XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

side marker lights don't light up!

Old 12-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Received 255 Likes on 143 Posts

Try removing your markers and check the bulb and wiring connectors for corrosion.
My markers stopped working, checked connections-two fell apart.
I had to purchase replacement connectors from Autozone.
No problems yet.

Old 12-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Banned
Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

It don't?

Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM
cjd
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

OK...got around to this project. I pulled both bulbs, which checked good, and then realized that the front amber lights are just repeaters of the turn signals. So they don't light up with the headlights on...Duh!!

So for anyone else following this thread and who is worrying about your (US) amber forward side lights...they are signal repeaters, not parking marker lights. Try your turn signal to see if they work.

Oh well...!

John

Last edited by cjd; 01-03-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Smile

Photo for all members who do not have an Owners Manual.

Attached Thumbnails side marker lights don't light up!-2004_jaguar_xj8_vanden_plas_side-lamps.jpg  
The following 5 users liked this post by reyesl:
2ManyCars (04-09-2013), anindyam (10-25-2013), joeldietzjr (10-27-2023), philwarner (02-21-2016), Thermite (09-04-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 03:57 PM
TJC
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you know the part number you ordered from AutoZone? My front and rear marker lamps are corroded. The dealership only sells a complete wiring harness?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, a part number would be helpful. I tried to pick up a couple at autozone and they could not find a part # that would work.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:35 AM

Sorry, I am currently deployed and do not have the part number. I did an "in-store" purchase and took the bad connector and did a close match with one from AutoZone. I had to trim the tabs to match the Jags but it is currently working fine.

I'd rather be

Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
TJC
Default Images and Further Description of Marker Light Connectors

The black connectors are wired to the vehicle harness. The white/grey connector (that holds the ligh tbulb) attaches to the backside of the marker assembly. These black and white/grey connectors attach to each other and are held together by a metal clip. The black connector is available through the dealer as part of a wiring harness; the white connector is available as a part of the marker assembly. WE ARE TRYING TO FIND THE CONNECTORS SOLD SEPARATELY. I have attached two pictures of a black connector (it has corroded inside). I have attached another picture of a black connector as it attaches to the white/grey
connector; this particular black connector is a replacement connector that was already spliced into the wiring harness from the previous owner. There are several part markings available for these parts. I have had no success finding these parts available on the internet. The original black connectors have Tyco and Jaguar markings with the following numbers: 133700-1, PBT-30GF, and 2W9T-14A464-JA. The replacement black connector on my vehicle is marked AMP 347882. Every white/grey connector is marked PA6 GF30.

Attached Thumbnails side marker lights don't light up!-harness-connector-front-view.jpg   side marker lights don't light up!-harness-connector-side-view.jpg   side marker lights don't light up!-harness-connector-lamp-connector.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by TJC:
Partick the Cat (10-22-2013), QuikCat (10-28-2013), Thermite (09-04-2013)
Old 04-10-2013, 05:30 PM
TJC

The grey/white connector appears to cross-reference with a VW/Audi part; number 1H0949111 and is referred to as a bulb socket. This VW part number makes finding the part a lot easier on the internet. The black connector is referred to as a plug housing on similar VW parts websites. I'm trying to locate the exact plug housing that fits with the above bulb socket. I think VW part 357972752 will connect with the bulb socket.

The following users liked this post:
rcannon (03-23-2015)
Old 04-27-2013, 09:15 AM
TJC
Default VW Parts fixed the problem!

I used Volkswagen parts to fix this problem. You could snip the parts off of a junkyard Jaguar, but it's probably easier to find a VW in the junkyard. I found several Volkswagen Mark III Golfs, Jettas, and Cabriolets. These were US-spec cars made from 1991-1999; they all had the side marker lamps in the front bumper (I've attached pictures of these cars). The VW part numbers that I referenced in my earlier posts are correct. However, the part number for the wiring harness plug housing only corressponds to the plastic housing; it doesn't correspond to the actual wire and terminals; if you try to buy the plug housing online it will probably come without the wires and terminals needed for this job. You should be able to order the VW bulb socket part online, this part will come complete but it is more expensive than finding a used part in the junkyard. That being said, the junkyard and a pair of wire snips is the cheapest and most effective solution to this problem. I was able to fit a VW bulb socket directly into the existing Jaguar plug housing (as shown in the pictures). I had to splice one VW plug housing onto the harness where a Jaguar plug housing had rusted through; this wiring job is made a lot easier when you snip enough wire for a pigtail when you're removing parts from the junkyard cars. Be patient and use the owners manual for instructions on how to remove the lamp assemblies before you begin; You shouldn't need a screw driver to remove the lamps from the car; you'll probably only damage the plastic.

Attached Thumbnails side marker lights don't light up!-mark-iii-golf.jpg   side marker lights don't light up!-mark-iii-jetta.jpg   side marker lights don't light up!-mark-iii-cabriolet.jpg   side marker lights don't light up!-photo-1.jpg   side marker lights don't light up!-photo-2.jpg  

side marker lights don't light up!-photo-3.jpg   side marker lights don't light up!-photo-4.jpg  
The following 4 users liked this post by TJC:
Hogger (11-05-2021), Partick the Cat (10-22-2013), QuikCat (10-28-2013), Thermite (09-04-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 09:21 AM
TJC

Error in posting, see previous post

Last edited by TJC; 04-27-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Double-Post
Old 10-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Had the XJR into the dealer for some other work, and they identified the side marker lights being out. They quoted me $68.16 each. The part numbers are as follows:

JAC2C2049 > LAMP-SIDE MARKER
JAC2C2050 > LAMP-SIDE MARKER
JAC2C2051 > LAMP-SIDE MARKER

Both my front and one rear are out. The part numbers don't indicate which ones are which. They also quoted me $254 for labor to rewire the sockets. Decided to pass on having them do the work. Think I'll check the junkyard for some VWs.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:47 PM

Got this at AutoZone to replace 2 bad bulb holders/connectors:

Attached Thumbnails side marker lights don't light up!-marker-light-bulb-holder-fix.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by reyesl:
QuikCat (10-23-2013), viper1996 (12-28-2016)
Old 10-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Thanks for posting that pic. If I don't have any luck at the junkyard this weekend, I'll be heading to AutoZone.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuikCat
Had the XJR into the dealer for some other work, and they identified the side marker lights being out. They quoted me $68.16 each. The part numbers are as follows:

JAC2C2049 > LAMP-SIDE MARKER > Right Rear
JAC2C2050 > LAMP-SIDE MARKER > Left Rear
JAC2C2051 > LAMP-SIDE MARKER > Right Front

Both my front and one rear are out. The part numbers don't indicate which ones are which. They also quoted me $254 for labor to rewire the sockets. Decided to pass on having them do the work. Think I'll check the junkyard for some VWs.
The above are part numbers for the lenses, not the sockets. Not sure why the dealer quoted those as my lense are fine. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they were thinking the lense sockets were broken... On second thought, I think they were just trying to make a buck.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by TJC
I used Volkswagen parts to fix this problem. You could snip the parts off of a junkyard Jaguar, but it's probably easier to find a VW in the junkyard. I found several Volkswagen Mark III Golfs, Jettas, and Cabriolets. These were US-spec cars made from 1991-1999; they all had the side marker lamps in the front bumper
That being said, the junkyard and a pair of wire snips is the cheapest and most effective solution to this problem. I was able to fit a VW bulb socket directly into the existing Jaguar plug housing (as shown in the pictures). I had to splice one VW plug housing onto the harness where a Jaguar plug housing had rusted through; this wiring job is made a lot easier when you snip enough wire for a pigtail when you're removing parts from the junkyard cars. Be patient and use the owners manual for instructions on how to remove the lamp assemblies before you begin; You shouldn't need a screw driver to remove the lamps from the car; you'll probably only damage the plastic.
Went to the local Pick and Pull, and found a couple VWs as listed above (thanks again for the info TJC!). Was able to pop out the lenses, and cut the wires to the socket. Total cost of $5 (for 5 sockets) and 20 minutes. The VW sockets are almost identical to the Jag's, with the spring clip being the only apparent difference. I was able to solder in the new plugs without issue, and used the Jag's spring clips instead of the VWs. The VWs stick out a little far, causing interference when slipping the entire socket back into the vehicle.

Attached Thumbnails side marker lights don't light up!-sockets.jpeg  
Old 02-01-2014, 02:07 PM
lsp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a rear side marker light burned out -- the bulb holder was all corroded; found this thread, thank goodness. The jag dealer wanted several hundred dollars to replace the whole wiring harness, etc. Seemed hard to comprehend.

So, I can confirm that the VW part cited earlier (VW part # 1H0 949 111), which VW calls a 'socket', is a perfect fit and replacement for the bulb holder portion of the wiring harness. This part can be removed from its mating half by removing the wire retainer and wiggling the two sections apart.

Furthermore, if the other half of the Jag part is corroded/destroyed (mine was in fine shape, it was the bulb/holder interface that was corroded), I believe that other half is called a "2 pole female AMP junior timer connector". You can find a replacement at eagleday.com -- make sure to get the kit which includes the plastic piece and the metal terminals. Instead of having to cut/solder the wires, you can disassemble/remove the original, rewire with the new connector, and avoid having spliced/soldered wires in your system. Here is a link (assuming it's allowed) to one source for the part: 2-Pole Female AMP Jr Power Timer Connectors NOTE: in looking at the pic of the linked part, I'm not 100% sure the connector is the same? You could also consider just removing and replacing the metal terminals, though it is my impression the existing ones aren't easy to get out of the connector -- I think you may need a special tool to remove them. Nevertheless, the plastic portion should be reusable, if necessary.

I believe the VW part number for the other half of the housing is: 357972752, which I am guessing includes the housing and the terminals. This Mercedes part (only $1.40) might also work: 0075451626 -- pics don't appear to include the terminal, just the housing.

Here is a link to a discussion of the parts on a VW forum:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3299285

Last edited by lsp; 02-01-2014 at 02:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rcannon (03-23-2015)
Old 02-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by TJC
The black connectors are wired to the vehicle harness.

The original black connectors have Tyco and Jaguar markings with the following numbers: 133700-1, PBT-30GF, and 2W9T-14A464-JA. The replacement black connector on my vehicle is marked AMP 347882. Every white/grey connector is marked PA6 GF30.
AMP 347882 is very probably an 'Amphenol' ref number; they make plugs.

PTB-30GF is the material the body of the plug is made of.

2W9T-14A464-JA seems to be a Ford ref number.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Just spent two days researching every aspect of this. The rear side markers corrode, not only the bulb socket, but the harness module also. Your local Advance Parts or Auto Zone have a generic "License Sidemarker Socket" Part No. 85868. It calls for a bulb (194) but I use the stock factory recommended bulb(2825) to keep the power draw the same on the electrical system. Cut the entire old Harness and Socket out as they were completely corroded, then wire in the new piece from Auto Zone. Works great and save a bundle!

I'm constantly on the search for interchangeable parts for this car, if you have any, let me know.

The aftermarket plug didn't fit as tight as I liked so I put a zip tie to hold it into place better. This is upside down but once righted, it works great. To get the marker out, pry-out from the top.

The following 3 users liked this post by XJ8er:
Hogger (11-05-2021), joeldietzjr (10-27-2023), philwarner (02-21-2016)
Old 02-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for this thread, guys. The owner's manual does not tell you how to replace the lamps in these and in fact tells you that they slide forward to come out which is wrong. Thanks for the description on how to pry the lenses out at the top and for the picture showing the back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: side marker lights don't light up!