XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Some free floormats, but first; a cautionary tale....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 02:47 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Some free floormats, but first; a cautionary tale....

My recent attempts to obtain new floor mats have turned into a real 'cluster ****', and since I have been unable to correct the mistake which caused it, the best I can do is warn anyone else who might order the same way I did.

The mat supplier is Lloyds Mats; their quality & delivery are above reproach, but if you place an order with them, even though you THINK that you are dealing directly with them, you are, in fact, dealing with a retailer called CARid. These people are good to deal with also (though woefully short-staffed). The problem shows up when you try to specify the exact type of car you are ordering for. Their ordering process asks you to specify what YEAR of car you have. "2004" Then you are prompted to pick a MAKE from the drop-down list. "JAGUAR". So far, so good. But the next drop-down list under the heading MODEL lists "S", "Super V8", "Vanden Plas", "X-Type", "XJ8", etc., etc. I have an XJ8 Base, but when I click on "XJ8", it automatically prompts a subscript "L" which (apparently) indicates a long wheelbase car. There is no way to go around, or ignore, or correct this "L" You have to accept it to proceed. I did, without knowing exactly what "L" stood for, and now have a lovely set of mats that are 7 inches too long for my rear foot wells. If I had fibbed a bit,and told the computer that I had an XJ8 Vanden Plas, ta-da! there is another little drop-down that asks 'short wheelbase' or 'long wheelbase'? Whoever created this menu (and I have tried desperately to locate them) doesn't seem to realize that "Vanden Plas" is essentially a trim level on a Jag sedan, not a whole different beast. I have seen X-Types and S-Types in Vanden Plas trim as well, though only the XJ series offers a choice of wheelbase lengths. To complicate matters even further, I ordered mats in "SADDLE" on the strength of the colour samples shown on the website. To be fair, the website DOES say the actual colours may not be as shown on various computer monitors; the actual mats are very close in colour to the cardboard box they came in. I would say they are about the shade of medium Maple Syrup. (But, then, I'm Canadian, Eh?) OKAY, about the shade of Southern Comfort; is that better? Problem is, I don't think they suit my car interior.

The upshot of all this is that there are a properly sized set of mats in "SAND" en route, and I have a brand-new set of mats for a LWB XJ8 in "SADDLE" (see above) with the Union Jack embroidered into them that I would be happy to give to anyone who can use them; just pay the postage. I would prefer to send them to someplace other than the US, as I have extensive experience in trying to return soft goods, manufactured in the US, BACK into the US, and I would rather climb into the bathtub holding a toaster, but 'What the Hell, I'll try anything by now."

Old 04-27-2017, 03:14 PM
Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

Sorry for your troubles, but glad you see the humor in all of this. Good luck with the giveaway

Old 04-27-2017, 04:45 PM
Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts

I noticed this when ordering. I selected 2004 XJR since that only came in short wheelbase. Mats arrived yesterday and fit fine.

Old 04-29-2017, 12:37 AM
Received 345 Likes on 207 Posts

Out of curiosity, do these have holes for the hooks under the front seat? I know the factory floor mats do, but I have a set of aftermarket mats that don't. The driver's mat slides around as a result...

Old 04-29-2017, 08:38 AM

The driver's side (left-hand side) mat has the two grometted holes for the hooks in the floor to keep it from creeping forward. As I said, the Lloyd mats are of outstanding quality and fit. I recommend them highly.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a question, is the toaster plugged or unplugged? For sophisticated people like us, that information makes a "yuuge" difference!

Old 04-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by BlacXJRcat
I have a question, is the toaster plugged or unplugged? For sophisticated people like us, that information makes a "yuuge" difference!
Plugged in. Just pray the GFI is working

Old 04-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Scott Neilly
Plugged in. Just pray the GFI is working
That's what I thought! I suppose any toaster brand works. Thanks.

Oh, and sorry for the floor mats fiasco.

Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Received 254 Likes on 202 Posts

My slate or blue/grey 2006 has light grey leather and darker carpet. What color is that on the website?
The originals still look presentable, but 107,000 miles and 11 years have degraded them. The manufacture date is listed on each. Fronts mid 2006 and rear late 2005. Assume that means car was assembled mid to late 2006.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had two 2004 VDPs and discovered there was an early mat and a later mat in production. For the early ones, the nap of the mat is longer than the standard XJ but it is not as long as the nap in the later 2004 VDP. The nap on the later 2004 VDPs mats is as long as a 2005 and later. I need the longer nap for my 2006 VDP. And all I actually need is the front mats so it doesn't matter if your mats are for the shorter wheelbase. I still have the correct tan mats in the rear. I realize you want to sell all four mats as a set.

If you can post a picture of the mats I can probably tell if they are the longer or shorter nap.

How much do you want for the set of four?

Old 06-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,755 Likes on 1,326 Posts

You are replying to a 3 + year old post.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:29 PM
Received 214 Likes on 148 Posts

Whats even funnier is that I ended up with his mats. Great deal, thanks again Robert, you made my day.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:55 PM

Glad you're enjoying them. The replacements are 'Sand" , about the colour of a coffee with three creamers in it. They are a proper biatch to keep clean, but sure do dress up the interior.