no dings,scratches, etc.,
I want to give it a really good detail(which I plan to do myself).
There are so many various products and product claims out there, I was trying to get some expert advise on what products/brands work best & which ones I should purchase.
I have been told that the only way to get a really great shine is to "clay-bar" the exterior prior to using any polishes and/or waxes. Do you guys/gals agree with that??

Anyway, the info I would like:

1) Best polish/wax
2) Best leather cleaner
3) Best product for the wood
4) Best applicator(s) to use for each job

thx much,
George

Old 01-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: shine on

Yes, clay bars are great! I recommend look at Sonus products. But if you don't want to order from the internet, Meguiar's has always been my favorite to buy in a store. Maybe look at buying a Sonus or Meguiar's Kit like one of these. Meguiar's Kit Sonus's Kit Meguiar's is great, but Sonus is better, to put it simply. That's why Sonus is a little more expensive. But isn't your baby worth it!?!? [8D]
Oh!! almost forgot. Type in this code when you check out at Autopia to get 10% off your entire order! the code is- AUTOPIA
Never would have guessed that code, huh? I hope I was some help!

(sorry about the apostrophes, its a website glitch)

The following users liked this post:
Art (04-28-2011)
Old 01-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. That's some cyber speech impediment.

Is this paint different from normal paint. I've do a lot of detailing and buffing on my own vehicles and have never had such a hard time taking down even minimal scratches on this car. I usually use Meguires Scratch X but it did nothing to take out scratches on this car. I think I'm going to have to get out the big guns for this one.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Megiars medium clay bar is what I have been using for years without an issue. Use the clay bar first, then a hand glaze or polish, followed up by wax. Make sure to use the clar bar on the glass and lenses too.

As for glazes and waxes, lots of opinions, most have only used a couple of brands, so not sure how valid their opinion is. That being said, I have been using both Megiars Machine Glaze by hand or 3M's Hand Glaze (both work well) followed by Collinite's Carnuba wax (which I really adore).

Old 02-04-2009, 03:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep it simple. don't worry too much about brands etc.

clay bar is great- use lots of detail spray when you do it- don't skimp on the lubrication- work small sections.

polish
wax or sealant- many will use a synthetic sealant and top later (at least 24 hrs) with carnuba for a deeper, warmer glow as syn sealants give a mirror like glisten- most pro detailers consider carnuba was old fashioned and short length of time coverage- i use synth topped with carnuba-

** if your car is faded, lots of contaminents etc you could do a cleaner before the polish- a good basic set up is meguiars deep crystal system which for 20 bucks of so gives you 3 steps- you will have to buy the clay set up separately-

use microfiber towells for removal and foam applicators for application-

a good car wash can come from turtle wax or meguairs or mothers or . . . any are fine.

Gold class leather from Meguairs if great stuff- my buddy owns a high end bev hills leather interior shop and they use it for quick touch ups- wanna spend more money? leatherique products. more $? connoly leather hide food. i use meguiars on my 911.

NOW- these are basic store brands and all work just fine. if you want or feel that spending more money will get you better results you're right, sometimes. but, application is the key- a true pro can do more with a high speed buffer and basic products than an amateur with the highest prices products-

if you're in LA I can refer you to the best detailer in the west. But, doing it yourself is fun and rewarding.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Microfiber towels are great, but you have to wash them seperately...