XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Speaker/Audio 2006 XJ8

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Originally Posted by moto250cr
Drifter,

My car is doing the exact same thing as yours. I have a 2006 VDP and unless I put the fade almost all the way to the back, all I can hear are the very front speakers. There is no way this is from corroded wires all at the same time. Mine happened after my wife left the lt ft window down about 2 inches and it rained very hard over night. The door panel was soaked (along with the carpet) and it hasn't played right since. Let me know what you come up with.

Chris

Since the speakers fail so frequently due to constant exposure to moisture, the quickest and easiest way to diagnose is to pull the door panels and use a tone generator to test the speakers and use a tone tracer to confirm the speaker wires are functioning while playing sound from the headunit. Use your fader and balance controls to isolate the channels.

Old 05-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Speakers XJ8 2006

Finally had time to get something done. Went to Best Buy and they tested the speakers from the amplifier connector. It seems the four large (bottom of doors) speakers all have gone. The Amp is OK which was a relief. So I went to get the door panels off but seem to be missing something. Have got the door handle area screw out, the two screws under the door pull handle are also out and the screw that is in the center from underneath the panel going in an upward direction was missing. Can someone please help on how to get the door panel off. I tried moving the wood trim around the door handle as per my 1989 VDP thinking there may be additional screws behind the wood trim but could not move the trim.
So hopefully someone can guide me on door panel removal. Am beginning to think I am turning into a dumdum. Thanks

Peter

Old 05-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Thanks for posting the pic. Can you guide me on door panel removal please. I believe I have all the screws out but do not seem tyo be able to get the door panel off.

Thanks

Peter

Old 05-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,274 Likes on 1,427 Posts

There are only 3 screws as you found. The plastic fasteners are VERY tight, door panel removal tool would help a lot.

Glad it is just the speakers, probably the same problem I posted about previously and an easy fix.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 PM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

I think there were 4 screws in my 04 XJR, but the panel was VERY tight. My door panel removal tool wouldn;t do it and I had to use a pickle fork to pop the panel off.

The following users liked this post:
Drifter8282 (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Default Speakers XJ8 2006 update

Yes....it was the speaker wiring. The large door speakers are now working. I still have to do the two rear parcel shelf speakers and it looks as if I can get at them through the trunk by taking off the liner. Will try that unless someone knows which is the best way to get at them.
One of the small door speakers in the door has a capacitor that is damaged and that little speaker is not working. I have impedance across the speaker so it looks like I need a capacitor but as it is physically damaged I can not see what size it is. Does anyone know what the size is ?

Peter

Old 05-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well...I was wrong. My apologies to all. They CAN all fail at the same time. And yes, I agree, it probably was one by one until it was all four. I just got done rewiring the four bottom speakers and it is working perfectly. I wouldn't have believed it unless I hadn't done it myself. I used a little different method since my soldering skills are apparently horrible. I cut off the tabs with my die grinder (carefully) where the wires were soldered after I realized that the remaining tab is the same size as a 16 guage push connector. I simply, and I use that term loosely, crimped on the push connector and plugged them up. Now my wife will half to find something else to put on my honey-do list. Next project is the back up sensor. It goes through stages of working. It will either work perfectly or will just give a long beep like something is behind me when I first put it in reverse and not work at all. Must be a forum for that in here somewhere. Oh, and those door panels are VERY hard to pull off. Thanks All!!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:45 PM

gmcgann....I had to use a 12" x 1 1/2" crowbar to get the rear door panels off. Thanks for the heads up.

Peter

Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 PM

hummer I had to use a 12" x 1 1/2" crowbar for the rear door panels to get them off. I could hardly believe it. Thanks for the heads up.

Peter

Old 05-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Received 125 Likes on 65 Posts

If I ever have to remove the door panels a second time it will be much easier, because now I know there are no hidden screws holding it on. The amount of force I had to use the first time would have ripped out any remaining screws, which made me very hesitant and uncomfortable. Next time, just hand me my crowbar! ;-}

Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 XJ-8. The audio system just suddently stopped omitting sound. I get nothing from the navagation voice either. I was told that it is the phone module. The dealer sells this thing for over $2,000.00 Anyone have any idea if this module can be bypassed and if so who can perform the work......

Old 05-08-2012, 02:30 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jonesj192
I have a 2004 XJ-8. The audio system just suddently stopped omitting sound. I get nothing from the navagation voice either. I was told that it is the phone module. The dealer sells this thing for over $2,000.00 Anyone have any idea if this module can be bypassed and if so who can perform the work......
I had the same problem and the dealer diagnosed the Amp at $1400. I'm still waiting for the amp to arrive from somewhere in England.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:06 PM

I was also told it was the amp by a licensed repair facility. I purchased a used amp and had it installed at a the facility and Guess what? That was not the problem! So I took the car to the dealer (which I should have done in the first place), they checked both the original amp and the used one that I purchased and found them both to be good. They then confirmed the phone module to be bad. If your interested your welcome to this used amp I have, just pay to have it shipped because I have no use for it. I'm tryong to locate a used phone module because they are no longer available through the dealer..........

Old 05-09-2012, 02:45 AM

I was advised yesterday that the Amp had arrived. The dealer is 4 hours away and I have an appointment next Friday. Hopefully after all this it won't be something else. It was the dealer who diagnosed the Amp so I have my fingers crossed. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the offer but the dealer indicated the amp might need to be programmed, so it would need to be installed by the dealer. I wouldn't want to go back now with my own amp after they ordered one.

Cheers

Old 05-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Hi Jones,

Would be happy to pay for the shipping for the used amp. Let me know the cost and will get it paid. I can use paypal or how would you like to be paid ? I would be happy to pay towards your cost of it also. Here is my email.. .....I live in the North West Seattle area. I can send my address to you off line.

Peter.

Last edited by Drifter8282; 05-09-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifter8282
Hi Jones,

Would be happy to pay for the shipping for the used amp. Let me know the cost and will get it paid. I can use paypal or how would you like to be paid ? I would be happy to pay towards your cost of it also. Here is my email.....I live in the North West Seattle area. I can send my address to you off line.

Peter.
Remove your e-mail address from the post before a spammer bot picks it up....

The following users liked this post:
Drifter8282 (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 05:28 PM

Tommy, Thanks, done. Peter

Old 05-19-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fairlane500
I was advised yesterday that the Amp had arrived. The dealer is 4 hours away and I have an appointment next Friday. Hopefully after all this it won't be something else. It was the dealer who diagnosed the Amp so I have my fingers crossed. I'll let you know what happens.
s
Had the amp installed yesterday. At first it wouldn't work, but after doing a hard reset everything is fine.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fairlane500
I had the same problem and the dealer diagnosed the Amp at $1400. I'm still waiting for the amp to arrive from somewhere in England.
I was also told it was the amp. Then i purchased one, pluged it in and had the same problem. That left me with a amp that I had no use for. I just promissed it to another member on this forum.........Thanks Fairlane and good luck

Old 04-10-2018, 05:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Cambo,
The link to the wiring dia is no longer working could you please update the link?
Thanks,
Roger

Quick Reply: Speaker/Audio 2006 XJ8